relax

Author Topic: Tuesday CSA pickups  (Read 14745 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2005, 10:51:28 PM »
Quote from: RavenswoodCSA
It's at Tara's...

30-90 23rd St.
Astoria, NY

It's at 6:30 on Friday.

call me if you have questions.  

I am attending this meeting, and I think Jayme is.  Who here is not?  And would you like one of us attending to bring your opinions to the table?  This is regarding moving the pickup site, probably other things. Let us know!

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
10/4 veg. pickup
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »
So what is the plan for tomorrow?

zeno

Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 02:26:50 AM »
If Lanseaux is willing I would like a ride as well to the CSA Dis./Centre. I will probably not want to come back however as I find it necessary to hang out with my good friend merm and (re)hash out his paper on the freedom of speech, by Fish...iow I long to hang out and shoot the sh*t.! in "good" company :-)

[PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Twelve (12) days in counting 'til drinking Ultimatum1 takes effect  #-)]

See you soon mrm :-)
--Zen*

RavenswoodCSA

Minutes from the 9-30 Meeting
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 11:04:49 AM »
I started another topic on CSA News.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
I'm around and able to go this afternoon.  Earlier - closer to 4 - is better for me today.  My office is closed because of the holiday.

Shanah Tovah, everyone.  :)

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 11:51:55 AM »
Quote from: lanseaux
I'm around and able to go this afternoon.  Earlier - closer to 4 - is better for me today.  My office is closed because of the holiday.

Shanah Tovah, everyone.  :)

I will see you at 4 then!

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2005, 11:39:18 AM »
Is there an update on tomorrow's farm tour? My husband and I were planning on going, but we need to know where to meet if we're going with a group from NYC to there.

Otherwise please provide public transit directions to the farm and we'll see if we can get there on our own.

Thanks!
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »
Sorry, I was offline for a few days - hope you found your way.  Did the tour still go on despite the rain?

As for tomorrow, I'm doing my 3 hours volunteering from 4-7.  I'm still happy to drive people there, but I would suggest you find your way back - I'm assuming the best is the bus.  Sorry for any inconvenience there.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 11:30:20 PM »
I will meet you for a ride there and am happy to find a way back, no problem.  See you at the Peach at 4pm?

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:38 PM »
Yes - we were able to go to the farm. Matt and I went with Cara and a few other people from the CSA. It was a little bit of a drive, but it was great to see the farm in person and see where our veggies come from. Thankfully for most of our visit there it didn't rain, so that was really great.

Anyway, it is a great farm and the people are really nice. We feel really positive about supporting them and being able to get good quality vegetables from a good source. If they do another CSA trip you should go if you haven't already.
My vegan recipes blog

AstoriaK

Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
Is anyone as excited as I am about those sweet potatoes!  These babies are going to get the gold treatment-sliced thick and placed on my indoor grill before I put it away for the winter.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »
When we were at the farm Farmer Bill told us that we would probably be getting sweet potatoes for the rest of the season. I definitely need to come up with new ways of making them. I always just bake them in the oven like regular potatoes, but I need to get creative if I am going to be getting them every week!
My vegan recipes blog

cara

Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2005, 01:21:01 PM »
I am also searching for new Sweet Potato recipes.  I'm happy about them because they're super healthy and won't rot if i don't eat them this week.  

I just baked them in wedges with kosher salt and diped them in a creamy horseradish sauce.  

I was just reading about them on WeightWatchers and they have a breakfast pancake recipe made with pureed sweet potaoes, baked chunks that are tossed with teriaki before baking, and sweet pototes in a more traditional potato salad.    You can shred them and make them in latke thing.  My boyfriend mashes them with butter, rasins and orange juice.  That's tasty!

also, do not refridgerate them... a cool, dark place is best.  about 55 degrees.  It's tough to store things like that for those of us who live in the city.  If they're stored at room temp, they should last about a week.  I just learned this... mine are in the crisper and maybe I'll have to find a place to store them.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2005, 01:36:42 PM »
Yes, city apartments abound in cool dark places that are about 55 degrees.  :wink:

We're lucky, we actually have one of those wall boxes in our kitchen that has no insulation between it and the outside.  Horrible in summer, but in winter it keeps root vegetables quite nicely.

I came up with a really good mock souffle type thing for the acorn squash that I think would work well with sweet potato, but it has cheese and egg in it (not to mention sausage).  It's on my blog, if anyone's interested.  

BUT, you could use the idea to build a similar mash or puree that's vegan. Start with olive oil or coconut milk, and add whatever spices suit.  I'm thinking aromatic - a little allspice, hint of cloves, or maybe Chinese 5-spice powder.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
Tuesday CSA pickups
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2005, 03:37:21 PM »
Having the sweet potatoes is awesome!  I love roasting them with yukon golds, parsnips, and carrots, seasoned with garlic cloves, lots of kosher salt, thyme, oregano, and rosemary.  And olive oil, of course.  I cook them uncovered at 375 degrees for about an hour.  This is my weekly root vegetable roasting pattern in the cooler months.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life