relax

Author Topic: I want to join the military, but what are my rights?  (Read 1858 times)

zeno

I want to join the military, but what are my rights?
« on: September 23, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
This is an article written by a friend of mine that will soon be appearing in various free papers around town:

No Child Left Un-Recruited
The U.S. Military, Desperate For Warm Bodies, Targets Teenagers
By C.J. Maloney

As if a cavern was suddenly hollowed;
And the Piper advanced and the children followed,
And when all were in to the very last,
The door in the mountain-side shut fast
-Pied Piper of Hamlin.

With the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan generating far more American dead and wounded than planned for, the current shortfall in American youth willing to heed the call to arms is worrisome to the military. Despite the fact that our Constitution gives the Federal government no legal power to legislate at all regarding educational matters, our local representatives in Congress, Carolyn Maloney among them, have under the "Np Child Left Behind Act" required our schools to submit all contact information regarding our children to the military's recruiters upon request. Local schools, foolishly dependent upon federal money to operate, will loose that money should they refuse to comply. Thus, it is up to the parents of Queens, as individuals, to put themselves between their children and the military's Pied Pipers.

While many parents will look upon a military career for their children in a positive light, I ask them to think about the manner in which they are going about recruiting. For the federal government to illegally decree that New Yorkers must be forced to open our children's lives to the military; does that not reek of tyranny? If our children belong not to us but to the Federal government, what exactly is the meaning of this freedom we all keep yapping about? Why should New York obey a law such as this, one so utterly outside the constraints our Constitution allows the political elite in Washington D.C.? Are we New Yorkers so uncaring about liberty, can we teach our youth nothing but unthinking, blind submission to the federal government, to obey a "law" despite its clear illegality? True patriots do nothing of the sort.

So what can you do, should you feel the need to fight for your child's privacy and help to support our Constitution against this federal attack? Personally, I believe combining a bucket of tar, a bag of feathers, and our local Congresspersons would be a good start, but I'm behind the times. Another way is spelled out under statutory law, which requires each school to notify parents of the simple procedure necessary to have their child's name removed from the military's gaze. It is imperative to take advantage of this loophole before it is slammed shut.

By their ignoring the requirement to notify you of the opt-out procedure, dis your child's school show that its love of federal money exceeds its concern for you child's God-given right to privacy and the sactityof our Constitution? You can still fight back, by simply filling out the form which can be found at the following website http://www.brooklynpeace.org/index.html , making a copy for your records, and sending the letter certified return receipt to your child's school principal before October 14th. This will remove your child's contact information from the military's database, leaving your child free to choose whether or not they wish to speak to a recruiter. And isn't choice what freedom is all about?

Most importantly, all acts of resistance to the un-Constitutional, illegal No Child Left Behind Act will teach our children a lesson of far more worth  than anything they can be taught in Iraq. It will teach them how to uphold and defend liberty.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Maloney served time in the U.S. Air Force and is familiar with the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). He now works for a reputable New York financial firm and contributes articles periodically to antiwar.com

Zeno.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life