relax

Author Topic: Astorians.com - a shadow of it's old self  (Read 617 times)

Offline hellgate19

• Campaigning for Council
Astorians.com - a shadow of it's old self
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
I have not logged on here for quite a while as I was sick and tired of seeing everyones posts get censored, including my own. What a shame the administrators of this site strangled the very life out of it. Just goes to show that too much political correctness can suck the life out of something that was once vibrant and exciting.

Offline therebels

• Citizen
Re: Astorians.com - a shadow of it's old self
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »
Ain't that the truth.

This site is a ghost town now with more spammers posting than actual members.

You reap what you sow...

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Yes, I'm surprised too that there's no discussion happening regarding the upcoming Amazon takeover of Long Island City. A couple of years ago there would have been an ongoing thread already several pages long. Now.....nothing. Or else no one cares which would be even sadder.

Offline nsutaria

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
Poeple care, but the ink is drying on the agreement with the state that circumvents, prevents and effectively squashes any of our concerns. There's a Reddit thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/astoria/comments/9wq5zj/amazon_hq_2_megathread/

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
I read occasionally but stopped contributing after large groups highjacked the site to push their political narratives after the election. Ruined what was a vibrant, interactive local interest site.

Offline sorabji

• Activist
    • http://www.sorabji.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »
I found astorians.com not long after it appeared, in 2005. I searched Google for "astorians" thinking it was a word that had not yet been coined. A Google AdWords ad for astorians.com was on the right side of the SERP. I clicked on that ad, thinking "this is gonna cost someone as much as 27ยข!"

astorians.com site was preceded by and used to compete with (if you will) MyAstoria.com. That site's owners packed their bags and moved to California (if I remember right) and MyAstoria.com has 301 redirected to here since I don't remember when. I am genuinely surprised astorians.com is still here, though the Jackson heights "sister site" seems to be alive and well.

fwiw, I've seen any number of references to "sister" sites and "sister" companies but I've never seen reference to a "brother" company or a "brother" website. Is astorians.com the "brother" website of jacksonheightslife.com? Ask yourself.  :grin:

I kept astorians.com on feedly and now inoreader even as its plague of spam postings would routinely and completely overwhelm those newsreaders with garbage.

I gave up on participating here mostly on account of the gleeful vitriol and gratuitous outrage that subsumed mundane issues like a post office closure or a bike lane that did not exist.

But I always kept astorians.com in my RSS backpocket.

Meh... things change. I can't believe this site still uses BBS software that might as well be Matt's WWWboard.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »

As for Amazon coming here, I'm not happy about.  Whether or not we get 25,000 new jobs or whatever other 'promises' they make, who is going to hold them to any promises?  No one.  People will forget, get tired of fighting, and move on.

I follow the news daily, so it was quite a surprise to me and others to suddenly see 'Amazon has CHOSEN Queens' (apparently we didn't get to 'choose' them).... and it was like 'where did this come from?....why didn't I hear talk of this before?'  Well, we know why.  They didn't want to rile up the masses.

I've heard it said that it's a done deal...'nothing we can do now'.  But think about it.  If they say that, and people then believe it...that indeed there's 'nothing they can do', then people won't bother fighting.  Which may be precisely what they want...for people to wrongly believe it's a done deal.  However, me and many others will continue to make our voices heard...that we don't want them here.  We can't know for sure if it's a done deal.... irreversible...unless we at least try.

Jobs for 25,000 lucky folks will pale in comparison to the DOWNsides of their coming here.  Rents in LIC, Astoria, Sunnyside will only skyrocket all the more.... more luxury towers will clutter the Qnsboro Plaza area.... the 7 train will be even more congested, etc. 

On a somewhat related note (i.e., gentrification), I saw that GNC on 31st Street by the N/W is Closed.  Jolson's Liquors, a neighborhood stalwart is Closed (ugh....I loved them...the only REAL liquor store in the area that always had whatever incongruous liqueur you needed...), though the Jolson's sign says they are 'relocating' to 23rd Ave.  But are they really?  Or is this just another instance of a place that says they'll be opening up again, and then they fade off into the sunset?

Where is the neighborhood activism?  Why is everyone just standing by and allowing small business after small business to be pushed out?

Offline hellgategal

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »
I spoke to one of the gentlemen who worked at Jolson's and he did mention that they found a new location. I hope that is true. I like the new Adega place on Ditmars for the time being. Very friendly, reasonable prices and they carry Galician dry cider!!!

I think the activism is over as gentrification won the day and it was inevitable. I am actually thinking about buying a place on the river to get ahead of the real estate rush. If you can't beat em....

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »

Yeah, the Adega place simply can't compare to Jolson's.  I went there once - since it's closest to my apartment - looking for port wine (they didn't know what port was?) and Drambuie (and they didn't know what that was either).  So then I continued on to Jolson's.  Not only did Jolson's have both, and knew exactly what they were but... they also had Green Chartreuse (which I knew better to even TRY asking Adega if they had!)

As for gentrification 'winning', is that to say we should just sit back and let it continue, unfettered?  If we sit back, then it most certainly will continue, and increase.  But if we voice our dissent, then maybe, just maybe, we can slow it down somewhat.  We can't just throw our hands up in the air, for that is precisely what the developers want.

At this rate, property over by Hallets Point and Socrates is going to become another version of the LIC Waterfront... a 'curated' self-contained area with ZERO connection to the surrounding neighborhood.  It won't feel like a true NYC neighborhood as much as it will a gated community, without the gates.  It's not that different from Battery Park City, another nabe that I greatly dislike.  What all these areas have in common is that they are sterile, feel too curated, and have nothing in common with the true spirit of NYC, and where you are rubbing shoulders with all kinds of people who are very different from you, and in a variety of ways...ethnically, religiously, socially, economically, politically, etc.

I have my own ideas and back-up plans in place (other potential nabes to move to), should the changes in Astoria eventually become too 'nauseating' for me to stomach anymore. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life