relax

Author Topic: New documentary features Bush speech writer  (Read 3018 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
New documentary features Bush speech writer
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:29:15 PM »
My father sent me this link to a very interesting and thought provoking short documentary featuring president Bush's speech writer.

I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts on this. I personally think it really challenges the way I view the president. It's only a couple minutes, and well worth the watch.

iLoveCheese

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:44:05 AM »
it just renforces my view that he's a puppet actually. Are you sure it's real?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 11:20:49 AM »
it's so bogus.  his title is "presidential speechalist"??  His name is Harlan McQueen?  

but it was interesting because even though it's bogus there's some truth in it.  Americans don't seem to like smart, well-spoken leaders.  Like girls who always go for the bad guy, the heart of the American voter yearns for a cowboy or a hell's angel to take us into the smoggy sunset.

Or so it seems sometimes.

daveed

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 12:18:11 PM »
The Bushisms are certainly real. It looks like the "speechwriter" is comedian Andy Dick.

I think Bush is either learning disabled or dyslexic, or maybe even slightly retarded. The man has a staff of speechwriters. He has teleprompters. He's coached on everything he's supposed to say. But we get this mess uttering from his brain time and again. The spin from the White House is that Bush likes to "improvise" and speak "off the cuff" in some sort of folksy way.

Baloney.

Obviously the man's not an intellectual powerhouse. But I really do think there's something wrong with him upstairs. His circuit board doesn't light up like most folks'.

For instance, he's prone not only to malapropisms, but inappropriateness that borders on the bizarre. Definitely creepy. Case in point: his first press conference during the Katrina nightmare, Bush makes some offhand comment about NOLA party life. It went something like, "I know the city I used to enjoy visiting in my youth..." looks over his shoulder, smirks and continues, "maybe a little too much..."

Oy vey. I believe there's a psychological term for that kind of behavior. Not sociopath, but something like it, when a person is compelled to make inappropriate jokes and/or comments, that usually put to focus on one's self at the expense of others.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
I don't know if you noticed or not but "Harlan" is an actor - I can't remember his name right off hand, but I have seen him on TV shows, and I am sure movies as well...

Even if it isn't real they do use actual footage from Bush's speeches, and that's enough to reinforce the scariness of him being president!  :shock:

At any rate I found the "documentary" to be very hilarious.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:21:46 PM »
Yes - Andy Dick. Thank you! :) That was going to bug me for way too long.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 12:39:58 PM »
it *is* really funny.  i think half the time i watched it i was thinking it was real, so i will have to go back in a more sardonic frame of mind and watch it again.

daveed

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 12:52:29 PM »
I found it kind of frightening, actually, thinking, "My God, Boomhauer is in the Oval Office!"

:lol:

zeno

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
Hey, I like putting food on my family!

daveed

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 01:32:37 PM »
The Energizer Bunny of Mangled Speech.

He keeps going... and going... and going...

Almost makes me miss Dan Quayle.

Almost.

iLoveCheese

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:39:37 AM »
He such a dumbass that I actually enjoy it sometimes, when I can. My collegue said he's going to miss Bush, "'cause he's such an easy target".

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life