relax

Author Topic: Tangs, Angels, Perculas, Triggers, Polyps and Marine tank talk  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Grimacebingers

• Tourist
  • Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Marine Tank Lovers of Astoria[/glow]

In my list of loves of my life I must include both Astoria and my marine tank.  I have worked for high end custom built marine tanks (shark tanks, lion fish tanks... (200+ gal)) on Madison Ave. and loved every day. I have my own tank at home in Astoria, although not as large as the Madison Ave. Shop... but I love it anyways.  I have also had the honor of working with David Blaine on his Lincoln Center feat in which he lived for a week inside a customized sphere shaped tank. One of my closest friends is one of NYC top marine tank installers and maintainers.

Since I am no billionaire (or millionaire for that fact) I thought I would reach out to my fellow Astorians to find like minded persons who also have a love of marine tanks.  I would like to be able to connect with other marine tank owners, get tips, learn about places to get supplies and go from there.  I hope that this community board also has marine lovers, like me.

I started my marine tank experience with my former boyfriend over 8 yrs ago.  While he may be gone (not really gone, just dating a guy who is not me) my love of marine tanks, reef tanks is still with me.

I've never started a forum topic before, but hopefully some one will chime in and we go from there.  I would love to hear about the tanks my fellow Astorians have.  If enough members chime in and have tanks, I would love to create a web page or on line group where we can post photos of our tanks and species we care for.

Lets go Astoria!

Cheers,

Grimace Bingers

Offline RayG

• Mayor
Re: Tangs, Angels, Perculas, Triggers, Polyps and Marine tank talk
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
Not a Tanker, but I thought I'd let you know that there is a new Fish Supply Shop open on Ditmars between 41st & 42nd (or was it Steinway and 41st?). Looks like it's strictly Fish stuff- no doggie toys or stuff like that, that I can see. So there might be someone who is more knowledgeable than the "Experts" at Petland or Petco.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
There's also another really good fish store on Steinway between 28th and 25th ave (I believe 25th is the one north of 28th). The dudes there know their stuff and they are constantly doing water changes. The tanks look phenomenal.
John's gotten to be a regular there. To the point that when we went in there the other day, the staff was bumpin fists with him. In all fairness I don't think they get many dudes with an Irish accent in there.
I forget the name of the place off the top of my head.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »
I forget the name of the place off the top of my head.

It's something like "The Wonderful World of Fish and Things", isn't it?

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
wonderful world of fish <-- that's the aquarium store on steinway street
25-71 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103
718-278-0708
www.wonderfulworldoffish.com

i can also attest to the fact that this store is absolutely lovely! it is very well kept, beautiful displays of the fish, and lots of stupplies. and the best part of the store is the staff! they are VERY helpful, friendly, and knowlegable about all kinds of tanks. i am actually thinking of getting my first freshwater tank with their help.
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline murph

• Activist
    • Kevin Murphy - IT Consultant
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »
awesome store. went there yesterday for some filters and new freshwater fish. really nice, clean, well kept. awesome tanks, especially on the saltwater side.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
The guy who's always there and usually at the register is the owner and he's a really nice solid dude.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 09:34:41 AM »
Not a Tanker, but I thought I'd let you know that there is a new Fish Supply Shop open on Ditmars between 41st & 42nd (or was it Steinway and 41st?). Looks like it's strictly Fish stuff- no doggie toys or stuff like that, that I can see. So there might be someone who is more knowledgeable than the "Experts" at Petland or Petco.

This place is Berkel Marine. this store seemed to be open for like 2 mos, and has been shuttered ever since. all the supplies are still in there tho.. what happened?

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
Looks like it's back open. at least someone is in there and the door is open.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »
ok, good to know, i pass by it every day... maybe i just passed by after they closed....

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:57 AM »
I think there's a fish store on Astoria Blvd or Hoyt and 27th ish Street?  Or it could be a bird store?  And I think there's a fish store on Broadway and 45th as well?

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:21:17 AM »
I think there's a fish store on Astoria Blvd or Hoyt and 27th ish Street?  Or it could be a bird store?  And I think there's a fish store on Broadway and 45th as well?

Yeah, the one right across from that banquet Hall on Astoria Blvd. They have a decent but small selection of marine livestock.
I am sad I can't have my tank any more, it's just too much money and time. I had a nice 110 Wide Reef just loaded with really awesome coral and some gobies, shrimp and a pair of mated seahorses. I miss it :cry:

Offline KurtLove

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
Berkel is still there, was there yesterday. Didn't see the one on Astoria blvd tho.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
Berkel is still there, was there yesterday. Didn't see the one on Astoria blvd tho.

Yeah, Berkel always seems to be hit or miss. I walk by every day at around the same time, and sometimes it's open and sometimes not. But it's ALWAYS before the sign says that they close.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life