relax

Author Topic: If you could change the world  (Read 5408 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
If you could change the world
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:35:49 PM »
in just one way, what would you chose?  Would you make it your mission to feed every hungry child in America?  To find a cure for AIDS?  To reduce emissions by 10%?  

Would you make the arts more accessible to the general public?  Write a novel that would change the way the world thinks about x, y or z?  Create a commune in arizona for former soap stars?  

I mean something that you *could* potentially do, if you had just a little more time or some funding or a chance to go back to school for the education you would need to make it happen.

daveed

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
Set up a school along the lines of The Cooper Union that provided free education to qualified students. The overarching mission of the school would be to help students become "renaissance-people", better citizens and community leaders. Philosophy would be classical liberal/libertarian.

Curricular emphasis on the classics, writing and public speaking, sciences, athletics and the arts.

iLoveCheese

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:29:22 PM »
you *can* change the world. All the little efforts we all put in, add up.

Thinking big is good, but it can be overwhelming. I like to focus on the tangible and possible. Voting, letter-writing, contributing. Those are things we should all be doing.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
Quote from: daveed
Set up a school along the lines of The Cooper Union that provided free education to qualified students. The overarching mission of the school would be to help students become "renaissance-people", better citizens and community leaders. Philosophy would be classical liberal/libertarian.

Curricular emphasis on the classics, writing and public speaking, sciences, athletics and the arts.

Wow, that's something you've actually thought about, isn't it.

daveed

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 01:02:10 PM »
Quote from: enigmacat
Wow, that's something you've actually thought about, isn't it.

I guess so... The idea just sorta popped out of me, but I'm sure the notions behind it were percolating for years in the darkened corners of my brain.

God knows how managed to pull them all together. :lol:

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:16:02 PM »
Interesting.  I have a dozen little things I've thought about doing if things come together but nothing quite so well-planned out.  

for most of my adult life I've been doing the planet a favor just by taking care of myself, or at least it felt like it ... now I'm in a position (single, free, decent income) where eventually i might be able to do something - if nothing goes pear shaped for a few months.

daveed

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:06:37 PM »
for most of my adult life I've been doing the planet a favor just by taking care of myself, or at least it felt like it ...

That's how it all starts. Kind of like GIGO -- garbage-in, garbage-out, but in a more introspective way.

IOW, if I'm garbage in(side), mentally, physically or what have you, pretty much the world outside is garbage. Similarly, my own physical/mental/spritual pollution also pollutes the world.

The next time I get pissed off at the world  whether at someonw or something on the 7 Train or 7,000 miles away, I have to check in with myself first. Where am I at? What am I bringing to this encounter?

And sometimes, a 7 Train jackass is just that. :D

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 02:10:35 PM »
oh, I don't mean being pissed at the world.

I mean struggling to pay my bills and keep my head above water.

daveed

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 02:25:17 PM »
:oops:

Oh. Shows you were my mind is half the time. I really need to get out more. :lol:

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »
i think it's a pretty common hazard of communication.

for instance, if i mention "sweet potato casserole" and you've only ever had really bad undercooked sweet potato casserole, you won't even stop to think that i might be talking about a cooked-until-perfectly tender dish with melty marshmallows.  

the whole conversation might get sidetracked to a rant about your mom's really bad cooking.

whereas my initial question about whether to use yams or genuine sweet potatoes would be forgotten.

not that things like this ever happen to me!

of course i am not refering to you, daveed, when I say "you."  It seems to be a general thing.

Stinger

can anything really change?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
Does anyone really think they can change the world? In some ways only technology has changed the world. The rest has been a lot of hot air...talk about the green house effect.

daveed

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »
Well, technology didn't invent itself...

Stinger

technology
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 03:19:13 PM »
True, but do we control what it changes? I think that we like to think so, but in reality it alters our life style in ways we dont always predict. more because we dont trully understand our nature and how to change it. which might do more to help out the worlds problems than anything else.

Stinger,

PS I believe that we are about to inter into a phase in history where technology does start to invent itself. machines are building machines. and software does build software. while we can argue that building and inventing are two very diffrent things, that line is going to become more grey with time. a lot like life and death. We can pitch an argument about the line between life and death when we keep the subject narrowed to humans, but expand the question to where it can apply to what constitutes life in a scientific term and you have a very diffrent argument.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »
i guess it depends on how strictly you define "changing the world".  

i think guttenburg changed the world.  as did bach, black death, shakespeare, buddha, jesus, margaret sanger, and that guy who came up with penicillin who i am too lazy to google right now.  

i'm curious, stinger, what exactly do you think it would take to change the world?

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
micro or macro?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 03:58:47 PM »
i guess it depends on how strictly you define "changing the world".

Every decision each of us makes can potentially change the world.  This is on the micro level, of course.  Each decision we make changes us and we therefore change the world.  It doesn't have to be a magnanimous change.  The small, personal changes make a difference.  At least that is how I see it.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life