relax

Author Topic: KFC closed?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
KFC closed?
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:20:12 AM »
Is this possible? I walked by the KFC by the Ditmars stop tonight and there were a couple paper signs taped to the front saying "CLOSED LOST OUR LEASE." This doesn't make me sad as I don't think I've ever been interested in ordering from KFC, but it surprises me as it's one of those big restaurant chain things that seems invincible.

daveed

KFC closed?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 10:01:47 AM »
That place always seemed to be doing OK every time I walked past it. Maybe the landlord upped the rent so that the franchisee (who is ultimately responsible for the business, not the corporate parent) couldn't pay the rent.

Or maybe they lost it due to health code vios. I don't know if that's possible.

More importantly, what's going to take it's place? My guess another food establishment of some kind since the property is obviously already outfitted for it. I'd like to see a really good Lebanese pita place like the one on 30th Ave across from the Astoria Hospital.

What do others here think should take KFC's place?

Telesphoros

replacement business
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 11:07:28 AM »
I'd like to see a massage parlor open. :oops:

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
KFC closed?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 11:21:48 AM »
Quote from: daveed
I'd like to see a really good Lebanese pita place like the one on 30th Ave across from the Astoria Hospital.

There's a Lebanese place?? What's it called? (I had the most wonderful pita with shredded meat & this mixture of garlic sauce, chili sauce & tahini at this Lebanese place in Cyprus last summer and have been craving it ever since)

:D

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
KFC closed?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »
A number of us have been wanting a good cheese shop to open.  That would be nice.  However, I went into Rosario's a couple days ago and walked out with a wonderful bag of fresh mozzarella and a good aged parm.  The mozz tastes amazing with my CSA tomatoes and basil.  It looked like they had a number of other good cheeses, and the guy I talked to (Rosario?) said I could taste any of the cheeses they have, which is cool. I'll be visiting them more often.  A big shout-out to lanseaux, who recommended this place originally.

That all being said, I'd still like a dedicated cheese shop to open up locally.

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
A nice Cheese Shop?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 04:04:25 PM »
:lol: Hmmmm, maybe this could help.....

http://www.minderella.com/words/cheeseshop.htm
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

daveed

KFC closed?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 05:40:50 PM »
Quote from: artgirl
I'd like to see a really good Lebanese pita place like the one on 30th Ave across from the Astoria Hospital.

There's a Lebanese place?? What's it called?

I can't remember. You can't miss it -- I think "PITA" something is spelt out on the awning. The hospital is actually called Mount Sinai -- it's across the street from there, between Crescent and 26th Street.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
KFC closed?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:15 PM »

I can't remember. You can't miss it -- I think "PITA" something is spelt out on the awning. The hospital is actually called Mount Sinai -- it's across the street from there, between Crescent and 26th Street.

What are the actual pitas like?  My housemate is half Lebanese and she is on a perpetual search for delicious pita with a pocket, like what she grew up with.  Most pitas I have found are a bit thin and rough tasting.  I once had wonderful pita at a mediterranean restaurant that was soft and chewy and with a pocket.

Offline maura

• Citizen
    • maura dot com
KFC closed?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 09:54:12 PM »
that's weird -- as i posted on another thread, the kfc/taco bell on steinway st also lost its lease. could the two be connected?
astorian since 2002, for the most part

daveed

KFC closed?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 10:20:30 PM »
Quote from: megc
What are the actual pitas like?  My housemate is half Lebanese and she is on a perpetual search for delicious pita with a pocket, like what she grew up with.  Most pitas I have found are a bit thin and rough tasting.  I once had wonderful pita at a mediterranean restaurant that was soft and chewy and with a pocket.

IIRC, I had a platter that came with all sorts of goodies, pita included. The pita at this place was quite fresh and chewy, and the hummous was garlicky the way I like it. I also remember them giving me a TON of food. Almost too much, really. And for someone with my, eh, palate, that's saying alot.

I've not been back b/c I'm rarely down that way these days. But now that I'm thinking about it -- and haven't eaten dinner yet -- must make a note to go back soon...

*now I'm starving!*

Quote from: maura
that's weird -- as i posted on another thread, the kfc/taco bell on steinway st also lost its lease. could the two be connected?

Could be I suppose, if they were owned by the same franchisee, or the respective properties by the same landlord.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
KFC closed?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 12:08:13 AM »
I would love some kind of takeout place that's open past midnight to go there. Sorely needed in the neighborhood. I'm surprised there aren't any of these around there already, seeing as that a lot of people take the train to Ditmars at all times of the night. I imagine many of them would be thrilled to be able to just walk into a little hole in the wall and order a gyro or salad or something to go. Dunkin Donuts just doesn't do it for me when I'm looking for real food, and I don't want to sit alone at Mike's at 2am.

flooz

KFC closed?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 08:55:40 AM »
Quote from: artgirl

There's a Lebanese place?? What's it called?

oh my gosh, is it Pita Hot? if it is, i love love love their falafel and hummus sandwich. And the people there are so nice. i havent been in a few months, but when i was last there, they were lookng into doing delivery. I hope they have because now talking about them, i could use a tasty treat!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
KFC closed?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 09:37:17 AM »
I'd personally like to see a burrito shop / mexican place get put in. Even a Taco Bell would be ok by me, but I'd prefer a locally owned burrito shop.

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
KFC closed?
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 09:54:52 AM »
You can't miss it -- I think "PITA" something is spelt out on the awning. The hospital is actually called Mount Sinai -- it's across the street from there, between Crescent and 26th Street.

Thanks for the info! :)

daveed

KFC closed?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 10:58:36 AM »
Quote from: merm
I'd personally like to see a burrito shop / mexican place get put in. Even a Taco Bell would be ok by me, but I'd prefer a locally owned burrito shop.

That would be my second choice... Mmm with a fresh salsa bar... Something like Burrito Brothers, my old fave when I was l living in DC.

*drools*

And I pray to the Gods of Commercial Real Estate, please not another beeper store, cigarette shack or 'fresh-off-the-truck' clothing store. :D

Quote from: essen
oh my gosh, is it Pita Hot?

Yeah, I googled that name -- that's the one.

Pita Hot
25-15 30th Avenue
Astoria, NY 11102
Tel: (718) 932-8282 [/quote]

flooz

KFC closed?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 12:23:56 PM »
go try Pita Hot, it rocks

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life