relax

Poll

Does Astorians.com need a singles board?

Yes
43 (58.9%)
No
8 (11%)
Don't Care
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: October 15, 2007, 09:33:19 PM

Author Topic: Singles Board? Please Vote!  (Read 11500 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Singles Board? Please Vote!
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
Due to expressed interest it seems appropriate to have an official poll to address the question of whether or not the site could benefit from a "singles" section (sub category). Previous opinions have been stated here and here and here among other places.

This thread is in response to a call for a vote. Please note that a "yes" or "no" answer doesn't mean that we'll add a singles board (sub category). Just want to see what everyone thinks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:41:43 PM by merm »

PizzaTheHut

Re: Singles Board? Please Vote!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
It doesn't need one, but it's a nice idea and I don't see how it could hurt.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:02:55 AM »
I agree.  I'm married, so it makes no difference to me if there is a singles site.  I do like the idea that there would be a separate subcategory for it.  This way if someone isn't interested, they don't have to see it.

While it's being thought about, maybe there can be another forum for more personal issues in general.  Not necessarily a neighborhood thing, nor a category where everything else goes to get lost in the shuffle (ie: "random gabble")

For example, this is where that recent thread about the woman who needed to get rid of her dogs can go.  That wasn't really a neighborhood issue, but it was certainly interesting enough to get some solid response (good and bad).  I can fully understand the need for that woman looking for an avenue to get some third-party advice, and whether she liked it or not, she got it.  I think that's great (I'd post something like that too if I needed the same).  I'm just not sure it belonged in that category of topics.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
Ditto, ditto, ditto  :mrgreen:

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
I can't see how a singles board would hurt.  I'm sure it would be well-received for those who need it.

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
I think moderation could be a problem, but it is a good idea.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
I also wonder how posting there would affect posting elsewhere on the board...

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
I'm not looking but I still think it's a great idea.  We just don't have time anymore and when we do have some time we hang out with our friends and usually in the same spots.

I think that not only a singles board but a once a month meet thingy.
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
I also wonder how posting there would affect posting elsewhere on the board...

Like in terms of people joining there just to post?

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
I'm quite happily attached (to someone I met through an astorians.com meetup event, not through any sort of "singles board"), but just a thought... Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever, right? If not by the board itself, then by search engines. (Try a google search with "site:astorians.com merm", for example!) I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
I'm quite happily attached (to someone I met through an astorians.com meetup event, not through any sort of "singles board"), but just a thought... Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever, right? If not by the board itself, then by search engines. (Try a google search with "site:astorians.com merm", for example!) I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Quite true, but that's also pretty similar to most online dating sites.  So if it were to happen, maybe there could be more flexibility with deleting posts from that specific part of the board. 
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »
It's quite obvious by the vote, that people feel this sub board would be asset. It also seems that those who voted for it are looking askance at this thread by the disproportionate votes to posters. I think we should just do it. It is going to take on a life of its own anyway!
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

BookMinstrel

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever [snip] I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Quite true, but that's also pretty similar to most online dating sites.

Harlan's point, I think: The danger is that any messages you post here are be linked to all the other details you have provided about yourself on the board. Many Astorians.com users share enough info about themselves to be identified.

Personals, on the other hand, are deliberately anonymous. Dating sites are password-protected/members only, and you can change or remove your profile. Craigslist posts expire after a week or so, and use protective anon accounts. With newspaper ads I think you're supposed to respond to a mailbox or voicemail or something.

I've never seen an ad that says "Hi, I'm Jane Smith and I'm looking for Mr. Right." Because then it's in black and white forever.

mc

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
What are singles looking for from a possible singles board?  Social mixers, personal ads, missed connections, all of the above?

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:27:54 PM »
just a little hep ...god knows i need it
What are singles looking for from a possible singles board? 
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Sambarella

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
I am single and ready to mingle.  Single boards are good mmmmmkay  8-) :2cool:

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:42 PM »
Under absolutely no circumstances should anyone be posting personal details on the internet for the public anywhere at any time - no matter if it's a singles site, myspace, or this site. That being said, many people still choose to post all kinds of personal information out there for the public to see and search engines to spider (and archive.org to permanently archive). It's totally their choice, and the same would be true for the singles board.

