relax

Poll

Does Astorians.com need a singles board?

Yes
43 (58.9%)
No
8 (11%)
Don't Care
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: October 15, 2007, 09:33:19 PM

Author Topic: Singles Board? Please Vote!  (Read 11501 times)

Offline Hrmph

• Council Member
Re: Singles Board? Please Vote!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
Single myself, i wouldnt mind seeing maybe a regular single mixers thing, but i think the whole ads thing may be abit too much. My vote was "don't care"....

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
i think everyone is getting a little off-topic.

I think it's hard to cast a vote for something like this without knowing what exactly is meant by "singles board", how it will be administered, and how certain concerns will be addressed by board management. I think merm's intent was to guage interest and open dialogue, and so far it looks like we've got lots of good dialogue :)

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
I don't see it ever becoming an ad board. Y'all know what I mean?

SWF seeking very wealthy, married, well-hung man for expensive afternoon delights!

I truly believe it will take on a life of its own once it gets off to a good start. We have a lot of singles in the area who seem to have an interest in meeting other singles in the area. This sub-board might just prove to be a benefit to both the forum, in terms of memberships, and to those specifically interested in singles activities.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

mc

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »
For the question enigmacat raised about what the singles board will end up being, it would be great to hear from people who voted "yes" about what they want from the board.  That way, I think it would be easier to gauge issues of internet privacy, etc.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »
I for one am not necessarily thinking that it would have to be like the "casual encounters" section of craigslist. But there are quite a few topics that center around being single; conversations about dating in Astoria, advice in general, and people wanting to talk about or plan singles related activities. It doesn't have to be a "dating service", just that there could be a specific area of the board that focuses on being single in Astoria. For people looking for an anonymous and private way to find an adult friend there's adultfriendfinder.com. This is a community site, and singles are themselves a large "group" in the community as sports fans, foodies, parents etc are.

The dialog is great, it's good to hear everyone expressing their ideas about this.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:06 PM »
bring on a singles board - just like the "out" and "parenting/families" board... I think the more you can cater to specific segments of your audience the more user friendly this board becomes.  When Astorians was small all the child boards weren't necessary - but as membership grows I think diversifying is helpful.

That said - I know of three couples who met on Astorians without the help of a singles board - one of those couples just tied the knot.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »
That said - I know of three couples who met on Astorians without the help of a singles board - one of those couples just tied the knot.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Wow, I had no idea.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »
Well, I'm glad we got this all cleared up.  :-)

KatieP311

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
It's quite obvious by the vote, that people feel this sub board would be asset. It also seems that those who voted for it are looking askance at this thread by the disproportionate votes to posters. I think we should just do it. It is going to take on a life of its own anyway!

Amen sister.  :mrgreen:  It will do just what all our other threads do, and that is flourish.  It'd become it's own little section thriving with conversation and it could be a lot of fun I think!... but maybe that's just my single female opinion.  :roll:

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
60+ SWJF seeking extremely wealthy, marriage minded, any age, never married man, with no children or siblings who has end-stage renal disease; no prenups or crackheads.
Women are like teabags.

Offline Jiggs

• Council Member
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
I don't see it ever becoming an ad board. Y'all know what I mean?

SWF seeking very wealthy, married, well-hung man for expensive afternoon delights!

I truly believe it will take on a life of its own once it gets off to a good start. We have a lot of singles in the area who seem to have an interest in meeting other singles in the area. This sub-board might just prove to be a benefit to both the forum, in terms of memberships, and to those specifically interested in singles activities.

I'm not wealthy; I'm not married; and I'm definatley not......uh,  forget it.  But anyway, why not a singles site?   Everyone is overthinking it.   

Handyman

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
60+ SWJF seeking extremely wealthy, marriage minded, any age, never married man, with no children or siblings who has end-stage renal disease; no prenups or crackheads.

and you call ME picky.  *hmmph*

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »
and you call ME picky.  *hmmph*
:lmao:
Women are like teabags.

haziemal

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
I'm new to the board and just finding my way around, so sorry to be bringing back an old thread. Just wondering if anything ever became of this?

Almost all the dates I've had since moving this city have, for some weird reason, been with guys who lived in Brooklyn. (I have no idea why this is, I don't exactly consider myself a hipster :roll:) It would be great if there was some kind of sub-board or way to meet new people who don't end up being such a long train ride away!

thanks!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Let's give it a try.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life