relax

Author Topic: New CSA, anyone?  (Read 7512 times)

Offline bethdlindsay

• Citizen
New CSA, anyone?
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »
Hi there,

So, Hellgate CSA is full and the Astoria CSA is far away and pricey (no offense to them!). I'm not sure what it would take to accomplish this, but apparently there are at least 100 people on the Hellgate waiting list. Would anyone out there like to look at creating another CSA around Ditmars? For those of us who can't fit into either of the other options? Post or PM me if you're interested and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
Beth

pearlywhites

Re: New CSA, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »
Oh no, Hellsgate is full already? I went on their site today to register, and couldnt figure out why there was no area to do so. Ugh, that sucks! Would be very interested in another CSA around the Ditmars area. Add me to your list. Thanks! -Sophie

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
Oh no, Hellsgate is full already? I went on their site today to register, and couldnt figure out why there was no area to do so. Ugh, that sucks! Would be very interested in another CSA around the Ditmars area. Add me to your list. Thanks! -Sophie

Hellgate gives space to returning members first and then they've got a collasal wait list. I tried to get on last year too.

Offline MTW

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
If, at all, convenient to any of you, the Astoria CSA has quite a few shares available.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
If, at all, convenient to any of you, the Astoria CSA has quite a few shares available.

It's really pretty far from my house, which I could deal with, but it's also way too much for me and way too expensive.

Offline MTW

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
It's really pretty far from my house, which I could deal with, but it's also way too much for me and way too expensive.

I went to their Q & A last night and there were a bunch of people looking for share partners.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
I'd suggest contacting someone at Just Food if you want to start a new CSA, as they mentor CSAs in NYC and connect them with farmers. It's no easy task to run a CSA, but well worth it if you can get a good core group and good farmer(s).
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
I think it's too late to get a new CSA started for this season.  Your best bet, if Hellgate is already closed would be a share with Astorica CSA.  It is pretty far south, but you could always get on the train out to Ditmars.  The shares are more expensive than Hellgate, but also considerably larger. You can split a share 2 or even 3 ways to lighten the load.

I'm a core member of that CSA, and there had been some talk about there being enough people, between our waiting list and Hellgate's to start a new CSA in the area between the two.  I live in that in between zone and would be interested in not having to travel so far with my veggies, but I didn't really have the time to be the engine behind a new CSA.  Also, I'm very happy with the food and the people in Astoria CSA.  Nonetheless, I contacted Just Food, which is the group that helps CSAs get organized and pairs them up with farmers, but no one else from this area had contacted them so I let it drop. 

I would definitely be interested in talking to people who want to start a new CSA around the 30th Ave/ Broadway area closer to the N/W line, for next year. 
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline Mr. Oliver

• Activist
    • Mr. Oliver's Flickr Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

How can I get in touch with them?
---
My latest articles and reviews are at www.livemusicblog.com.
Check out my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliversarmy/

Offline MTW

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »
How can I get in touch with them?

www.astoriacsa.com

On their website, the below was listed:

Contact Us!

For questions or comments about volunteering, email volunteer@astoriacsa.com
For questions or comments about the newsletter, email newsletter@astoriacsa.com
For questions or comments about membership (payment info), email membership@astoriacsa.com
For questions or comments splitting shares, email split@astoriacsa.com
For all other questions and comments, email info@astoriacsa.com

Our voicemail is 718-512-5401, someone will respond to your call in a few days.
Our address is: Astoria CSA/ PO Box 6336/ Long Island City, NY 11106 (once the season begins this is rarely checked)
To reach us in-person, stop by one of our distributions. We are at ARROW Community Center every Thursday, late-May to late-November, 5-7:30 PM, 35th Street (between 35th & 36th Avenues).

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
You could also just make a good effort to go to the various farmers markets around the city as often as possible. I just bought apples at the one in Union Square this afternoon, and feel just as good about purchasing straight from the farmers there as I do participating in a CSA.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »
I would like to point out that Astoria CSA is "so expensive" because the shares are actually about 2x larger than Hellgate CSA's (which is why it's about 2x more money). So you are getting more food for the money you spend. It actually breaks down to $19 per week which is a great bargain for fresh organic veggies (comparable to the same conventional priced veggies and much less than any local organic store, Whole Foods and even greenmarkets).

If the shares are too large or expensive Astoria CSA recommends splitting a share. The Q&A was the best place to look, but you can also contact split@astoriacsa.com.

Also, there were a lot of members from the Ditmars area that were Astoria CSA members last year. I never heard of complaints about taking veggies 1-2 stops on the train or walking/ granny carting (it beats lugging them from the City).

Also, just a suggestion, but instead of another CSA in the Ditmars area maybe reach out to a location in between Hellgate and Astoria CSA. There are plenty of members from both CSAs that would fill this demographic and would alleviate the stress of the other 2 CSAs, freeing up space for residents that live around the CSAs. I know a member of Astoria CSA wanted to break away and start another CSA around 30th ave, west of 31st. I think another great location would be east of Steinway. As someone said, it is too late this year to start a CSA (you have start planning November-January), but Just Food (www.justfood.org) is the best place to start. Paula is the woman that works with CSAs there and she can connect any people that contact her about starting a CSA in the area to each other.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:56:18 AM »
I know that I can split a share, but it seems like it would be difficult to split one four ways. Even half of those big shares would be a waste for me. Has anyone done this before? It seems like it would be hard to coordinate with four people for pick up and payment.

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
I think a new CSA--between Hellgate and Astoria CSA--would be amazing. I helped start Astoria CSA and am now involved in the Hellgate csa (we moved) but I would be happy to meet with anyone who was interested  in starting a new one.  Definitely get in touch with Justfood.org, and Paula Lukats will be very helpful. It is too late for the 2008 season but  the perfect time, if not early to start up a csa for 2009. Please PM me and let's talk about starting a new one.

Jayme from Hellgate CSA was great about helping the Astoria CSA get start.

Offline MTW

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
In what general area between Hellsgate & Astoria CSA were you looking to have this set up?  I am splitting a share for 2008 Astoria CSA.  However, I would be interested in something closer for 2009 (Astoria CSA is at 35th street between 35th and 36 aves and I am located at 44th street between 30th and 31st ave).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life