relax

Author Topic: WOOHOO, Singles Board!  (Read 21609 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: WOOHOO, Singles Board!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
I'd be interested in a singles event...

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 05:21:51 PM »
single as well, and would also be up for some sort of event.

CountingZestfully

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
I'm single...although I don't know how I feel about speed dating.  :-)

Speed dating...already got a story about that. Not for me.

haziemal

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
So far we seem to be overwhelmingly female. Argh. Come on guys, you know you wanna!

I went speed dating once, too. One guy sent my friend and I form emails about how much he thought we had a connection, the only difference being the name of the person it was addressed to, and then we got angry, hate filled form emails a few days later when neither of us responded! It was a classic. Seed dating, well that just makes me blush  :-*

Maybe we should tell our ages (or just decades??) so we can get an idea of how we might group ourselves? Presumably the 50 y/o people aren't that interested in a meetup full of 20 y/o people, and vice versa. Although I guess you never know. I'm 26. I would also volunteer to help with organizing an event. How does that work around here?

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
So far we seem to be overwhelmingly female. Argh. Come on guys, you know you wanna!

Wow, this is rough, being one of the few guys among females :-D

25 y/o male here, I'd help organize and/or participate in an event. Can anyone recommend a venue? I will make some calls this week to see if what places would be good.
Off the bat, I'd say somewhere low key and not too expensive like crescent & wine or Waltz maybe? (Sorry, I don't venture off the Ditmars area as much as I should) I think most places would be happy to host an event like that for the publicity and income. I believe most places just require a minimum number of people to attend in order to close off an area.

Offline dakota

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
i'd be up for an event too. i've been doing match.com and all i have to say is it's hard out there. whew.
oh yeah, i'm 30/f
"new york's the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent"

Offline CW

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »
I'd be up for something. Since I'm 26/m, I can balance things out a bit too.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
I'm single, but not really looking right now.  I would be interested in going to a singles event, though, just to hang out and meet new folks in the neighborhood.

Since many of these start off with a lot of promise and enthusiasm and then fizzle and disappear, I was going to recommend holding this event during the week of April 20th.  While I'm not a fan of early weeknight events, it's really up to the majority. 

Regarding the location, I was going to recommend Indigo on 30th Avenue, close to the train station.  There was an Astorian mixer held there last month http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=9624.0
I thought that this would be a good location because it's right off of the N/W and from what I understand has an upstairs bar that we might be able to reserve.  If anyone else has recommendations, please share. 

Finally, I was wondering if we could invite other singles who are not in the group, but who would want to join us.  For example, if you have a friend or acquaintance who wants to come, let 'em!  The more singles, the more selection, I say.  And besides, it's not like we're going to put an ad in craigslist about the event. 

These are just ideas for right now.  Please respond with your own thoughts!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:36:32 AM by Astoria Luv »

Offline purplecurlygirl

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »
Single here, late-mid-twenties.  :-D

I'd like to see speed dating in Astoria, or some other singles mixer.

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »
Even if it winds up being mostly girls, we'd still have a good time and know that We Are Not Alone. :)

late 20s, here.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
Single here.  31.  Creative.  Lover of salsa.  Bookworm.  Hard to put in a neat little box, and like it that way.  Def interested in a mixer.  Sounds like fun!  In a city where single women outnumber single men 10 to 1, I find it very hard to meet people.   I always find this map National Geographic did on singles in the US very interesting.  http://creativeclass.typepad.com/thecreativityexchange/2007/04/the_singles_map.html
The tristate area is full of single women, while the West Coast is teeming with single men!!    :-) :-(

Offline cschoregge

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
Yet another single female here......I'm 32 and by Ditmars.

Offline bnittoli

• Tourist
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
Single male here, 39.  Just moved to the Ditmars area and don't know many people in Astoria, especially in this part of town.

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
Single, male, 43.  I'm not interested in dating or hooking up, but I'd like to make some more single friends.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
Single, male, 43.  I'm not interested in dating or hooking up, but I'd like to make some more single friends.

This! Although not the male and 43 part.  :-D

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life