relax

Author Topic: If you could change the world  (Read 5539 times)

Stinger

If you could change the world
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 06:22:30 PM »
i'm curious, stinger, what exactly do you think it would take to change the world?

To avoid an endless debate of semantics lets say that what ever you do to change the world it has to impact people in a multitude of countries. Otherwise I would make a differentiation between "changing the world" and "having an affect on the world". So to me "changing the world" would be doing something that permanently changes the direction of global thought, or global actions. For instance, commercial airplanes altered world travel and in many ways opened international travel up to common people. Hitler has altered the way we look at war. Prior to WWII people saw war as something unfortunate but it was a part of life. When Hitler came along we pulled out a specific aspect of war; target killings based on ethnic origin, and said this type of war will no longer be tolerated by the

international community. Why is equally important in this case because of the complex nature. I believe it is because at that time it had become painfully apparent that people no longer were living in the region where their ethnicity originated. Some collectively realized that in actuality this new development could propel us closer to world peace but not if people of different ethnicities could not co-exist peacefully.

You don’t have to be the originator the thing that changes the world if you can be the one who really instigates the change.

Where as "having an affect on the world" would be doing something that may seem small or trivial, but it still can have an impact. For instances an individual could support causes that help the social problems in developing world, or supports healthier and cleaner environments.

zeno

The little things
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 06:43:41 PM »
I'm going to change the world right now by attempting to forgive those that I believe have  injured me and hoping that the people who's feelings I have hurt in my lifetime do the same.

No person is perfect and life is too short to get caught up in the cycle of vindictivness and hate, where everyone thinks (I'm including myself here) they are the righteous ones and own the moral highground. That is how Wars are started and why they never seem to end.

I believe that positive change starts with a grain of love, understanding,
forgiveness and patience (qualities that I think we are all in need of improving upon), and actions (no matter how trivial) that spring from other motives, namely greed, power, lust, ego, ignorance or fear can have nothing but disastrous consequences. Are any one of us immune to these basic human faults?

We're always criticizing the concept of a punitive God who damns people to hell for their sins, but by not forgiving those that have caused us harm isn't this damning them to the hell of our eternal contempt, which can indeed become hell for anyone who wants to be loved and not despised, to feel pleasure, to avoid pain? What is the real difference?

Just as a pebble that is thrown into a pond gives birth to ripples that extend ever outward, every day, every minute of our lives from each little thought we think to ourselves to the grand gestures that we make towards society and the world; all have a cumalitive positive or negative effect as the emanating waves reverberate and bounce off the shore.

General courtesy is what I am lacking, and if living in a world where everyone not only respects but cherishes each other's existence is a world that I wish to see obtained, so what better place to start than right here, right now, with myself?

I'm feeling genuine about this, pouring out my soul in a public forum, not trying to get out of taking any "responsibilty" for my actions by sticking a band-aid on a festering wound but rather trying to give life nourishing rain to a solitary and vulnerable seed of healing.

People of the World, What say you?

I still care about you all,
----Zeno.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: If you could change the world
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 11:35:31 PM »
Quote from: enigmacat
I mean something that you *could* potentially do, if you had just a little more time or some funding or a chance to go back to school for the education you would need to make it happen.

Going back to your original question, enigmacat, I would go back to school to study marine biology, specifically horseshoe crabs.  It would entail working on the oxygen depletion/hypoxia problem, too, which plagues the Long Island Sound at times, among other estuaries (see my sig. below), not to mention its effect on the oceans.  I think it could change the world, as the health of the oceans and other bodies of water have a direct impact on the health of the planet, and our survival.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 09:25:28 AM »
Zeno. I think what you've written is profound. Very well stated, and something I personally idenfity with and desire to work on within myself.

As to changing the world -> I'd like to come up with a way to change our economic system. Perhaps get rid of all money all together (but not necessarily.) Ultimately with the goal of creating a system that rewards people for "hard work" but also distributes wealth and natural resources more fairly. There is absolutely no reason, no excuse for the amount of extreme poverty on this globe, and I believe it's shameful that human beings haven't solved this problem yet.

I feel our current systems are holding humanity back and would like to develop alternative ways that goods/services could be traded without the inherant baggage that comes along with capitalism (or any of the world's other systems for that matter.)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 09:44:12 AM »
As a related aside, I find zeno's use and intent of "cherish" and Stinger's (unintentional) use of "affect" in place of "effect" interesting and oddly compatible.  The idea of "having an affect on the world" is an intriguing concept for me - could one put such an idea into use?  This is not a criticism or nitpicking of grammar, just an observation.  Thanks to you both for giving me something to think about.

daveed

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 03:49:10 PM »
She certainly had an "affect" on the world

RIP Rosa Parks

Journey with ease, brave soul...

zeno

In Memorium
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »
Rest in Peace Rosa. You are off to a place where there is no distinction.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life