relax

Author Topic: The World Can't Wait  (Read 1679 times)

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
The World Can't Wait
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
A friend sent me the following.  He also sent two pdf attachments but since I don't know how to copy them as attachments, they're in separate postings right after this.

This is offered for information & discussion.  The FAQ posting gives more complete background.

"Ask yourself this question: What is it worth to you to get rid of this monstrous, heartless, theocratic, anti-scientific regime? How much is it worth to you to stop this rolling juggernaut which is stripping us of our basic rights, rapidly accelerating the destruction of our planet, waging a brutal, endless war of imperialism, rolling back women's reproductive rights to the back-alley abortion days, moving to install a Handmaid's Tale-style theocratic government based on the most narrow, hateful and barbaric form of Christianity and enforcing a culture of greed, bigotry (even genocide), intolerance and ignorance?

Are you willing to allow these to happen? What is it worth to you to put an end to all these horrors?

We can't wait until the next election - 2008 is going to be too late. They're moving rapidly to hammer shut the window of opportunity blown open by Hurricane Katrina... but right now we have a great opportunity. Look, if you still want to do other things go ahead. But you need to get involved with this now. These times are urgent and we can't wait. The world can't wait. Every day that goes by that we don't put out hearts and souls, our time, money and effort into stopping these monsters, there is a leash in our hands. That leash leads to a dog collar on the neck of a man who's been hooded, humiliated and tortured. Every day we sit on our hands and wait for someone else to do something is a day we're enabling torture, invasion, theft on the scale of entire nations, theocracy and yes, fascism.

I'm trying to raise money as a group. I've been asked by the World Can't Wait campaign if we can raise $5000. Let's take responsibility to do this. Get involved now. Donate your time, your money and forward this e-mail on to all your friends. No matter what your situation is there are things you can do. You can call other people, put together mailings, burn CD's. You can have fundraising houseparties where people can get together and talk things out and, instead of getting discouraged and demoralized, get inspired. If you can't go on the day itself you can monitor the media and send 2 people to go for you.

We can't be Good Germans. This time we have got to stop fascism in it's tracks. We can't passively wait for the pendulum to swing or someone else to do this for us. There is no one else - each and every one of you is desperately needed by the world because the world can't wait."

Note:  Please go to follow-up postings.
Truth is one, Paths are many

daveed

The World Can't Wait
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »
I read the FAQ and the flyer, but I don't understand what your friend needs to raise $5000 for...

e: I found it: http://www.worldcantwait.org/donate.html

The language the organization uses seems unecessarily hateful. And I was dismayed to find a link to Louis Farrakhan's "Millions More Movement". That man is a fraud and a racist. But whatever. It should come as no surprise to anyone that I'm not in agreement with this organization's methods or philosophy.

The real question is how to mobilize all people who feel disenfranchised by the corporatist state that rules the roost. Not just progressives or disaffected liberals. But even the person who mostly votes Republican. Is it even possible? I think not when TWCW cannot divorce its arguments from political rhetoric.

TWCW is preaching to the choir. Don't forget that a vast number of people voted for Bush twice. How is anyone going to convince even a 10th of that group to realize what a sociopath the man is?

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
The World Can't Wait
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »
Well, I don't know as I think the majority voted for him twice.  In fact, he didn't win the vote, even the electoral vote, the first time, if you remember and there was so much accusation of fraud the second time (which I tend to take as a given).

But I do agree with your statement, "The real question is how to mobilize all people who feel disenfranchised by the corporatist state that rules the roost."  I don't know if it can be done, mainly because as you imply, people would have to see that they had a common enemy rather than the other side.  It's to the advantage of the neo-cons, the corporate elite et al to keep this country divided and since they control (own) most of the media . . .

To tell you the truth, I haven't actually read the whole thing from "World Can't Wait."  I just copied it & posted it and plan to read it when I finish work tonight.  I agree that shrillness on either side is more likely to alienate than bring together but I think everybody's (I mean every political activist group -- on the right and the left) is getting increasingly desperate.

Thanks for weighing in, daveed.  More later,
Truth is one, Paths are many

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life