relax

Poll

Does Astorians.com need a singles board?

Yes
43 (58.9%)
No
8 (11%)
Don't Care
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: October 15, 2007, 09:33:19 PM

Author Topic: Singles Board? Please Vote!  (Read 11499 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Singles Board? Please Vote!
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
Due to expressed interest it seems appropriate to have an official poll to address the question of whether or not the site could benefit from a "singles" section (sub category). Previous opinions have been stated here and here and here among other places.

This thread is in response to a call for a vote. Please note that a "yes" or "no" answer doesn't mean that we'll add a singles board (sub category). Just want to see what everyone thinks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:41:43 PM by merm »

PizzaTheHut

Re: Singles Board? Please Vote!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
It doesn't need one, but it's a nice idea and I don't see how it could hurt.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:02:55 AM »
I agree.  I'm married, so it makes no difference to me if there is a singles site.  I do like the idea that there would be a separate subcategory for it.  This way if someone isn't interested, they don't have to see it.

While it's being thought about, maybe there can be another forum for more personal issues in general.  Not necessarily a neighborhood thing, nor a category where everything else goes to get lost in the shuffle (ie: "random gabble")

For example, this is where that recent thread about the woman who needed to get rid of her dogs can go.  That wasn't really a neighborhood issue, but it was certainly interesting enough to get some solid response (good and bad).  I can fully understand the need for that woman looking for an avenue to get some third-party advice, and whether she liked it or not, she got it.  I think that's great (I'd post something like that too if I needed the same).  I'm just not sure it belonged in that category of topics.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
Ditto, ditto, ditto  :mrgreen:

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
I can't see how a singles board would hurt.  I'm sure it would be well-received for those who need it.

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
I think moderation could be a problem, but it is a good idea.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
I also wonder how posting there would affect posting elsewhere on the board...

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
I'm not looking but I still think it's a great idea.  We just don't have time anymore and when we do have some time we hang out with our friends and usually in the same spots.

I think that not only a singles board but a once a month meet thingy.
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline RedSoxfanNYC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
I also wonder how posting there would affect posting elsewhere on the board...

Like in terms of people joining there just to post?

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
I'm quite happily attached (to someone I met through an astorians.com meetup event, not through any sort of "singles board"), but just a thought... Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever, right? If not by the board itself, then by search engines. (Try a google search with "site:astorians.com merm", for example!) I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
I'm quite happily attached (to someone I met through an astorians.com meetup event, not through any sort of "singles board"), but just a thought... Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever, right? If not by the board itself, then by search engines. (Try a google search with "site:astorians.com merm", for example!) I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Quite true, but that's also pretty similar to most online dating sites.  So if it were to happen, maybe there could be more flexibility with deleting posts from that specific part of the board. 
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »
It's quite obvious by the vote, that people feel this sub board would be asset. It also seems that those who voted for it are looking askance at this thread by the disproportionate votes to posters. I think we should just do it. It is going to take on a life of its own anyway!
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

BookMinstrel

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
Postings here on astorians.com are archived literally forever [snip] I think posters should be aware of that, so that they don't post anything they're not comfortable being in the public record until the end of time...

Quite true, but that's also pretty similar to most online dating sites.

Harlan's point, I think: The danger is that any messages you post here are be linked to all the other details you have provided about yourself on the board. Many Astorians.com users share enough info about themselves to be identified.

Personals, on the other hand, are deliberately anonymous. Dating sites are password-protected/members only, and you can change or remove your profile. Craigslist posts expire after a week or so, and use protective anon accounts. With newspaper ads I think you're supposed to respond to a mailbox or voicemail or something.

I've never seen an ad that says "Hi, I'm Jane Smith and I'm looking for Mr. Right." Because then it's in black and white forever.

mc

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
What are singles looking for from a possible singles board?  Social mixers, personal ads, missed connections, all of the above?

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:27:54 PM »
just a little hep ...god knows i need it
What are singles looking for from a possible singles board? 
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life