relax

Author Topic: An Astorians.com meeting with our Local Representatives?  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senator
An Astorians.com meeting with our Local Representatives?
« on: August 05, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
I wish to make a proposal!  I will personally organize an Astorians.com Meeting with our local representatives this fall.  It will be held at Riccardo's.  It will be sponsored by the Astoria Renaissance Committee (a Committee I had formed seven years ago made up of the residents around the park).  We would invite Giannaris, Vallone, representatives from the 114th Precinct, Sanitation, representatives from Astoria Park and perhaps the Transit Authority.

We should focus on three topics, so that we keep this to one and a half hours the most.  In order to decide which subjects to focus on, we will put up a poll to determine what people are really concerned about.   These are some suggestions:

Noise polution (mainly from motorcycles)
Trash and littering
Graffiti
Dog walkers not picking up after their dogs
Astoria Park issues
Odd smells on Ditmars
Over Development of the area
Pistilli and various issues with his buildings

Please give me an idea of any other subjects that you would like to see on the poll.  If there is more time, we can certainly go to a fourth and fifth topic.

Since I do not wish to look like a fool in front of our representatives, I would like to get an idea of who from this forum would participate (obviously, if you are actually in town and do not have an emergency).  I just wish to see how much interest there is prior to organizing this.  Let's see exactly how many individuals are willing to make the effort to attend a meeting.  Once we post the date and time, l will come to you again for your commitment to attend.  We can then take attendance at the meeting and see who actually showed up. 

The only way I was able to get anything done in the past was to attend meetings, to organize meetings, and to get the local papers involved.  Alas, I felt that I was all alone in my efforts and became burnt out.  I am willing to give it another try, with your assistance.  Who is the first one to commit?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: An Astorians.com meeting with our Local Representatives?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
Who is the first one to commit?
I am.

IMHO, questions should be submitted in advance by Astorians, so that the meeting can meet a sensible time frame and still get some answers, and perhaps even a plan of action, from representatives of the community.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
Assuming the day and time is something I can work with I'd be interested in attending. Once we get a good list of topics let's create a poll so we can address the top three.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
Count me in.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:30 PM »
I'll be there.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »
I'd like to be a part of this!

BigBryan

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »
I'm in - Great idea Debbie - and great doing the ground work - Congrats :mrgreen:

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »
Delighted to see the responses so far.  Can anyone add to the list of topics so that we can create a poll?  And yes, we can submit questions right from the start so that this can be well organized and efficient.

Who else would commit to attending?

tuesday

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »
I'll attend.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »
We would invite Giannaris, Vallone, representatives from the 114th Precinct, Sanitation, representatives from Astoria Park and perhaps the Transit Authority.

What about Eric Gioia?

I think an important subject is crime in the area.  Judging by some of the discussions, there seems to be a legit concern about vandalism, gang activity, incidents at clubs, burglaries, etc.  

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:24:49 PM »
Everyone will be invited.  Some will attend personally and some will send representatives.  I will however, try to get the actual representatives to attend.  We will also ask for someone to come from Maloney's office.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »
I like the idea of inviting Eric Gioia.  And Maloney!   :mrgreen:

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »
I'll attend. 

Traffic concerns.  People not obeying traffic signals, not using turn signals, etc...  It seems to get worse every year.  I'm surprised we don't see more pedestrians get hit.

This includes Police officers refusal to use turn signals.  Must leat by example.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 11:14:52 PM »
I'll attend.

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »
I second Jtrane on people not obeying traffic signals. I notice this more now in the area of where I live where there are more stop signs and very few traffic lights. I've had to stare down people in their cars or aggresively start crossing the street, either because they're not slowing down or just keep rolling through.

Debbie, are you trying to bring attention to the Ditmars area only or greater Astoria? I'm hoping this is a group that would help resolve issues in all of Astoria.

Graffitti and littering are big issues for me, as well. I would contend that at the meeting, there would be more important things to talk about first, though.

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life