relax

Author Topic: New CSA, anyone?  (Read 7510 times)

Offline belle

• Council Member
Re: New CSA, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
There were some share members in Astoria CSA last year that split 4-6 ways so it is done. I'm not sure how they did it, but they figured out the payments and how to split themselves (maybe they were roommates, neighbors or close friends?). Whether they rotated pick ups, or someone split it on site and all the members trusted the first person to arrive and split, I'm not sure.

MTW- I think Gretchen was thinking of a new CSA around 30th ave and 31st street. There are a few churches right around Athens Park that could possibly host. Probably closer for you than 35th ave.

cynel

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
I also want (need) a 4 or 6 way split for Astoria CSA.  But when I emailed them, Gretchen told me no one else had expressed interest in one.  If anyone wants to do it, I, at least, am flexible on how it's worked out - pls email them at split (at) astoriacsa (dot) com!

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
I'm not sure what specific area of Astoria is right for a new CSA--that is definitely the call of the organizers. But I'm happy to help the group figure out the logistics on how one is started.

Offline bethdlindsay

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »
Well, I feel like an idiot. I started this discussion and then disappeared! But I'm back now.

I emailed Just Foods and never got a response from them. It seems like it is way too late to start a CSA for this year and too early for next year. So, I suggest that we put the idea on the backburner for now and revisit in August/September. I'm so glad to hear that others are interested!

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
For those who had expressed an interest in starting a CSA, here's a conference link that will be held in NY on March 29th which includes workshops, lectures, etc... Tickets are $10-20 depending on whether you're a student or general public.

http://www.justfood.org/CSA_mini/index.html

lrov73

I need a partner to split my Astoria CSA veg share for summer 2008
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
Hello there

I became a member and Im looking for someone to split my veggie share for this summer. Anyone interested?

LyndaK

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »
I love the idea of a new CSA on 30th Ave- nearer to Steinway if possible. In the now defunct discussion of a new farmer's market, I also thought setting one up on Newtown just off of Steinway would have been great. That area of Astoria, West of the N/W on 30th Ave and going all the way over to the beginnings of Woodside (past 48th Street on 30th) is completely underserved and just a bit too far away to make it over to the farmers market or either of the existing CSAs even if they had spaces to join. Setting up a CSA anywhere along 30th would be great as there is a bus that runs along it and folks could just hop on that. I think you'd find a lot of interest.
L

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
LyndaK, great suggestion for a new location. Hopefully, the people who are on the wait lists for the other two CSA's will chime in and we can get a consensus on a new location! I hope there's enough interest for next year.

Offline Pulled pork

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
Is this really a possibility this season?  I'd be very interested in helping out.

theartistobjective

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
Hi,

I just got back from a trip to Israel where the food is so fresh that I saw fish flipping around at a fish stand.  I was definately spoiled there.  I just noticed the Hells Gate CSA outside Freeze Peach and the food looks amazing.  It's too late to join now so I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a share still.

If so please email me at: melissawolf215@gmail.com

Thank you,
Melissa

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 10:51:55 PM »
Hi Beth,

A couple of friends of mine and I had the same experience (not being able to sign up for a CSA), so we have been in contact with Just Food and we are starting a new CSA in the broadway area (since Just Food had mentioned that are already two in the upper ditmars area).  I dont know if you'd still be interested, but we're in the process of getting a core group together (there are about four of us right now).  Would you be interested in being part of the core-group for a new CSA in the broadway/crescent area?  If you are, you should reply to the post on starting a new CSA posted a few days ago.  Let us know!

Offline TrueBlue

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
I think a new CSA--between Hellgate and Astoria CSA--would be amazing. I helped start Astoria CSA and am now involved in the Hellgate csa (we moved) but I would be happy to meet with anyone who was interested  in starting a new one.  Definitely get in touch with Justfood.org, and Paula Lukats will be very helpful. It is too late for the 2008 season but  the perfect time, if not early to start up a csa for 2009. Please PM me and let's talk about starting a new one.

Jayme from Hellgate CSA was great about helping the Astoria CSA get start.

Just an FYI to those still monitoring this thread, but there is a new CSA in Astoria.  A group of us from various waiting lists got together and started Harvest Astoria CSA, which will be distributing on Wednesdays (~4pm-8pm) at The Church of the Redeemer on Crescent St. and 30th Avenue.  Our website is www.harvestastoria.com and more information can be found on another thread, http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=14073.0

As an additional FYI, we will be having another membership drive this evening from 6pm to 8pm at the Church of the Redeemer.  We will have an additional membership drive on Wednesday, March 11th from 6pm to 8pm, also at Redeemer.  Our "Meet the Farmer" meeting will be held on Sunday, March 15th from 11am to 2pm (again, at Redeemer).  Please stop by or check out our website.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life