relax

Author Topic: Where are the dart players??  (Read 6087 times)

Handyman

Where are the dart players??
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
I was thinking of trying to organize a dart outing sometime in the future.   Are there enough people interested in playing a few matches or maybe an elimination thingy for me to make the effort?

The only bar I know that has room and where we can hijack the board(s) on any particular evening is Lavelle's on Broadway and 46th.   An old man's bar, I know, but they had 2 boards set up the last time I was there so that alone gives it my vote.   Pat could use the business I'm sure.   (I built one of the backboards, so it gives me a chance to show off my carpentry skills to anyone interested....or not.  Haha)  *pats self on back*

A decent response, and we'll make it happen.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
Re: Where are the dart players??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »
Do they have real boards or those "baby boards" with the holes holes that only accept those plastic tipped darts? If it's the former then I'm game, although I must say that I haven't played in ages, even though i have two sets of darts (20 grams & 24grams) My flights are not what they used to be, plus I have no idea where in this great city of ours I can buy any!

Hit me up...
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Handyman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »
Oh no... we're talking real bristle boards, regulation distances and plenty of room.

I usually order my flights online, but the sports authority has basic ones.  I think I have brand-new budweiser flights that I'll probably never use (sorry jayme) that you can have.

Hope it turns out to be more than just the two of us.   Newcomers welcome.  :-)

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
I'd be interested.  I have fantasies about getting really good and then hustling men at darts for tons of money.  Bwa hahah...

I'm not very good but not completely horrible either.  Also, I've never set foot inside Lavelle's and I'm curious as hell.  When were you thinking of such an outing?

Handyman

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:20:32 AM »
well, to be honest, I was waiting to see about the response before I got all excited about a time-frame.   I was thinking mid-late March.   Once we got a good following here, or at least 2 or 3 more, I'd head over there and see if there was a league night, etc.    If a league night seems best for everyone, we could wait for an away night for the bar.  (it usually alternates)

Still waiting for more ppl befoer I get excited over it.  (that sounded less discouragaing inside my head)  :-P

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
I'd be interested.  I have fantasies about getting really good and then hustling men at darts for tons of money.  Bwa hahah...

I'm not very good but not completely horrible either.  Also, I've never set foot inside Lavelle's and I'm curious as hell.  When were you thinking of such an outing?

Okay. Handyman, you teach me and MagicPie to play awesome darts and we will give you a cut of our winnings.

Offline roy

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »
I'm not half bad at darts after some Johnny Walker.

Can't play sober at all, though.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »
I'm not half bad at darts after some Johnny Walker.

Can't play sober at all, though.

Jameson.

Offline roy

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:59:24 AM »
Jameson.

I'm sure it would work just as well.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
If you need the supplies, check out any of the local dart bars on a league night. A lot of bars will have some of that stuff in stock- flights, shafts, etc... Or they have a number of the local League supplier and he will show up at various bars to sell his stuff.

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »
Break on 32nd and Broadway has one of those electronic dart boards which make it easier for beginners like me to keep track of scoring. It still helps to have someone explain the rules, though.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
Break on 32nd and Broadway has one of those electronic dart boards which make it easier for beginners like me to keep track of scoring. It still helps to have someone explain the rules, though.

Scoring is fairly easy, all it takes is simple math. Plus this website will tell you all you need to know about the game: http://www.cyberdarts.com/basics/dartsbasics.html   

Roy & paratactical- I know it sounds silly, but I have seen firsthand what can happen when you mix alcohol & darts-- not at all unlike alcohol & driving...except with darts you don't have a 3000lb. blob of metal involved!

Handyman

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
Roy & paratactical- I know it sounds silly, but I have seen firsthand what can happen when you mix alcohol & darts-- not at all unlike alcohol & driving...except with darts you don't have a 3000lb. blob of metal involved!

Actually, I need a 2-4 beer buzz before I shoot my best darts.   :angel:

Okay. Handyman, you teach me and MagicPie to play awesome darts and we will give you a cut of our winnings.

Nothing wrong with using skill to make a little money.  Once you bring your own darts tho, it kinda tips people off that you're likely decent.   The trick is to find a bar that has house darts that you can either get used to, or closely resemble your own.    I lost 3 games at McCann's (for shits and giggles, not cash) last week because I couldn't get the dull, lightweight house darts to stick in the bull.     

Glad to see there's some interest....  a few more people and I'll start working on a day and time.  :-)

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
I've actually done pretty well* with the darts at McCaan's.

* = managed to get the bull's before my opponent and not completely fark my cricket score.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 06:21:22 PM »

Actually, I need a 2-4 beer buzz before I shoot my best darts.   :angel:

Nothing wrong with using skill to make a little money.  Once you bring your own darts tho, it kinda tips people off that you're likely decent.   The trick is to find a bar that has house darts that you can either get used to, or closely resemble your own.    I lost 3 games at McCann's (for shits and giggles, not cash) last week because I couldn't get the dull, lightweight house darts to stick in the bull.     

Glad to see there's some interest....  a few more people and I'll start working on a day and time.  :-)

I agree with the "using bar darts" to make a little money, plus sometimes you can get drinks from some people easier than outright cash.

Also, I haven't even thrown my darts in almost 10 years.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life