relax

Author Topic: Mojave Restaurant  (Read 57716 times)

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
Re: Mojave in Astoria - New Southwest restaurant off Ditmars - Reviews
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
FYI, i moved the tequila seminar at 5pm, if you want to come by it will probably start at 530. everybody is welcome to come and enjoy it. I have been to one of this seminars in the city and really liked it and learned a lot.

hope to see you soon.

PS, we will start to do happy hours very very soon, from 4 to 7pm, all house drinks,  sangria, margaritas, mojitos, and so on will be served for $5. will let you know when we start. also we were thinking to do happy hours from 10pm to midnight or 1am. let us know your thoughts please...

Astorians

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »
Mojave - any new vegan items yet? I'd go but there's so few options at this point for us non-dairy folk.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline bethdlindsay

• Citizen
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
Hey Mojave,

Again let me say how awesome it is that you not only read the comments but actually post as well. I am super psyched about the possibility of an after-work happy hour! And 4 to 7 is just right for me because I get back to the 'hood at about 6, so I have enough time for a drink or two, but not three or four, which is never a good idea for me on a weeknight. Yay! Can't wait.

Oh, and I personally wouldn't be into the 10-midnight happy hour most nights, but it would be a fun option from time to time. I'm sure other people who aren't as boring as me would enjoy it. ;)

Offline geo

• Campaigning for Council
  • The skies the limit.
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »
FYI, i moved the tequila seminar at 5pm, if you want to come by it will probably start at 530. everybody is welcome to come and enjoy it. I have been to one of this seminars in the city and really liked it and learned a lot.

hope to see you soon.

PS, we will start to do happy hours very very soon, from 4 to 7pm, all house drinks,  sangria, margaritas, mojitos, and so on will be served for $5. will let you know when we start. also we were thinking to do happy hours from 10pm to midnight or 1am. let us know your thoughts please...
Happy hour sounds great, happy hour at midnight (How about full moon ultra happy hour, of coarse on full moons) sounds even better their are alot of people in the community that work in this business (restaurant) and would appricate another reason to go to a new place.
By the way when are you planning on opening the Back outdoor space?

Offline moodle

• Activist
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2008, 01:43:15 PM »
MegC and I had dinner with a bunch of friendly Astorians there about a week ago. It was a great space to meet in- great ambiance, you could actualy hear conversation - but the food wasn't very inspired. I had a chicken quesadilla and meg had a chicken mole  thingee...
I was hoping for more of a "pop" or an "Ole!" but no such luck.  The service was a bit pokey as well.  To be fair, we were warned about the mildness of food.

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
Hallo everybody, thanks again for posting and writing....

From tomorrow we are going to have HAPPY HOURS..  I never worked in a place that implemented happy hours, so i hope it's not going to backfire on me. The happy hours will be weekdays from 4 to 7 pm and also from 10 till closing i am thinking about extending the nights to an everyday happy hours.. The prices are $5 for all house cocktails and $3 for draft beer, Sierra Nevada and dos xx are really good. and now we finally perfectioned the SANGRIA.  i am sure you will like it, it comes with fresh fruit left in the wine for 1-2 days.. and very very very little ice.....

Anyway, for who of you write in this site i would to offer you an afterdinner drink when you mention about astorians.com

thanks again

Offline litachiqita

• Resident
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Went here for dinner Saturday night........7 of us around 8pm.  Service has improved remarkably (it felt like we had 6 people waiting on our table!) since I last visited back in February.  Way to respond to customer feedback! I'd definately recommend this place to my friends now :)

Offline cyberia

• Activist
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
So the late night happy hour is monday thru friday? I think I know where I might be headed Friday night  :-)

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
We FINALLY had dinner at Mojave last night and really enjoyed it.

The space is very relaxing and comfortable. Our waiter was great about
explaining the dishes we were interested in and made spot-on recommendations
that we were pleased with.

I had the pepper-crusted salmon filet w/sauteed spinach with a spring roll appetizer.
My boyfriend had their corn-coated calamari with two sauces and a chicken enchilada
with a yummy mole sauce.

The red sangria is just right - not too sweet and a nice change my usual wine or margarita.

Service was fast - it was pretty empty at 5:00 on Sunday afternoon, but we had theatre tix
so we were glad.

Dessert menu was tempting, but we were too full. Next time.

I hope Mojave does well - I'm seeing too many local businesses closing down so hopefully
they'll be around for a long time.

