relax

Author Topic: Our Meeting - sharing responsibilities  (Read 7036 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senator
Our Meeting - sharing responsibilities
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:36:02 PM »
Hello everyone - as you may know, our meeting is set for Wednesday, November 28th at 6:30 p.m. at the Quinn Building on 35th Street and Broadway.  I will find out the floor number.

We need to divide some responsibilities.

I will take care of inviting the Representatives, but you should call them to ask them to come.  If they receive a few calls, they will attend.  I will give you their numbers on a separate post.

I will also put out a Press Release.

I think Meg volunteered to post this on other forums.

I will try my best to come up with a series of questions which I will post for all of you to look at and comment on - they should encompass all issues and be general enough that they do not just focus on one area or one person's issue.

Can someone please volunteer to create a flier and post it somewhere where we can make copies and hand them out to neighbors?  You can say something to the effect of Astoria Renaissance Committee is sponsoring a meeting with our local representatives etc.

Who is a good public speaker that does not pontificate?  I will need another individual to read out the questions and moderate along with me.  We will need to get together ahead of time to discuss.

Anything else we would need to do?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Our Meeting - sharing responsibilities
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »
How about NYCMacUser as a co-moderator?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:04:05 AM »
How about NYCMacUser as a co-moderator?
Thank you for your vote of confidence, but I respectfully decline.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline heff

• Mayor
    • TAWQ
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
Why not McDirk or Merm or one of the other mods as the other moderator?  Also I'd be willing to be your meeting is on the 4th floor.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
Come on folks - this was read 75 times.  Can someone please put together a flier?  This is what I have done so far -

Confirmed the space
Sent out invitations to the Representatives - via e-mail, fax and mail, so that they cannot say they did not receive them.
Put together a Press Release and sent it to all the local media.

I will be in touch soon with more information and requests for assistance.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
How can a flyer be distributed without first know who the guest representatives will be? What is the incentive for people to be interested enough to attend?
Women are like teabags.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
I think Meg volunteered to post this on other forums.

I'll be happy to do this still.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
I am most likely coming on the later side, so I'm not a great choice, but thanks!!

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 08:54:49 AM »
This effort seems to be sputtering, although, from your postings in this blog, there seems to be enough stuff out there to justify it.

Would it make sense for the community to meet first and get their ducks in a row before calling in the officials?

Would it make sense to sit in on a few other groups that are meeting, UCCA, LICA, 114 Civ-Op, Dutch Kills, Astoria Civic, Greek-American Homeowners, Community Board, some of those Sunnyside court associations, to see what is important with them, how they are run, what their problems are, then come up with a structure and platform?

I think more of you should give Debbie support. Griping about something in your jammies is one thing, getting off your backside to at least attend and listen is a hell of at lot more important.

This is our community. If you love it, then show it by doing something. Talk is cheap.

A successful community is not given on a silver platter, but must be forged by its citizens.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
Gleason, I rarely agree with you, but in this case, you are right on target.  I get tired of reading all the complaints.  The one thing I have always done is stopped complaining and did something about the issue that annoyed me.  I felt that at least if I did something, I would at least have the right to complain.  To complain and do nothing = nothing.

Anyway, to the person who asked about the flier, most of these Representatives rarely RSVP.  They either show up, or send a Representative.  I have put fliers together before for this sort of meeting, but I am not sure how to post it somewhere where everyone has access to it.  Can someone suggest how I can do that?

Can I attach a Word Document to this site somewhere?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 03:49:58 PM »
Can I attach a Word Document to this site somewhere?

Hit "Reply to"
Beneath the text box, you'll notice "Additional Options". Click that.
Select "Chose File".

hit "post"

Offline stevenman5000

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »
I nominate Costa (Costa01) for co-moderator. He has the knowledge of the community and has lots of experience with public officials, and should have no problem helping figure out what questions may or may not be appropriate. His leadership qualities would be great in maintaining order during the meeting.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
Anyway, to the person who asked about the flier, most of these Representatives rarely RSVP.
That person has a name!

