relax

Author Topic: Pilates?  (Read 2895 times)

trixxed

Pilates?
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »
Hello.
I'm interested in finding private pilates sessions. I'm a beginner. I know there's a "studio" at Synergy on Broadway, which I'm a member of, which I think seems antithetical to a good pilates environment. And I know they offer something private at The Yoga Room on Steinway, as well as group sessions on a mat.
I'm just off 30th Avenue, near 29th Street.
If you know of these or any other people/places, including private enterprise (no funny stuff!), I'd like to know what's in the neighborhood, including prices, if you have any.
Thank you. :mrgreen:
Michael

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
Re: Pilates?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
I belong to The Rock, over at Ditmars. They're offering private pilates and yoga sessions for members,
but I would think that non-members could probably also schedule sessions since the trainers there have clients
who are members and non-members. They would probably just have to find a space to work with you
since Synergy probably wouldn't allow a trainer from another gym on the premises.

Your options are limited in Astoria. If you really want excellent pilates private instruction, I recommend
Power Pilates on West 23rd between 5th & 6th Aves. Website is www.powerpilates.com.

They have a great intro package where you get a private class, a mat class and a massage for, I think, around
$130  -- check the site for that.

They also do private and semi-private classes where you bring a couple of people for a small, intimate group and
it saves you $$.

PP is great - I go there in addition to my classes at the Rock.

You also mentioned the Yoga Room. I think that one of the instructors at the Rock may teach there too and if so,
she's wonderful.

Good luck.

metico70

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:19 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't know about Astoria, but there's a great studio on Bleecker and Mott called Re:Ab.  My friend teaches there and she is great! Her name is Bettina, if interested.  Very nice studio with great showers and great teachers.  I think it might be on kind of the expensive side, but they do teach authentic pilates...i.e. the program and equipment set up by Mr. Pilates himself.  reabnyc.com  Oh, also they have an apprentice program where you can get free private lessons! 

Offline jbdancer

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
Hi There,

I am a certified pilates instructor.  I have extensive experience and training in injury prevention, pre and post natal pilates, myofascial release, as well as yoga and strength/circuit training.  I've worked at several studios around the city. I've recently had a baby and decided to shift all of my work to Astoria, since I live in the neighborhood.  I teach privates sessions on the equipment in a space that's near the Broadway stop on the N/Q or the Steinway Stop on the R train.  If you are interested in private sessions, I'd love to speak with you and give you more information.

Warmly,

Josie Bray

Offline CSHawaii

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »
I am new to New York/Astoria and looking for a Pilates instructor. 

Offline gina

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
Also check out Tone Pilates, which is on 37th Street between Broadway & 31st Avenue.

Tone has mat and reformer classes as well Surf Set too.

They also take private clients - the website is www.toneny.com

You'll see the menu there  - you can inquire about private instruction with either of the two owners or the instructors.

They're all excellent - Tone has over a dozen five-star reviews on Yelp.

I've been taking advanced mat classes there for a year and love it.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life