relax

Author Topic: baseball season  (Read 44338 times)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: baseball season
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
Very interesting, and surprising. Maybe a pick by Thanos will go all the way.
I hope the teams prove the best of the cream wins out.

World Champions either
TX Rangers or SF Giants

Fine either way. But I still would go with the A.L.
 :|

And the grass will be greener next year. Play Ball.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
Thanos had the Giants atop their division last year.
Congrats to SF.

Baseball, I miss you so. Looking for a thaw and the glaciers to retreat.

May Jeter celebrate his mansion, 3000 hits plus, and a strong return in the playoffs.
Rest well Andy. Thanks for the memories.

Offline King of Long Island City

• Council Member
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
Anyone know of any Red Sox friendly bars in Astoria? It's for a, uh, friend. Yeah.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Nope .  Redsox fans are forced to watch along with phillies fans , in NY bars .

Offline actorgersh

• Citizen
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
Anyone know of any Red Sox friendly bars in Astoria? It's for a, uh, friend. Yeah.

I know Pat O'Briens on 88th and 2nd in Manhattan is for all of the Boston area teams.  I don't think there are any bars in Astoria that cater to out of town teams.  For that matter, I know there are no bars anywhere in the city that cater to my team the Orioles.  I may have to do something about that, could be good this year.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »
There is a bar on lexington , i believe near the 20's ? called the hairy monk . All redsox fans . Nothing in Astoria though . 

Orioles fans dont even go to the games let alone get together to watch .  The few that go to games  wear paper bags over their heads.

• Council Member
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
Yeah, I've been to Hairy Monk, Pat O'Briens, Riviera, Professor Thoms, and a few others back when I lived in Manhattan...hoping that there was a place closer to home now, though. Maybe I'll have to start something, or at least find a friendly Mets bar where we can share in our hatred of the Yankees.

Offline actorgersh

• Citizen
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
Orioles fans dont even go to the games let alone get together to watch .  The few that go to games  wear paper bags over their heads.

I would post a rebuttal if what you said wasn't true.  I got a good feeling about them this year.  Maybe not the playoffs, but they'll finally break the streak of losing seasons and have breakout seasons from some of their younger guys.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2011, 01:01:29 AM »
If the o's were in another div maybe they would end around .500  , but the Al east by far is the best div year after year .  Really really tough for teams like the jays and o's

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »
Theres plenty of Mets bars around but  they usually get over taken by Yankee fans for obvious reasons .  Mets are gonna have a very very tough time getting fans again this yr and filling those seats . We all know they need the money . 

Difference with Yankee fans and Redsox fans  is  , Yanks fans arent obsessed with the redsox soooo badly they have be die hard haters and root against their every step .  Redsox fans on the other hand despise the Yankees so much , they even chant "Yankees suck" in their football parades . They sign players with clauses in their contract saying they can never be on the Yankees even if traded from the redsox down the road .  Paranoid maybe ??? Seems like they have a very big insecurity about themselves and their team .  I know waiting 90 yrs to finally win  especially after the Yanks ruled baseball for so long mustve been so tough .

• Council Member
« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »
Yes, you are completely right. Yankee fans do not root against the Sox and their every step at all. :) I'm always greeted with smiles and hugs when I go to Yankee Stadium in Red Sox gear.

I'm not insecure about myself of my favorite baseball team. It was tough not winning a WS (although I was not alive for all of those 86 years, not 90) for a while, perhaps that made it sweeter in '04 when the Sox had the greatest comeback in sports history. As a group, Sox fans are pretty passionate, we follow the team through thick and thin.

Looking forward to the season, should be a good one. IMO, Opening Day should be a national holiday. Greatest day of the year!

Offline actorgersh

• Citizen
« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
If the o's were in another div maybe they would end around .500  , but the Al east by far is the best div year after year .  Really really tough for teams like the jays and o's

That's the one thing that has been driving me crazy in the preseason predictions.  O's would be great, but not in that division.  Didn't the Rays come out of nowhere to be a powerhouse team and win the division twice the last three years?  The O's not only retooled in the offseason, but showed some real good promise when Buck Showalter took over in August.  I think the Rays are going to fall off with all their departed players, the Jays don't impress me for some reason, the Yanks are getting old and didn't really improve at all.  Red Sox likely win the division, hoping the O's land the wild card.  :)

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »
Good thinking , but i cant see the o's past 4th place . They just dont have the pitching or hitting to pass teams like the Yankees and Redsox , but with injuries and new players coming up  you never know .   Rays did lose alot and if somehow they squeeze a wildcard in that div , it would be a huge huge year for them .

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #298 on: April 04, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »

... as all expected, Baltimore is leading the East ...

thankfully there are 162 games in this marathon

good luck to los fans too

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »
Yankees ranked #1  on ESPN power rankings !

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life