relax

Poll

What (if anything) should be done about the "Food, Restaurant, Festivals" catagory?

Leave it like it is!
6 (50%)
Consolidate it by creating a new catagory (per below)
3 (25%)
I don't really care
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 22, 2005, 11:24:09 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of consolidating "Food" catagory...  (Read 2399 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Thinking of consolidating "Food" catagory...
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:09 AM »
Greetings all,

I'm thinking of merging this catagory with "Where can I find ___ in Astoria". (Of course I will update that catagory to include a description that includes the title that food, festivals, and restaurants should be posted there).

The reasons being:

1 - Because it has the lowest post count. People are posting things related to food in the "general" area, or in the "Where can I find" area.

2 - I'm finding that most of the posts that are related to "food, restaurants, or festivals" are not even being posted here. Most of them are in the "where can I find..." or in the "general discussion" sections. This means that "food" related posts are scattered throughout the board and that this catagory isn't getting used. At the same time, most of the posts in this catagory, could just as well fit in another. I believe that a streamline of catagories is in order.

3 - Because consolidation will mean that more people will see the individual posts and potentially respond to them by having more posts in less catagories.

I'm open to thoughts on this.

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:42:45 AM »
I think food is a huge part of Astoria... given the sheer number, variety & quality of the restaurants in our area, I think it deserves its own category. I know people (myself included, before I moved to Astoria) who go out of their way to visit the neighborhood just for the food.

I don't think I'd like to have to go searching for food-related topics buried in more general categories.

Just my 2 cents :)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:03:14 PM »
I'm not so sure that it would be "buried." The title on the main screen would be modified so that it's clear where "food" discussion happens.

I think that the current structure makes the food topics get more buried than you may realize. People are posting about food in 3 separate catagories right now, whereas if we consolidated them into one catagory ALL food related topics would be under one heading instead of the three existing ones that I'm finding posts related to food in ("General", "Where is ____," and "Food")

I'm all for not having to dig around for posts - but having them all appear in one spot.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 02:54:14 PM »
I think food should stay in a separate category.  There are a lot of us on here who are passionate about good food, whether it relates specifically to supermarkets, shops, CSAs or restaurants, a dinner club, stone soup club - or even our little bitty gardens yielding a tomato or three.  I do like having it separate.

So I'll make a counterproposal that we should encourage people to post relating to food in the food category, rather than merging food into General.  In that case, it could be called something like "All About Food" or "Everything Food and Wine".

In that vein, "Where can I find ____ in Astoria" would be finding anything except for food.  Dry cleaners or cat litter, or bookstores, for example.  And festivals could be moved to the "General" category.

daveed

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 05:33:50 PM »
Quote from: lanseaux
So I'll make a counterproposal that we should encourage people to post relating to food in the food category, rather than merging food into General.  In that case, it could be called something like "All About Food" or "Everything Food and Wine".

I like that idea.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 05:57:14 PM »
I think that's not a bad idea - however the bottom line is that there is no way to disseminate that information where people will actually read it.

I'd just rather see a consolidated catagory created that would encourage people to post their food related topics there, rather than the current system where food related posts can go in any one of three catagories. It will be less scatterd I believe by consolidating. Just my opinion though... :)

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 09:48:05 AM »
If you're going to the trouble of consolidating things, why not just move the misplaced food topics back into the food category where they belong? You had cited low post counts as a reason to do away with the separate food category, but judging by the number of food topics scattered around, it's a popular subject. (I know it's a pain to clean up after everyone, but I suppose in a public forum it falls to the moderator(s) to keep order)

:idea: Another idea...

Re-order the category listings on the main forum page. If "General" were last on the list, it would force people to look at the different specific categories first to see if their topic should be filed there. Maybe someone posting a food topic just didn't scroll down to see that there's a Food & Dining category. (on my screen, the Food heading falls just below the bottom, so I don't see it unless I scroll down one)

Present people with the category choices before they resort to "none of the above".

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 08:45:15 AM »
Will leave like it is for the time being.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life