relax

Author Topic: The government belongs to you  (Read 2050 times)

Jerry Kann

The government belongs to you
« on: September 18, 2005, 11:12:34 PM »
I tried posting on the topic of "Why I'm running for City Council in Astoria" about six weeks ago. I haven't gotten any responses yet. So I thought I'd try again. This time I'll be much briefer.

I want our government to be much more open and democratic. If elected, I will:

* hold regular (at least monthly) public meetings to get the input of the people who live here in Astoria

* promote the idea of **elected** Community Boards throughout New York, to replace the undemocratic appointed Boards that we have now

* revamp the Rent Guidelines Board and generally try to make city and state government more accountable to tenants

* support a statewide drive to allow same-sex couples to marry

* support a city and state initiative to allow non-citizens (legal immigrants) to vote in local elections

See, the whole emphasis is on opening things up so the **average person** has more power. And at the **local** and **community** level, we can deal with each other face-to-face. We can really interact, really communicate like human beings. And I mean everybody in Astoria. There will be a lot of disagreement and noisy arguments at the meetings I want to hold. But at least people will be talking to each other and starting to take control of their own government.

Please, those of you who read this, I'd love to hear your feedback. Please post a response. And think about the idea somebody posted a while back for a Political Discussion Group.

People should also feel free to visit my campaign website, KannForCouncil.net, or call me on the telephone. The number's 718-728-1092.

Thanks so much-------Jerry Kann, Green Party candidate for City Council in Astoria

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 08:22:37 AM »
I'll be voting for you Jerry - we could use some changes in local community politics.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
and you found our community
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »
I'll vote for you.  You'd think there'd be others who would seek out their constiuents (or potentials) by getting on the community bulletin boards - apparently Jerry, you beat the heckle out of whomever you're running against.

Now can we talk about all the frickin garbage all over the streets/sidewalks in our lovely neighborhood.  It's driving me NUTS

Jen

petrosi

got my vote
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:36:48 PM »
Jerry, we have to take back our government and get rid of all the
special interests that make it work against us rather than for us..

Stinger

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:27:11 PM »
What type of issues do you really vote on? I realize that we are not going to have anything on same sex marriage at city level right now. but other types of things are actually being voted on right now.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life