relax

Author Topic: Turning Shore Blvd into the LIC Pier  (Read 811 times)

Offline The Greek

• Citizen
  • Life-long Astorian
Turning Shore Blvd into the LIC Pier
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
I’m sure this will be met with some backlash but I’d like to name a case to renovate the ‘strip’ at Astoria Park aka Shore Blvd into something with a boardwalk like they did with LIC. Why should LIC get all the nice things?

I think that area would look so much nicer and better with a boardwalk to walk on and better vantage points for views. It will probably never happen but it should. The Strip at Astoria Park is nice as is but it is dated and doesn’t hold the same appeal it once did when considering all the other river/city view spots in Queens and the entire city now. I think this is prime for a built of refreshing after essentially 80 years of the same setup.

Thoughts?

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
Re: Turning Shore Blvd into the LIC Pier
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
They revamped Shore Blvd about 3 years ago. They changed it to one way only street and added bike lanes. There's less traffic now and it's safer. I don't feel it needs to be like the LIC boardwalk.

Offline KellyO

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »
The LIC riverfront is stunning but Astoria Park is different. Until recently the LIC waterfront was an urban wasteland where few people gathered. There was very little community there. Astoria Park has been a thriving community gathering place for over 100 years. The park represents an important part of the neighborhood history so any changes should reinforce the traditions and natural social evolution of the park. Making it look like LIC would be a mistake.

Adding the bike lanes and making Shore Blvd a one-way street was a great move in my opinion. It's much safer and there's less traffic. Even though I dislike the cars hogging all the space on the street I realize it is a community tradition for families to park their cars there, set up chairs, and picnic on the walkway. I'm fine with this as long as three rules are followed: 1. Pick up your litter (or get a fine), 2. Don't blast music (or get a fine) 3. Don't block the walkway. Unfortunately some people break all three of these rules constantly and it makes the park an unpleasant place to be.

Rather than building a boardwalk along the river beside the park, I think they could build a pathway with pier access from Hallet's Point (where the new condos are being built) along Ways Reef (in front of Shore Towers), ending at Astoria Blvd. Then, they can continue to maintain and beautify Shore Blvd rather than build a boardwalk.

My personal opinion is that Shore Blvd would be better-served if it were car-free and it would allow for more activities, trees, and art on the street. But I also respect the tradition of parking cars there and picnicking so I think there needs to be a middle ground.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
It's nice and relaxing to stand at the old railing to watch and hear the waves lapping against the rocks. Then there's the charm of "Glass Beach".

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »
I agree with all the responses to the original post.  Really, does everything have to be so perfect and curated?  What I love about Astoria Park and Shore Blvd. is that it feels very old-school.... like what Astoria used to be, and thankfully still is (in parts).  I'm a night owl, and about two months ago I walked all along the waterfront at Shore Blvd., and passed by a group of older Muslim women (up around 21st Ave.) just sitting out, talking with friends.  Then further down, there were random groups of young people.... some hotrodders....  another group playing music, and who even brought their own hookah(!! ;-) and who were chilling with friends by the water, etc. 

I think it's great, just the way it is.  Sure, maybe there could be some slight changes/improvements, but I certainly don't want it turned into a 'Disneyland' a la the LIC waterfront or Battery Park City.  I live in Queens because I love Queens.  I'm not looking to 'curate' Queens into something it's not, nor necessarily should be.

Offline hellgategal

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:11:38 PM »
The current set up is safer and more importantly, unique. I don;t wasnt Astoria Park to look like LIC. Not now and not ever. If any changes are to be made, I say create a ferry slip where the dog run is by Hoyt Blvd and Shore Towers. There is a rock platform that sticks out into the river. It would be the perfect place rather than having to schlep all the way to Hallets Cove. The fact that there is a parking lot right there makes it even more of an asset for ferry commuting and if it went to LGA, even better.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life