relax

Author Topic: New Authentic MEX: La Luna De Juarez, 28th and STeinway  (Read 11006 times)

Offline geo

• Campaigning for Council
  • The skies the limit.
New Authentic MEX: La Luna De Juarez, 28th and STeinway
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »
Hello to all i have been out but am back with good news: I met Hugo Juarez and his wife Gloria Luna. They are Restaurantures who have agreed to pay a premium in rent so they can bring us their food and ambiance to a much needed corner. Next friday is the opening of this latin restaurant. I will confirm the opening date later and confirm to you all wheter or not to drop in on the 23rd right after our Giving thanks day.
Ciao a Tutti Belli.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: New Authentic MEX: La Luna De Juarez, 28th and STeinway
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »
geo, what do you mean by "authentic"?  Is this new place focusing on regional Mexican cooking?  And if so, from what region of Mexico? 

Offline geo

• The skies the limit.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:46:08 PM »
They are not doing any regions, they have a great chef who just loves to cook and supposedly the Guacamole will be done table side, the Fajitas nothing like your use to, and they will make their own mole, hopefully with this great Colombian Chocolate Cordillero, and well i guess when they open we will all know.

Offline dalty52

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:44 PM »
OMG, this is great news.  I was wondering what that place was going to be, and I have been wishing a good Mexican place would come over to our area.  The taco truck is awesome, but this will be great for the nights when we want to have a sit-down meal.  Killin.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks, geo!  This sounds really cool.  I'll look forward to checking it out!

They are not doing any regions, they have a great chef who just loves to cook and supposedly the Guacamole will be done table side, the Fajitas nothing like your use to, and they will make their own mole, hopefully with this great Colombian Chocolate Cordillero, and well i guess when they open we will all know.

Offline roy

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Looks like they're having a grand opening tonight. I saw a card today in a Village Voice paperbox, it says

Grand Opening
Nov 23 2007
Luna de Juarez
Restaurant Cafe

Invitation to our celebration
Enjoy our delicious Latin and international menu
Coffee gourmet and extensive line of liquors

25-98 Steinway Street
Astoria NY 11103
718-274-4350
lunadejuarez@msn.com

I think I may go at some point tonight, I've been wanting Mexican for a little while...

jumpattack

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
We went here for dinner tonight, and although there were a few glitches (which is to be expected), the food was really great. I can't wait to try the cochinita pibil!

Offline felisfemina

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
I'm so happy that good mexican food is finally so close by!  Anyone know what the price range is for entrees?  Drinks?  Can't wait to try it out  :lol:

Offline Pulled pork

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
We went Saturday evening.  Second night of business and staffed to the gills. They get lots of leeway here since they are so new.

Nice bar area with comfortable seats.  Nice table set up and good comfortable seating.  Tables not crowded together. :mrgreen:
Soft lighting & quiet background music.  Unheard of and quite welcome here in Astoria. :mrgreen:
Friends joined us later at a table for drinks and we could actually hear each other without leaning in and screaming to each other.
One of the owners stopped by to say hello and talk about the place.  Nice guy and our second round was on the house.
:mrgreen:
Excellent margarita for $6 served in a tall Pilsner glass.  Strong on booze yet smooth going down. :mrgreen:

Food was very fresh and clean.  All obviously made on premises.
Very light on seasonings but hey, they just opened and we will most definitely go back for another meal.

Prices were not cheap.  Apps were around $8 to $12 and Entrees/meals were around $14 to $26.  The apps we had could have been a bit more substantial for the price.  Also the menu seemed a bit scattered.  Looking forward to seeing how it gets refined over the coming months.

Over all two thumbs up for decor, service, atmosphere & drinks. We know the food will be perfected shortly because of all the good people working there to make your experience a memorable one.   Welcome to the neighborhood.

Offline roy

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »
Went Friday night with my roommate. We both ordered fajitas and they had to slide an extra table up for all the plates  :-D

The guacamole was supposed to be made tableside but wasn't, which was a little disappointing, and it came out with the food instead of as an appetizer. They comped a drink for us because of that, which was really nice. I feel like the food could be a touch more spicy, but that's normal for me. The steak fajitas were very, very good.

Offline deefunk78

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
This is so great to hear..as we just went to Las Margaritas last weekend, and were very dissapointed. Last year we went it was good....not sure what happened. so we need a new Mexican place!

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »
That corner has been empty for so long, that I'm really thrilled this has come in. (I was hoping for a bookstore, but that's another link, another dream....)
Anyhoo, I walked by the other day and its also very cozy looking. Can't wait to sit down and try this; sure it's got a few kinks as all new restaurants do, but at least it's not another cafe!!!! Yeah!!!!

Offline geo

• The skies the limit.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »
I have to make a correction   :-o the cuisine is not just MEXICAN it is a latin cuisine restaurant  :-D. The chef is Mexican but she has come up with other latin dishes. Gloria is Colombian and Hugo is Guatemalan so they are trying to cover the basic bases with the cuisine profile. :roll:.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
I have to make a correction   :-o the cuisine is not just MEXICAN it is a latin cuisine restaurant  :-D. The chef is Mexican but she has come up with other latin dishes. Gloria is Colombian and Hugo is Guatemalan so they are trying to cover the basic bases with the cuisine profile. :roll:.

I have to get over there soon!

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 06:53:01 PM »
See our friend flooz's review here:
http://astorianyc.blogspot.com/2007/11/keep-eye-on-luna.html

Yum! 

Astorians