relax

Poll

Does Astorians.com need a singles board?

Yes
43 (58.9%)
No
8 (11%)
Don't Care
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: October 15, 2007, 09:33:19 PM

Author Topic: Singles Board? Please Vote!  (Read 11504 times)

Sambarella

Re: Singles Board? Please Vote!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
I am single and ready to mingle.  Single boards are good mmmmmkay  8-) :2cool:

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:42 PM »
Under absolutely no circumstances should anyone be posting personal details on the internet for the public anywhere at any time - no matter if it's a singles site, myspace, or this site. That being said, many people still choose to post all kinds of personal information out there for the public to see and search engines to spider (and archive.org to permanently archive). It's totally their choice, and the same would be true for the singles board.

That being said, I personally feel that the dynamic of the board, and it's community-centered-dialog may actually make for a unique singles experience. If you're just looking to post for "hot sex" for example I have a feeling astorians might not be the place for you - but there's lots of sites out there that serve that demo well.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
Under absolutely no circumstances should anyone be posting personal details on the internet for the public anywhere at any time - no matter if it's a singles site, myspace, or this site. That being said, many people still choose to post all kinds of personal information out there for the public to see and search engines to spider (and archive.org to permanently archive). It's totally their choice, and the same would be true for the singles board.

Hey merm, can I have your credit card #?
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
Rather than a singles board per se, what about just something similar to OUT Astoria, only SINGLES Astoria, where singles events, etc. could be posted, with no personal info, anything like that, and just events that cater to single individuals.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 10:57:41 PM »
I wonder if the new board could be something not immediately accessible. Not highly restricted, but not something anyone could surf in and see/post in - you'd have to join astorians first and then request access. I don't know about the rest of you but when it comes to astorians and dating sites, I have different "security levels". I want people who might be dating me to have access to information that I don't want the general public (via astorians) to have access too. etc etc

are we talking about posting profiles and contacting other singles via pm, or just talking about being single and setting up mixers etc?

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 11:16:40 PM »
Rather than a singles board per se, what about just something similar to OUT Astoria, only SINGLES Astoria, where singles events, etc. could be posted, with no personal info, anything like that, and just events that cater to single individuals.

I think this is a good idea. That way, if you want to participate in the Astoria singles scene you can just visit that section of the board. MCW, I think your "all of the above" can fall into this category then.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
I wonder if maybe we could enable the ability to delete and edit posts. Especially because it wouldn't be too pleasant to put up a singles ad or what have you and then months and months later have it get bumped up when you're kind of seeing someone, or what you put in the ad no longer applies.

I know lots of the other message boards I frequent allow people to delete posts or at least edit their content and I think that would be useful in guarding the flow of personal information.

Sambarella

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
I wonder if maybe we could enable the ability to delete and edit posts. Especially because it wouldn't be too pleasant to put up a singles ad or what have you and then months and months later have it get bumped up when you're kind of seeing someone, or what you put in the ad no longer applies.

I know lots of the other message boards I frequent allow people to delete posts or at least edit their content and I think that would be useful in guarding the flow of personal information.

This would be a must and I agree with paratactical.  It doesnt have to be a big complicated thought out process.  Just make a SINGLES section as there is with the OUT astoria.  I doubt it will turn into a match.com or a swingers meeting place, its most likely going to be a discussion of singles out there, mixer info, dating, whatever.  But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now. 

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
This would be a must and I agree with paratactical.  It doesnt have to be a big complicated thought out process.  Just make a SINGLES section as there is with the OUT astoria.  I doubt it will turn into a match.com or a swingers meeting place, its most likely going to be a discussion of singles out there, mixer info, dating, whatever.  But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now.  

I agree. Or edit. I know it leads to ddubbin' but there are definitely places where I mentioned the street I live on and such and while I didn't mind sharing it with the current conversation, I'd kinda like to be able to go back and edit the statements.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »
But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now. 
Because it seriously impedes the continuity of a thread.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »
I understand that it messes up continuity, but with older threads, or in the beginnings of long threads, I don't see why it would be a problem or why a poster shouldn't be allowed to chose to do so.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
now being newly single, I'm all for it.
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with the BB software used here but I know with vbulletin you can make it so that some forums can't even be seen by guests or certain user groups. (which I assume would include search engine spiders). This would help protect people's privacy a lot if it is decided to allow people to posts ads of sorts.

I don't know if it is possible, but maybe having it so that only the OP can respond would be good as well, letting any interested parties communicate through e-mail or PM.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
i think everyone is getting a little off-topic.

it seems that most people wouldn't mind seeing a separate section for singles or for other personal issues.  it seems to be a given that it could only serve those who want something like that, and if you're not in the "market" then it doesn't really affect you.  that's that, really.

however to go along with all of the side-notes, i think if you are posting information about yourself that you're uncomfortable with (or may be down the road), that you really should rethink your postings from the beginning.  i'm guessing everyone on this site is  pretty internet savvy, so whether it's an Astorians' posting, or an IM, or something you put on MySpace, you should realize that you're putting information out there that potentially EVERYONE can see at some point in time.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
i think everyone is getting a little off-topic.

it seems that most people wouldn't mind seeing a separate section for singles or for other personal issues.  it seems to be a given that it could only serve those who want something like that, and if you're not in the "market" then it doesn't really affect you.  that's that, really.

however to go along with all of the side-notes, i think if you are posting information about yourself that you're uncomfortable with (or may be down the road), that you really should rethink your postings from the beginning.  i'm guessing everyone on this site is  pretty internet savvy, so whether it's an Astorians' posting, or an IM, or something you put on MySpace, you should realize that you're putting information out there that potentially EVERYONE can see at some point in time.

The issue is how to get rid of the ad when you're not single or not looking.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life