That being said, I personally feel that the dynamic of the board, and it's community-centered-dialog may actually make for a unique singles experience. If you're just looking to post for "hot sex" for example I have a feeling astorians might not be the place for you - but there's lots of sites out there that serve that demo well.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
Under absolutely no circumstances should anyone be posting personal details on the internet for the public anywhere at any time - no matter if it's a singles site, myspace, or this site. That being said, many people still choose to post all kinds of personal information out there for the public to see and search engines to spider (and archive.org to permanently archive). It's totally their choice, and the same would be true for the singles board.

Hey merm, can I have your credit card #?
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
Rather than a singles board per se, what about just something similar to OUT Astoria, only SINGLES Astoria, where singles events, etc. could be posted, with no personal info, anything like that, and just events that cater to single individuals.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 10:57:41 PM »
I wonder if the new board could be something not immediately accessible. Not highly restricted, but not something anyone could surf in and see/post in - you'd have to join astorians first and then request access. I don't know about the rest of you but when it comes to astorians and dating sites, I have different "security levels". I want people who might be dating me to have access to information that I don't want the general public (via astorians) to have access too. etc etc

are we talking about posting profiles and contacting other singles via pm, or just talking about being single and setting up mixers etc?

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 11:16:40 PM »
Rather than a singles board per se, what about just something similar to OUT Astoria, only SINGLES Astoria, where singles events, etc. could be posted, with no personal info, anything like that, and just events that cater to single individuals.

I think this is a good idea. That way, if you want to participate in the Astoria singles scene you can just visit that section of the board. MCW, I think your "all of the above" can fall into this category then.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
I wonder if maybe we could enable the ability to delete and edit posts. Especially because it wouldn't be too pleasant to put up a singles ad or what have you and then months and months later have it get bumped up when you're kind of seeing someone, or what you put in the ad no longer applies.

I know lots of the other message boards I frequent allow people to delete posts or at least edit their content and I think that would be useful in guarding the flow of personal information.

Sambarella

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
I wonder if maybe we could enable the ability to delete and edit posts. Especially because it wouldn't be too pleasant to put up a singles ad or what have you and then months and months later have it get bumped up when you're kind of seeing someone, or what you put in the ad no longer applies.

I know lots of the other message boards I frequent allow people to delete posts or at least edit their content and I think that would be useful in guarding the flow of personal information.

This would be a must and I agree with paratactical.  It doesnt have to be a big complicated thought out process.  Just make a SINGLES section as there is with the OUT astoria.  I doubt it will turn into a match.com or a swingers meeting place, its most likely going to be a discussion of singles out there, mixer info, dating, whatever.  But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now. 

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
This would be a must and I agree with paratactical.  It doesnt have to be a big complicated thought out process.  Just make a SINGLES section as there is with the OUT astoria.  I doubt it will turn into a match.com or a swingers meeting place, its most likely going to be a discussion of singles out there, mixer info, dating, whatever.  But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now.  

I agree. Or edit. I know it leads to ddubbin' but there are definitely places where I mentioned the street I live on and such and while I didn't mind sharing it with the current conversation, I'd kinda like to be able to go back and edit the statements.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »
But ability to delete posts should be key.  I dont see why we cant delete posts now. 
Because it seriously impedes the continuity of a thread.
Women are like teabags.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »
I understand that it messes up continuity, but with older threads, or in the beginnings of long threads, I don't see why it would be a problem or why a poster shouldn't be allowed to chose to do so.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
now being newly single, I'm all for it.
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with the BB software used here but I know with vbulletin you can make it so that some forums can't even be seen by guests or certain user groups. (which I assume would include search engine spiders). This would help protect people's privacy a lot if it is decided to allow people to posts ads of sorts.

I don't know if it is possible, but maybe having it so that only the OP can respond would be good as well, letting any interested parties communicate through e-mail or PM.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
i think everyone is getting a little off-topic.

it seems that most people wouldn't mind seeing a separate section for singles or for other personal issues.  it seems to be a given that it could only serve those who want something like that, and if you're not in the "market" then it doesn't really affect you.  that's that, really.

however to go along with all of the side-notes, i think if you are posting information about yourself that you're uncomfortable with (or may be down the road), that you really should rethink your postings from the beginning.  i'm guessing everyone on this site is  pretty internet savvy, so whether it's an Astorians' posting, or an IM, or something you put on MySpace, you should realize that you're putting information out there that potentially EVERYONE can see at some point in time.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »

it seems that most people wouldn't mind seeing a separate section for singles or for other personal issues.  it seems to be a given that it could only serve those who want something like that, and if you're not in the "market" then it doesn't really affect you.  that's that, really.

however to go along with all of the side-notes, i think if you are posting information about yourself that you're uncomfortable with (or may be down the road), that you really should rethink your postings from the beginning.  i'm guessing everyone on this site is  pretty internet savvy, so whether it's an Astorians' posting, or an IM, or something you put on MySpace, you should realize that you're putting information out there that potentially EVERYONE can see at some point in time.

