relax

Author Topic: anyone happen to live around 20th Road and Steinway/41st Street?  (Read 348 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member

I was very disappointed to witness today, a massive stately tree chopped down to the ground.  I could clearly observe the tree from my 3rd floor balcony, and never say anything to suggest a tree that was decaying.  Many large birds would fly onto that tree on a daily basis.  It would turn a very pretty yellow in the Fall. 

And now the entire tree is Gone.  The life that tree gave us is gone.  No more home for the birds.  No more protection from the sun.  No providing us with much needed oxygen.  Now more beautiful yellow leaves in the fall.  Now, when I look out my window...instead of seeing a huge pretty tree...I see a big HOLE.  And beyond that?  Well now I have a perfect view of...the CON EDISON PLANT.  How lovely!

I'm curious if anyone knows why this tree may have been cut down??  Was there indeed a grave problem with the tree roots, or is it possible that the person who lives there simply decided the tree was an 'inconvenience'...maybe they don't like leaves?...maybe they want to dig up their entire yard and cover it with 'pretty cement'??  (I do know that for some reason, there are many NYers who don't like trees...the prefer to see cement everywhere...they think it's 'cleaner'...'neater' looking...  I've heard many a person express their dislike for 'leaves'.  Etc.  So this is why I'm suspicious as to their motives.)

The house is on 41st Street... a red house that is two houses in from 20th Road.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
Re: anyone happen to live around 20th Road and Steinway/41st Street?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »

Greetings yippee

:angry: that pisses me off, yippee.  While I am not exactly familiar with that area, chopping down a perfectly healthy tree makes no sense at all.  Not only does it remove carbon dioxide and provide habitat for animals (i.e., birds, squirrels..), we all should know it provides oxygen as well.

Trees are like the lungs of our Planet !!  I can go on but will not.   :smiley:

C'iao for now ~

Please be kind to our Planet earth and all its habitats and creatures

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
Healthy trees should not be cut down for convenience, and it is illegal to remove or prune a tree without a permit. https://www.nycgovparks.org/services/forestry/illegal-tree-work

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
Greetings yippee

:angry: that pisses me off, yippee.  While I am not exactly familiar with that area, chopping down a perfectly healthy tree makes no sense at all.  Not only does it remove carbon dioxide and provide habitat for animals (i.e., birds, squirrels..), we all should know it provides oxygen as well.

Trees are like the lungs of our Planet !!  I can go on but will not.   :smiley:

C'iao for now ~

Please be kind to our Planet earth and all its habitats and creatures

Was the tree lifting the sidewalk? That could be the reason it was cut down.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »

The tree that was cut down was in someone's back yard.

Also...just about a week later.... one Saturday when we had a pretty strong storm...a good sized limb of a tree fell off a tree on Steinway Street....in front of a private home...in the tree pit.  The day after the storm, I saw the branch on the sidewalk, and could see the area on the tree from where the limb broke off.  The rest of the tree appeared to be in good shape.

But I guess as 'punishment' to the tree, a few days later.... the entire tree, chopped down to the ground.  ;-(

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life