relax

Author Topic: WOOHOO, Singles Board!  (Read 21393 times)

haziemal

Re: WOOHOO, Singles Board!
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
Awww, thanks for the vote of confidence handyman!   :mrgreen:

Good luck with your new kitty. She sounds adorable.

Offline murph

• Activist
    • Kevin Murphy - IT Consultant
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
The tristate area is full of single women, while the West Coast is teeming with single men!!    :-) :-(

now with proof!!
http://gothamist.com/2008/04/04/map_of_the_day_142.php

While Forbes named NYC as one of the top singles cities in America last year, it turns out the reason why there are so many singles here is because women out number men by roughly 210,000. Things are not looking good, ladies. Apparently we are living in the worst "mating market" in the country!

single/m/34, spent most of the winter weekends at Mt Snow, VT snowboarding. need to get back in the dating pool. i would definitely come to a local mixer.

Offline kyle

• Activist
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 06:44:42 PM »
I don't buy that there are more single women than guys in the NY area.  How come when you go to a bar in 'the city' or Astoria or LIC, it's mostly men there, with barely any women?

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
I suppose it could be that women are less inclined to spend long hours in bars. Or maybe drunk girls are so desirable, they get married off right away.

It seems like I see a considerable number of women working out in health clubs I pass by.

In olden days, I took some evening cooking classes in an adult education thingy at Bryant High School, and found the ratio to my advantage.

Museums, libraries, movie theaters (for some movies), I see women at these places.

CountingZestfully

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
One, that's what bedroom doors are for.    8-) :mrgreen: :wink: :angel: :rock: :2cool:

That works for some cats. Mine will beat down the door and cause me more grief than if I just let them in the room. I thought that moving up from a studio to a 1 bedroom would be good for a kitty-free sleeping space, but nope. That experiment lasted a half hour. I suppose if I'd been able to put up with them throwing themselves against the door and yowling until they realized I wouldn't open the door, it might have worked, but I was afraid that they would hurt themselves.

Also, about what I said about not dating a guy with cats, I'm not completely serious about that. First, I have yet to meet a guy with cats that I'd date, because usually he had something else going on that was a dealbreaker. If he was otherwise perfect for me and had cats, I wouldn't turn him down for that. It's just a preference, not a mandatory thing. So y'all can unbunch your panties now.

Offline globewalker

• Activist
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
Bringing it back in focus...

I too am single, 30, and would be up for a mixer/speed dating.  I've done the speed dating thing once and it was HILARIOUS!  I didn't have high expectations and had a really good time - didn't meet anyone to date but I would definitely do it again for the experience of it.  Oh, and I recommend its at a local watering hole...alcohol really does help ease the awkwardness :)

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
hello   im 47/m/divorced/astoria   im brian

Offline rollergirl

• Tourist
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
Yet another single female here.  I'm 33 and live near Broadway.  Definitely would be into attending a singles event.

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »
i agree with you let get single event started.47/m/astoria/divorced

Offline ferna47

• Activist
  • 5 Time Sports Trivia Champion
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2008, 01:43:57 AM »
Single male here in the Ditmars area. i'll be turning 27 on Monday so I have that going for me.

Offline tommy48

• Resident
to Astoria females
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
my name is Tommy . i'm single , living in Astoria. i ask myself , where have all the good girls gone . it's very difficult to find a match. maybe there's someone in astorians.com

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »
I see there is an interest in having a singles mixer.  I had recommended that we have the week of the 20th, at Indigo, next to the 30th Avenue stop.  However, people were still introducing themselves, so it might have just got overlooked.

What does everyone think about Wednesday, April 23, at 7:00 PM, at Indigo?  My logic with the choice of time and location, is that it's the middle of the week and who doesn't need an excuse to hang out to get over the "hump."?  I thought about Indigo because there was a previous mixer there and I believe that they have an upstairs area that can be reserved.  It's convenient for anyone who takes the N/W.  Here's their website (warning: you may want to turn the volume down on your computer if you're at work; I found out the hard way) http://www.indigobarnyc.com/

Anyway, that's my recommendation.  I can contact the owner of Indigo or someone who is a regular or knows them better can inquire about reserving space there.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »
That's quite a popular night!  There's an Astoria Dining Out Meetup that has a get together that same night.  Funny, I joined that to meet more people too!  Hmm,  now I won't know which one to go to.  I'm torn!

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
Sounds good to me!  I think we were all just waiting for someone to organize something.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2008, 12:33:39 PM »
Simply add your name to the list.  If we get about twenty or so interested singles by the middle of the week, we can start making definite plans. 

What: Singles Mixer
Where: Indigo Bar, @ 28-50 31st Street, Astoria (Just a recommendation, if someone knows of another spot, let us know.  We should have something definite, though, by the middle of this week so we can contact the management.  Hopefully, it won't be reserved already)
When: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 @ 7:00 PM

Astoria Luv
Daisy (maybe, if she can make it to two events on the same night)
goldfish
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:45:59 PM by Astoria Luv »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life