relax

Author Topic: Japanese Cuisine  (Read 6427 times)

Bookbinder

Japanese Cuisine
« on: October 10, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »
a new Japanese cuisine restaurant called WATAWA has recently [2 weeks ago] opened!  its located at 33-10 Ditmars Blvd.  and i gotta tell ya, its delicious!  and cheap!  i just had the best vegetable tempura and miso soup.  their list of sushi is quite impressive.  and the best part - they didnt mind me staying long after i finished my meal to just sit and have 2 pots of green tea while i wrote some letters to friends.

it was a bit odd though to hear the party of seven behind me talking of how one of them has "really strong toes!"   :shock:

Offline Rapture

• Campaigning for Council
Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 05:45:24 PM »
I must agree!!  I ate at Watawa about 2 days after it opened (as it's a block away from me), and since then I've eaten there/ordered delivery probably 3 or 4 more times.

I've had better miso soup, but the sushi was quite delicious and affordable.

KilDaraSidhe

Watawa is mmmm mmmm good.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 12:55:47 AM »
I did not care for the dressing on the salads that they used, but their sashimi was delicious. Nice and fresh and melts in your mouth goodness. From the food alone I would never guess that Chinese people run the place. I love the decor and atmosphere as well, very pleasing to the eyes and very relaxing.

NickNSakai

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 08:37:05 PM »
What's your opinion on "Go Wasabi"?

Tooms

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »
I really like Go Wasabi.  Never actually eaten there, always had delivery.  Before Go Wasabi, and now, I guess, this new place, the only sushi places were really scary bad, so I'm happy they've arrived.

darkelephant

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »
Go Wasabi's not bad for me, though not great either. I ate this monstrous sampler, sushi's and all. Maybe I just had a big appetite or maybe ,for the price, the serving wasn't large enough. What's cool though is they have a jazz night! That I gotta experience. I'm goin to head to Watawa soon and see if my expectations are met. Japanese cuisine (authentic) is really a tough one. I so love sake!

KilDaraSidhe

I'm picky on my Japanese food
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 12:03:15 AM »
Normally I am a picky person when it comes to Japanese cuisine, especially since I am married to a Japanese man. I usually will not eat Japanese food that is not prepared my someone who is Japanese, especially sashimi. However, being excited that there is Japanese resturants in Astoria I have gone to both even though neither are actually run by Japanese. I made an exception for these Astoria resturants that I don't for Manhatten ones. My experiences are below.

Go Wasabi is ok. The staff is friendly enough and the fish is ok (though they have had off days were the fish didn't taste that good), but not perfect and tends to be on the small side for the price you pay. I like the fish at Watawa better. It just taste more fresh and hasn't let me down yet. Though there dressing on thier sald isnt that great and doesn't taste like a traditional Japanese dressing but then again niehter does Go Wasabi's either.

iLoveCheese

JJ Fusion
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »
on 31st Av is great!

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
Japanese Restaurants
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 12:39:08 AM »
Where is Wasabi -- the address?  

Also, there is one (not that good in my opinion) on 24th Avenue, right off of 31st Street but I don't the name of it.  Has anybody been there?
Truth is one, Paths are many

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:10:23 PM »
Go Wasabi is on the north-side of Ditmars between 29th and 31st Streets. I don't know the exact address... There is another one on Broadway, too, I think, but I am not entirely sure.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline Rapture

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 08:45:28 PM »
The one on 24th Avenue is called Tokyo and actually, I enjoy their food.

KilDaraSidhe

Yuck for Tokyo
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 10:34:37 PM »
I ordered raw fish from Tokyo and it was warm and slimy. I will never eat there again. Again though, Tokyo is not run by Japanese. What Astoria needs is a Japanese restaurant run by Japanese people.

Offline Rapture

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:08:18 AM »
http://centralastoria.org/visit/restaurants/japanese.htm

Cool site.  I'll post the main page in another category.

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
sushi
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 03:53:09 PM »
Has anyone been to JJ fusion?  the sushi and presentation are out of this world.   you wont believe this but she also has terrific chinese. it is off the menu now but her sesame chicken  was the best ive had anywhere.   just ask for it and see if they say yes.

it is on 31st ave by 37th street.

iLoveCheese

Japanese Cuisine
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »
JJ's is fabulous!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life