relax

Author Topic: PS 17 or IS 126  (Read 6678 times)

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
PS 17 or IS 126
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:39:09 PM »
Is there anyone who might have gone to these two schools?

I graduated from the 8th grade of IS 126 in 1985.

Gummo

Re: PS 17 or IS 126
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:25:32 AM »
I graduated from PS 17 in 1980.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:23:03 PM »
I graduated from PS 17 in 1980.
HA! PS 17 wasn't even on the drawing board when I graduated from JHS 126 in 1956 where I learned all about sex, drugs and rock-n-roll!  :angel:
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
I went to PS 17, and then IS 126. I enjoyed 17, but 126 was not a pleasant experience in the 1970s, very tough existence. Not sure if it was different in the 1980s.

NYCMacUser, you must have gone to PS 5 instead for grade school then. It burned down in the late 1960s.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »
IS 126 was still pretty tough in the 80's.  But I was in the accelerated "SP" program (we all skipped ninth grade as a result of the program), so FOR THE MOST PART, we were isolated a bit from the typical goings-on at the school.

barrister15

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
I went to both... graduated PS 17 in 1980, IS 126 in 1983 (and was also in the SP program).

Things have changed A LOT in those schools. A few years ago I was handling a case where my client (the defendant) was in a school hallway putting a headlock on another kid until the kid passes out and falls to the ground. My client then kicks the kid to see if he's conscious. I'm watching the video of the incident (yes, many NYC schools have video cameras these days) and I'm thinking, "Wow, that hallway looks familiar!" and sure enough, it was at 126. I don't remember that happening back in the day.

Scary, but I've been getting A LOT of clients coming out of IS 126 lately...

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 06:49:40 PM »
If you are wondering what these schools are now like, here are blurbs on Inside Schools (a very useful website about all NYC public schools).

PS 17 Henry Thoreau School
IS 126 A. Shanker School of Visual & Performing Arts

I'm thinking, "Wow, that hallway looks familiar!"
I find it interesting when I see movies and TV shows that have parts filmed inside NYC Public Schools and to be honest, I think many of them look very alike inside: the tiling on the lower half of the wall, the line down the middle of the hallway...

Offline cthulhu

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 08:06:19 PM »
I went to both... graduated PS 17 in 1980, IS 126 in 1983 (and was also in the SP program).

Things have changed A LOT in those schools. A few years ago I was handling a case where my client (the defendant) was in a school hallway putting a headlock on another kid until the kid passes out and falls to the ground. My client then kicks the kid to see if he's conscious. I'm watching the video of the incident (yes, many NYC schools have video cameras these days) and I'm thinking, "Wow, that hallway looks familiar!" and sure enough, it was at 126. I don't remember that happening back in the day.

Scary, but I've been getting A LOT of clients coming out of IS 126 lately...

No offense but I hope your client did time.

barrister15

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »
No offense but I hope your client did time.

Nope. The kid (he was 12) got a conditional discharge.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »
Barrister, any teachers from IS 126 stand out for you?

Mrs. Friedman (science) and Mrs. Seever (english) were my favorites.  At the time they seemed really tough, but 20+ years later, I know they were everything that teachers should be (especially in a school where 80-85% of the student body were problematic).

I also recall the Hoffmans (Mr. and Mrs.) and that crazy science teacher guy (can't recall his name).  I'm sure there are some other teachers that I recall, but not as vividly.

barrister15

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »
Barrister, any teachers from IS 126 stand out for you?

Mrs. Olesh -- I had her for science all three years. Hated her. Also, Ms. Sacina for English (she was my homeroom teacher in 6th grade too). You could smell her perfume before you could see her. I had Mr. Hochman (not Hoffman) for history. And I had a woman with a Jamaican accent for Spanish... I can picture my teachers, but for the life of me I can't remember many of their names.

I remember the principal at the time -- Ms. Vogt -- who was really nice and totally dedicated to the kids, but was a packrat. I remember she drove me home once and her car was filled with old newspapers. I think she passed away about 15 years ago.

I remember leaving school in the middle of the day on Wednesdays to go get buy one, get one free sundaes at the Carvel in the shopping center next door... good times.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
HOCHMAN, that's right.  I had them both as teachers, and the Mr. was also my homeroom teacher in the 6th grade. 

I know what you mean about remembering a lot of the teachers, but not their names. 

I remember the African-American typing teacher (she was pretty mean, as I recall)...and the two vocal teachers (one was named Mrs. Patterson, I think)...also the two old lady girl's gym teachers...and the older-than-dirt librarian (I worked in there once or twice a week).  I think I also remember that Spanish teacher.

Mrs. Vogt!  Never had much in the way of dealings with her.  I also think I recall that there was this pervvy male teacher.

Wow weird.  I haven't thought very much about these people.  JHS seems so far away.  I guess it is though...more than 22 years ago.  WOW!

barrister15

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
I remember the African-American typing teacher (she was pretty mean, as I recall)...and the two vocal teachers (one was named Mrs. Patterson, I think)...also the two old lady girl's gym teachers...and the older-than-dirt librarian (I worked in there once or twice a week).  I think I also remember that Spanish teacher.

I remember that typing teacher! OMG, she WAS mean -- and to this day I can still hear her "singing" A-S-D-F-G-H-J-K-L-;

There was a really nice male typing teacher too -- I think his name started with a P.

I remember the gym teachers. I remember one of them drove a little Mercedes convertible that she would park outside the school. I remember thinking, "wow, teachers make a lot of money!" (ah, the naivete of youth... )

Don't remember the vocal teachers -- I was a band geek -- but I do remember (quite fondly) Mr. Berger the music teacher.

(And I think the pervert was Mr. Stokes... )

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:14 PM »
yes, yes, yes.....Mr. Stokes.  I think you're right.  I thought you said you were bad at names?!  I also remember Mr. Berger. I had a lot of friends who were in band.

What high school did you go to?  When I had the chance, I applied to another one of the Queens public schools (I wasn't going to go to LIC).  I ended up at Forest Hills HS and then later to Syracuse University.

barrister15

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »
I wasn't going to LIC either... I begged my parents to send me to private school. Luckily I got into Brooklyn Tech.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life