relax

Author Topic: Politics Topic to be Discontinued  (Read 19000 times)

Offline essen

• Governor
Re: Politics Topic to be Discontinued
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »
merm, now that my "Vallone Letter in Metro" thread has been moved way out of the way of anything having to do with Astoria, I would like to know why it was moved out of the Astoria-based category I posted it in. Moving "Politics" to the off-topic category is a fair solution, but I've expressed being unhappy about that thread being moved, and you haven't offered any kind of explanation. Now that the local chat includes "Issues" can it be moved back there?

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »
This thread is getting way off topic. I'll PM you.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
How's That Working Out? Re: Politics Topic to be Discontinued
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
For starters I've:

- Moved politics into its own section under random gabble
- Expanded random gabble to include "ranty" topics.
- Expanded "local chat" to now include "local issues". Local politics should also be discussed there when it comes up.
- Expanded Community groups to include "Activism". Community organizing should happen in that forum.

I've been loathe to post in politics during this transition, as I feel that my opinions are usually contrarian to those of the community's in general. But I have to say that two weeks into this move, I think the site has lost quite a bit. While I understand the goal of community oriented bulletin board, I really don't care who wins LPW. (The neg nod is the red one.....)
But here we are in the middle of the most interesting primary season, brink of recession, wars in the Middle East and South America, and nobody wants to talk about anything other than chicken wings. (again the red one)

So I implore you Merm, give political discussion the place it deserves in a vibrant democracy.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: How's That Working Out? Re: Politics Topic to be Discontinued
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »
I've been loathe to post in politics during this transition, as I feel that my opinions are usually contrarian to those of the community's in general. But I have to say that two weeks into this move, I think the site has lost quite a bit. While I understand the goal of community oriented bulletin board, I really don't care who wins LPW. (The neg nod is the red one.....)
But here we are in the middle of the most interesting primary season, brink of recession, wars in the Middle East and South America, and nobody wants to talk about anything other than chicken wings. (again the red one)

So I implore you Merm, give political discussion the place it deserves in a vibrant democracy.

Not sure I understand the problem.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: How's That Working Out? Re: Polyticks
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
and nobody wants to talk about anything other than chicken wings

It seems the chicken wings are working out just fine.
Mucho gusto.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline essen

• Governor
Re: How's That Working Out? Re: Politics Topic to be Discontinued
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2008, 12:27:26 AM »
While I understand the goal of community oriented bulletin board, I really don't care who wins LPW. (The neg nod is the red one.....)

I also don't care about the LPW thread, and I can't make it out on a Tuesday night for anything so the wings thread doesn't do much for me aside from illustrate just how many people here are raving drunks.  :-P That said, I think the solution for the Politics board at this point is a fine one. You can still see it from the main page, but it's also separated from the "Rants" section, which I like. The way it was before implied that politics and rants went hand in hand, but now politics is merely an off-topic category. I'm glad it has its own category in the off-topic section, and I think that's where it belongs. The people who are interested in discussing political issues, myself included, know where to find it.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
I also don't care about the LPW thread, and I can't make it out on a Tuesday night for anything so the wings thread doesn't do much for me aside from illustrate just how many people here are raving drunks.
Was this your idea of how to make friends and influence people? I consider these comments to be rude and thoughtless. Insulting other people's lifestyles or pleasures does nothing to enhance your opinions. Many people who like wings do not drink. Many people who like LPW like having a little harmless fun. 
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:58 AM »
Where's Billz? I miss him! :-(

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »
Was this your idea of how to make friends and influence people? I consider these comments to be rude and thoughtless. Insulting other people's lifestyles or pleasures does nothing to enhance your opinions. Many people who like wings do not drink. Many people who like LPW like having a little harmless fun. 

No. Reading the wings thread after the first wingtacular everyone was talking about how drunk they got, which I found kind of amusing. My point was that we can talk about politics even while others post in the LPW or Dillingers thread. No need to take offense; none was intended.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life