relax

Author Topic: WOOHOO, Singles Board!  (Read 22798 times)

CountingZestfully

Re: WOOHOO, Singles Board!
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »
I think the true problem is that everyone wanted a singles board, but simply introducing yourself with your age and stats isn't really enticing enough to anyone to make them want to respond. I mean, online dating, using a full profile and pictures and everything, already doesn't have a huge response rate. A message board posting by itself isn't going to do much to liven up your social life either. Offline events are the way to go, however, it's hard to schedule for maximum attendance. Also, there's no guarantee that there will be people there who meet your basic criteria (e.g., age, looks, interests, etc.). My advice would be to pay attention to the people posting. If you like what they write, PM them. If they're interested, they'll write back. Then either get to know each other online or meet up and see if there's chemistry. That's the way it was done way back when message boards were the entirety of the internet. You can't just post "hey, I'm single, get at me" and expect the hotties to pile up at your door.

Offline HI575857

• Activist
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
Hmm, I agree with you CountingZestfully on most accounts.

I don't agree with PMing random people you don't know anything about except that you like what they randomly write.

I'd vote creating your own thread (as opposed to just doing a shout out on this thread) with more detailed information about yourself and what you're looking for and see who contacts you. Maybe suggest an activity.

My 2 cents.

CountingZestfully

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
I guess it was too subtly implied that you would engage in discourse on the boards first by replying to their messages before PMing. But even without that, a PM saying, "Hey, what you wrote was really cool" is a nice in. It's about starting small and building from there, not PMing saying, "Hey, you sound hot, wanna get together?" I doubt that would ever go over well. It's a mistake that people make offline as well as online, jumping too far ahead too soon. It's exactly why just walking up to someone hot and telling them that you're looking for a new boyfriend/girlfriend is a creepy move. There's a progression. First you say hi, you establish a rapport by sharing small (sometimes impersonal), basic bits of info, and then move to more in-depth conversation. When you just dive in to the more intimate stuff, you are forcing someone to make an evaluative decision about you without enough information, and you're more likely than not to get rejected.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
Hey, CountingZestfully, you're pretty hot. Wanna get a few drinks and I'll help put the "sensual" back into "non-consensual" for ya?  :wink:

11105ASTNY

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
I like the activity today on this board, does people actually hook up from this site.
Please send me your feed back, good or bad I want to hear about them. Thanks

11105ASTNY

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
Both of you guys make a good point, I think what we need is a matchmaker. Someone who can come up with some
qualifying standards to make a match of some sort, chemistry starts when people have stuff in common. I wonder who
would be such a person to play match maker !!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
I like the activity today on this board, does people actually hook up from this site.

I know of three couples that have come out of interactions with this board (one marriage out of those three, and two stable, long term relationships).  Possibly a fourth, but I know less details about that one.

11105ASTNY

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »
Megc,

Good to know, I guess I am just old fashion but I don't know how to envision hooking up with anyone online.
I guess from hearing nightmare stories anyways glad to hear of your positive feed back. Whats your deal, have you met any cool people from this site??

CountingZestfully

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
Hey, CountingZestfully, you're pretty hot. Wanna get a few drinks and I'll help put the "sensual" back into "non-consensual" for ya?  :wink:

hey para, I've always got time for a hot lady like you. Let's do it! ;)

CountingZestfully

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »
Both of you guys make a good point, I think what we need is a matchmaker. Someone who can come up with some
qualifying standards to make a match of some sort, chemistry starts when people have stuff in common. I wonder who
would be such a person to play match maker !!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I've always dreamed of being a matchmaker or dating coach or something along those lines, but it's much, much harder than it looks, if only for the reason that I just don't know enough people to be able to find them a suitable match within my network. I think I'd rather try to get my own dating quandaries settled before meddling in those of others...

11105ASTNY

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
Good point, always best to look out for number one first before setting up anyone else.
Now inquire mind would like to know more about you!!

CountingZestfully

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Good point, always best to look out for number one first before setting up anyone else.
Now inquire mind would like to know more about you!!
I'm happily single and not looking. Sorry.

11105ASTNY

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
Good for you, always good to be happy, single or not.
Happiness comes from within  :lol:

11105ASTNY

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »
Wow I guess all activity stop when the site was down yesterday.
Whats a fun thing to do as a single person in Astoria this weekend?

Offline astorianita

• Resident
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
We should have another mixer soon!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life