The issue is how to get rid of the ad when you're not single or not looking.

Offline Hrmph

• Council Member
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
Single myself, i wouldnt mind seeing maybe a regular single mixers thing, but i think the whole ads thing may be abit too much. My vote was "don't care"....

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »

I think it's hard to cast a vote for something like this without knowing what exactly is meant by "singles board", how it will be administered, and how certain concerns will be addressed by board management. I think merm's intent was to guage interest and open dialogue, and so far it looks like we've got lots of good dialogue :)

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
I don't see it ever becoming an ad board. Y'all know what I mean?

SWF seeking very wealthy, married, well-hung man for expensive afternoon delights!

I truly believe it will take on a life of its own once it gets off to a good start. We have a lot of singles in the area who seem to have an interest in meeting other singles in the area. This sub-board might just prove to be a benefit to both the forum, in terms of memberships, and to those specifically interested in singles activities.
Women are like teabags.

mc

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »
For the question enigmacat raised about what the singles board will end up being, it would be great to hear from people who voted "yes" about what they want from the board.  That way, I think it would be easier to gauge issues of internet privacy, etc.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »
I for one am not necessarily thinking that it would have to be like the "casual encounters" section of craigslist. But there are quite a few topics that center around being single; conversations about dating in Astoria, advice in general, and people wanting to talk about or plan singles related activities. It doesn't have to be a "dating service", just that there could be a specific area of the board that focuses on being single in Astoria. For people looking for an anonymous and private way to find an adult friend there's adultfriendfinder.com. This is a community site, and singles are themselves a large "group" in the community as sports fans, foodies, parents etc are.

The dialog is great, it's good to hear everyone expressing their ideas about this.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:06 PM »
bring on a singles board - just like the "out" and "parenting/families" board... I think the more you can cater to specific segments of your audience the more user friendly this board becomes.  When Astorians was small all the child boards weren't necessary - but as membership grows I think diversifying is helpful.

That said - I know of three couples who met on Astorians without the help of a singles board - one of those couples just tied the knot.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »
That said - I know of three couples who met on Astorians without the help of a singles board - one of those couples just tied the knot.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Wow, I had no idea.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »
Well, I'm glad we got this all cleared up.  :-)

KatieP311

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
It's quite obvious by the vote, that people feel this sub board would be asset. It also seems that those who voted for it are looking askance at this thread by the disproportionate votes to posters. I think we should just do it. It is going to take on a life of its own anyway!

Amen sister.  :mrgreen:  It will do just what all our other threads do, and that is flourish.  It'd become it's own little section thriving with conversation and it could be a lot of fun I think!... but maybe that's just my single female opinion.  :roll:

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
60+ SWJF seeking extremely wealthy, marriage minded, any age, never married man, with no children or siblings who has end-stage renal disease; no prenups or crackheads.
Women are like teabags.

Offline Jiggs

• Council Member
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
I don't see it ever becoming an ad board. Y'all know what I mean?

SWF seeking very wealthy, married, well-hung man for expensive afternoon delights!

I truly believe it will take on a life of its own once it gets off to a good start. We have a lot of singles in the area who seem to have an interest in meeting other singles in the area. This sub-board might just prove to be a benefit to both the forum, in terms of memberships, and to those specifically interested in singles activities.

I'm not wealthy; I'm not married; and I'm definatley not......uh,  forget it.  But anyway, why not a singles site?   Everyone is overthinking it.   

Handyman

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
60+ SWJF seeking extremely wealthy, marriage minded, any age, never married man, with no children or siblings who has end-stage renal disease; no prenups or crackheads.

and you call ME picky.  *hmmph*

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »
and you call ME picky.  *hmmph*
:lmao:
Women are like teabags.

haziemal

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
I'm new to the board and just finding my way around, so sorry to be bringing back an old thread. Just wondering if anything ever became of this?

Almost all the dates I've had since moving this city have, for some weird reason, been with guys who lived in Brooklyn. (I have no idea why this is, I don't exactly consider myself a hipster :roll:) It would be great if there was some kind of sub-board or way to meet new people who don't end up being such a long train ride away!

thanks!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Let's give it a try.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
Let's give it a try.