relax

Author Topic: New user question  (Read 2636 times)

Offline sbkastoria

• Tourist
New user question
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Hi, I am new to posting on the board and having a profile although I've lurked on it a long time. I see that my 'position' is 'tourist' but don't understand what that means. I've lived in Astoria for 9 years and in NYC for over 15 years so I can't help but blanch at the designation. Would someone mind explaining to me how it works? Thanks. sbkastoria

Offline astoriagirl

• Citizen
Re: New user question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
I'm not sure but I just joined about a week ago too and I am also a tourist.  I think the longer you are a member of the site the more your status goes up - you go to citizen, mayor, etc. . . whatever the blog's categories are.

Don't feel bad - I was insulted by the "tourist" designation as well.

Keep blogging - your stock will go up!

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
The various levels -- such as tourist, illegal alien, citizen, resident, senator, governor, president -- are post count indicators.  Keep posting, and you won't be a tourist for long.   :mrgreen:

Offline sbkastoria

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
Thanks. What's the difference between tourist and limited new user? I see both with zero posts in their profile? Also how does voting work and have there been many polls? :-)

Offline Mr. Oliver

• Activist
    • Mr. Oliver's Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
The various levels -- such as tourist, illegal alien, citizen, resident, senator, governor, president -- are post count indicators.  Keep posting, and you won't be a tourist for long.   :mrgreen:

Seems like illegal alien should be lower than a tourist, eh?  At least the tourist is here legally!  :)
---
My latest articles and reviews are at www.livemusicblog.com.
Check out my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliversarmy/

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
Seems like illegal alien should be lower than a tourist, eh?  At least the tourist is here legally!  :)

I don't know that the order I wrote them in is correct -- I just listed them as I remembered them, and put tourist first because that was the question.  :)

I think - but am not sure, and a mod can confirm - that a limited new user is someone who has fewer than three posts and cannot therefore send PM's.  I think you have to have three posts before you can send PM's.  I don't know why there would be some users listed as tourists rather than limited new user with zero posts, though.

I think any user can start a poll, and then I think anyone can vote in them for however long the poll is made active.  The person creating the poll has some options about how to set it up, allowing users to change their answers and multiple choices, etc.  Dunno about quantity, really, but there are more regular threads than polls.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
At least the tourist is here legally!
But probably not to stay.

Offline Cotto

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
I think the ranks are ultimately determined by post count. Tired of being a tourist? Get to postin'.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »
Indeed, ranks are based on posts. And the new user status is just there until you post one or two posts. It's a way to keep people from registering just to send a bunch of private messages. i.e. spammers :)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life