As the retired President of the Astoria Independent Democrats (AID) we always asked for and received commitments for any meeting to which any dignitary was invited. I cannot imagine the scene of 200–300 locals attending, expecting to speak with an elected or appointed official, and not having them show up. This would have been especially true during off year elections. All those with hats in the ring responded to our requests immediately, including those campaigning for Judgeships. We also moved from location to location (churches to meeting halls to restaurants) so that our meetings could be attended by the most widely representative groups of Astorians. You don't get too many opportunities to get it right. The elected officials in this neighborhood don't usually have any problems getting reelected. They are shoo-ins. They don't have to cater to the needs of special interest groups. Our Community politicians are part of a well-established, well-oiled machine. I am not suggesting giving them the questions beforehand, but I am certainly recommending letting them know the topics of interest for this meeting. I am also very much in favor of giving them the URL to this forum for them to see the diversity of it's members and their concerns.

Debbie, what you proposed was a very new approach to meeting with these people. The original suggestion that there not be a free-for-all was well-received by those of us who have been entrenched in local politics for decades.

As I understand it, this meeting is not for the personal aggrandizement of any group of individual, but for the betterment of the Community.
Women are like teabags.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:52:15 PM »
Debbie, what you proposed was a very new approach to meeting with these people. The original suggestion that there not be a free-for-all was well-received by those of us who have been entrenched in local politics for decades.

Should not this community be the centerpiece of this effort? Inviting the politicians in and asking them  questions is really the last step - the collective action of citizens should be the heart of what we are doing. We should define what our concerns are, discover what other people are doing with similar problems, then figure out a course of what we would like to see happen to solve these issues.

This is a waste of time if it is a one shot Q&A for the politicians to stand before the lights, and we all go home.

As I understand it, this meeting is not for the personal aggrandizement of any group of individual, but for the betterment of the Community.

Please, let us avoid using the word 'personal aggrandizement' and 'personal agenda.' Those words poison any gathering.

And Debbie (and mods, for that matter), how about everytime someone starts a rant on this blog about noise or dirt or whatever, giving them a link to your initiative?

Believe me, if you can get THAT far, don't worry about the politicians attending. They will show up 'en masse'.

Just one person's opinion. How do you others feel?

Offline costa01

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »
While I agree that we need to inform the electeds about the topics that will be discussed at the meeting, it concerns me that we are going to completely limit the input of the community by only asking agreed upon questions. To invite large numbers to this event and leave them outside the process seems counterproductive to the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish.  I was under the impression that this meeting's structure had originally called for a balance of moderation and free discussion.

For too long, I agree with NYCMacUser, our electeds have been able to hide in their comfort zones without having to worry about re-election. The key to changing our political culture is opening up the process to more astorians and having new dialogues with our neighbors.  Just reading this blog makes all of us realize that the problems on Ditmars are VERY similar to that of Broadway.  But unfortunately, Astoria in general is not the end all of progressive thought. Many are not involved not because they don't want to be, but because of the very malaise we are hoping to break through with this meeting.  None of us can truly speak for the entire community. We all have our own physical limitations that keep us from seeing the problems other parts of the community face despite a lot of commonality.  Allowing someone who may be new to our struggle and happens upon this meeting to ask a question may groom our next leader or open a door collectively that might not be there otherwise.  That should be a risk we are all willing to take. 

I agree with Gleason that this meeting needs to be bigger than all of us. The conversations that will emerge from this gathering will dwarf the "answers" we will receive from either the electeds or their reps. There are so many parts of our community that have been deliberately left to atrophy politically and socially to further the agenda of the status quo.  We have so many groups just on this blog who have not yet met with each other.  I think a few earlier speakers nailed it when they proclaimed that this should be our beginning point not the finished product, where should the politicans not show, I believe they should, they will NEED to in the very near future if we do this right.

Sorry for the long-windedness everyone, not usually my style. 

As for what I will do to help:
1) Call electeds to "remind" them about the meeting.
2) Invite others in our community that may not read Astorians.
3) Post fliers whenever they are ready.
4) Help in any other ways I can.  Debbie and others please do not be shy to ask for anything from me.

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life