relax

Poll

Astoria District 22 is having an election. How would you vote?

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 06, 2005, 08:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Informal Poll conducted by MinTru  (Read 5701 times)

Big Brother

Informal Poll conducted by MinTru
« on: September 29, 2005, 08:59:43 PM »
Astorians.net is a non-partisan endeavor that only wants what is best for the Community.

Your're vote (as well as input) counts!!!

B.B. & Zeno

Big Brother

Why I choose Kahn
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 09:16:23 PM »
I am voting for Kahn because he is Anti-USA PATRIOT ACT.

-B.B.

zeno

Why I choose Vallone
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:17:25 PM »
I am voting for Vallone because he is for USA PATRIOT Act.

-zero

semiastorian

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 09:36:47 PM »
I am not voting because I'm not a US Citizen. :-)

But for the record, I met Jerry Kahn once and he was really rude.

Then again, Vallone is going a little overboard with his anti-graffiti crusade...

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 09:38:22 PM »
As I have not yet gotten around to educating myself on this election, I abstain. Courteously.

zeno

Please, make your opinion known
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 09:40:34 PM »
This is an informal poll, and therfore
open to EVERYONE.

International opinions welcome.

Jerry is rude, but he is for non-US citzen immigrants (who have settlled in the community) voting rights (although personally I am against this), which IMHO is very progressive and what we need right now.

What happens here, tends to happen everywhere.-radio Holland reporting from New York

-zero

Telesphoros

Yes old friend.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 09:47:09 PM »
If you want me, you're going to have to come down here and get me.

KAHN!  KAHN!

Change is good. Debate is good.  I think either way the election will be fine.  Neither man seems bad.  Both seem like decent people.

Best regards,

T

flooz

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 09:50:51 PM »
the verdict is still out...

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 11:12:05 PM »
Zeno:  you say
he is for non-US citzen immigrants (who have settlled in the community) voting rights (although personally I am against this), which IMHO is very progressive and what we need right now.

I'm a bit confused:  you say the fact that he "is for non-US citizen immigrants voting rights" is "very progressive and what we need right now" but you are against non-US citizen immigrants having voting rights?

These two seems to be contradictory. Perhaps you could clarify your meaning.  Or is there a missing comma?

That said:  I am undecided.  I always vote, and I always educate myself on the issues and the candidates before I vote.  I do not necessarily vote for the same candidate just because I voted for them previously.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 11:16:33 PM »
MinTru.  That's so twentieth century.

zeno

My opinion
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 12:32:20 AM »
I disagree with many of his policies, and yet overall I would rather have him than the incumbent.

IOW: Vallone is pro-PATRIOT Act
Vallone is pro-Iraq War.
Vallone is pro-tax cuts for the rich.
Vallone is pro big business in Astoria regardless of what we non-persons feel is right for the ecology or welfare of the working class.

If you are  in the top 5?% then by all means Vote for Vallone, or for Bush for that matter; I really Don't care (but I do have a one-way ticket out of here :-))

These I am against and against any politician or congresswoman(man) that seeks to subvert the U.S. Consitution and equal rights.

zeno

Big Brother

A meesage from the Ministry of Peace
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »
Big Brother supports King George III (and his children).
Big Brother has always supported King George III (and his children).

From
WesBloc,
B.B.

zeno

Clarification.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 11:59:45 AM »
@ lanseaux

To tell you the truth I wasn't fully convinced on my position regarding non-US citizen voting rights. I do have dear family that falls into this category btw (not that that necessarily strengthens my argument). My first instinct tells me that this right could subvert American policies (more than it already is!) for the express benefit of foreign powers. It only makes sense to me that when I visit a foreign country that I should not be allowed to vote on issues that don't concern me and be respectful of different forms of government when I am a guest. If I cared so much about a country and wanted to make a home there, then I would become naturalized and swear fealty.

Now I am having second thoughts about this issue. There are a  number of points to consider that could be made for non-US citizen voting rights... so thanks to you lanseaux I am now undecided! Thanks alot! (for getting me to think :idea:  :-) )

I am for however all other rights as applied to non-US citizens or visitors to this country (except the right to run for President... well... only if he or she was French!, no one else.) IOW Human Rights, due process, etcetera, etcetera which [WARNING: Affective Writing Ahead] the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. would seek to obliterate.

iLoveCheese

tough call
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:58:30 PM »
tough call. Maybe Kahn. I'm not sure yet. The Council is not a Federal position and getting along with the other councilfolk is clutch here. If you're a jerk and every hates you, your district (us) is what suffers. You still get paid. Also, the council doesn't determine much of federal issues like the patriot act, but thier positions are still relevant. Even so, I really freaking hate the war and I also hate the current NYC development frenzy characterized by this past term.

If Kahn were a pastafarian, it would be a no-brainer. =)

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 01:20:08 PM »
I guess BB isn't all seeing, after all.

It's Jerry Kann, not Kahn.

Oh, btw, when I decide, I am likely to keep it private rather than vote in a poll.  I prefer to reserve my voting for the voting booth.  I'll be willing to talk about my personal decision in person, though.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life