Offline hayleyree

• Mayor
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »
Just wanted to offer my 2 cents...

My husband and I had dinner at Mojave the Saturday night before last. It was crowded but the host quickly brought us to a cozy table towards the back in between two empty tables which was lovely. I like the decor and the seperate bar section in the back. Im sure we will visit that in the future. The techno music was a little loud but since the restaurant was full of talking tables.. I understand.

Kevin was our waiter (i believe that someone else on here complimented him as well), and he was wonderful. We will definitely be back to see him. He was charming and ready to answer any questions we had (esp since this was our first visit). We never had to flag him down and even though he had many many tables to attend to, he always showed up to ask us if we wanted more drinks before they were empty. Also (and this is an intangible thing)...but my husband and I were clearly exhausted but still "on a rare date" and our conversations were never interrupted. I have worked in restaurants and I have to say, it is a real plus to have servers that can quickly read the customer and create a wonderful environment specific to the situation.

On to the food.....The chips and two types of salsa that we recieved beforehand were good but the quantities of the yummy salsa were way too small, even for 2 people. But I have to say, the serving dish for the salsas was cute so maybe the form won out over functionality there?

My husband had the Jumbo Gulf Shrimp w/tomato garlic sauce and arroz verde and I had the Blue Corn Chicken Enchiladas. Both were great, came out quickly and the portions were more than adequate. I thought it was interesting that we were asked about any special condiments we like BEFORE the food came out. That way, we never had to wait and ask. Why dont all restaurants do that?

My margaritas were particularly good. No sour mix to give me heartburn...only fresh lime juice the way it should be. And my husband loves tequila and they have several good ones on the menu to choose from.

So all in all, we will be back....it is pricier than other Astoria mex establishments, but I feel like it is justified. It was a relaxing meal out that exceeded our expectations. And we dont have the time to do that everynight...

I mean, I love cheap taco carts just like anyone else but you arent paying for environment/service/etc in that situation.

:mrgreen:

Astorians

« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline round2

• Council Member
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
Sounds like they're working on the drinks, food and service, and it's paying off!

I'm gonna plan a return now myself...

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
CINCO DE MAYO

Hallo to everybody, just want to say that MONDAY MAY 5th we are going to celebrate the Cinco de MAyo. We are going to have live music,  www.hernanromero.com/  from 6:30 til 10:30, and then the party will keep going on. To all of you tha will come for dinner we offer a margarita and a tequila tasting.. FREE with your dinner, just to say thank you for your support during the first 3 months of our business. Partida.com tequila and siembraazul.com will be aour sponsors.  we will be waiting and we will be having fun all togheter..

see you tomorrow..

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Mother's Day, we would like to extend a free infused Margarita to all the people the will dine with us. I don't know how many of you came the cinco de mayo, but it was a lot of fun. we had over 400 people that dinner and we clearly didn't expect such a huge response. we had to stop deliverying because of too many people waiting to be seated. Thanks for coming, next time i promise wi will be more organized so that everybody can be served and so that we don't have to turn away as many people as we did on monday. If you want to take a look at the pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/mojavenyc

we are also going to have a cinco de mayo every thursday with live music from 6:30 to 10:00. we will probably offer to all the diners a free frozen margarita, just to start the engines....  Let us know your ideas.

Also we are going to open up the garden in the back soon, we will fit probably 100 people....

waiting to hear from you..

thanks

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »
Tomorrow , May 16th Friday we are going to promote the beer  Modelo especial, which is going to be sold at $4 instead of the usual $5.50, plus two beautiful girls are going to be here to "convince" you to order modelo especial.. the event if from 7 to 9 pm, no reservation are required. We are going to give out glasses to take home if you order the beer, t-shirts and other things...  see you tomorrow if you come

Offline mojave

• Resident
    • www.mojaveny.com
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »
JUEVES LOCO
CRAZY THURSDAY

Hallo to everybody, first of all, thanks for your patronage, we like ASTORIA very much and we really like our customers. I wanted to say that EVERY THURSDAY NIGHTS we are going to celebrate the JUEVES LOCO, or CRAZY THURSDAY. We are going to have live music,  www.hernanromero.com/  from 7:00til 10:30, and then the party will keep going on. To all of you thaT will come we would like to extend a complimentary margarita with you meal..  just to start the engine and put you in a good mood.

we will be waiting and we will be having fun all togheter..

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life