relax

Author Topic: Armenian Genocide  (Read 5463 times)

zeno

Armenian Genocide
« on: September 01, 2005, 06:02:39 PM »

Big Brother

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 06:06:22 PM »
We have always been at war with EastAsia.

B.B.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 06:37:08 PM »
I didn't know that Armenia was considered East Asia.  I thought it was the Near East.

:?:

Quote from: Big Brother
We have always been at war with EastAsia.

B.B.

KilDaraSidhe

hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »
I didn't know it either.  I know Indians are considered South Pacific Asians. I did work for a guy once who was armenian. He was very racisit against every one else religion, country, race except his. He always bashed everyone and said very racist remarks. I ended up quitting one day because I could not take it by screaming at him if his own country was so much better then ours and the people and religion was so much better then go back to wear you came from and stop complaining about being here. It was a very stressfull work environment.

zeno

Armenian Genocide
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »
Armenia is not technically considered EastAsia. That comes from a work of fiction, 1984, by George Orwell, specifically. Someone is mixing fact with fiction here and I don't really know why. All that I can say with surety is that there was an Armenian Genocide. Please read the links.

zeno.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:33:37 PM »
Quote from: zeno
All that I can say with surety is that there was an Armenian Genocide. Please read the links.

zeno.

Yep.  1917.  Over a million Armenians slaughtered.  Beyond horrible.

zeno

YeP*puch, that's what it wuzZ..
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:56:06 PM »

zeno

Geno-cide or...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 10:22:47 PM »
The amelioration (or attemted extinction/elimination) of a race of people.

I think that concerned people should get together and discuss this Topic. Let's get some time to digest the Hurricane first however (if nobody minds).

Things that we can discuss:

1) We can start out by discussing the figure personalities who were involved. Although we already really know that there was never a case where one (1) man or woman was responsible.
Here are some suggestions; we can make a game out of it :-) :

a.) A is for Adolf Hitler or Alexander the Great, if you prefer

b.) B is for Breznev or was it unintentional? http://www.faminegenocide.com/resources/bilinsky.html

c.) C is for Columbus (Christopher) really a nice guy but maybe indirectly responsible. Or better yet C is for Cortez, now there was a man who believed in slaughter! A man after my own Republican heart...just kidding.

g.) G is for Ghenghis Khan.

s.) S. is for Stalin (Josef)...still hated and feared to this day.

how about events

A (as we now  know) is for Armenia or Auschwitz
C is for Chernobyl (whoops, sorry, that was a mistake)
B is for Bosnia or Brookhaven Labs, *whoops, sorry again  lol)
D is for Dresden or Darfur
L is for London
N is for Nagasaki or Nanking http://www.biblio.com/books/37594828.html
H is for Hiroshima
I is for Iraq or Inquisition.
P is for pogrom (happening everywhere in the past and maybe the future)
R is for Rwanda (great movie btw)
S is for Salem (small but still a select breed of people)

O.K. I'm tired.  Why don't you take over.

:-) G'night,
Zweno.

blueeyes

Armenian Genocide
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 11:21:54 PM »
three to add:

Q is for Queensland
S is (also) for South West Africa
M is for Mississippi -- leading the South in lynchings per annum for nearly half of a century

blueeyes

Armenian Genocide
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
and my regards for including Salem... it is all-too-often glossed over or omitted altogether

Offline LHT

• Mayor
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »
Here's a very well done piece on the Armenian Genocide of 1915 -

http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html

zeno

Armenian Genocide
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:21 PM »
Thank you LHT, your link has been invaluable.
For those who have access to HBO on demand I recommend "Children of Breslan". An analysis of a a siege on a school as told by the children who were there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
War is Peace. Peace is War.

"There is something true in vengeance",

zero.

Offline LHT

• Mayor
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 09:56:57 AM »
Glad you appreciated the honesty in it.  Rarely is a piece done with artistic quality that can truly portray the events.  If you're interested in the impact of the Armenian genocide on 1st and 2nd generation diaspora in America, check out Peter Balakian's book Black Dog of Fate.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 10:17:43 AM »
Quote from: LHT
If you're interested in the impact of the Armenian genocide on 1st and 2nd generation diaspora in America, check out Peter Balakian's book Black Dog of Fate.

This is the book I read where first I learned about the Armenian Genocide.  I don't know why it wasn't taught in school.

Offline LHT

• Mayor
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 10:25:04 AM »
Because the American govt doesn't recognize the Armenian Genocide for what it truly is, that's why it's stricken from standard curriculum in schools.  A few years back during the Clinton administration it was almost officially recognized, but yet again this country was too afraid and caved to the pressure of the Turks so it was not approved.  Other countries don't have this fear of the Turks problem - France and Germany have recognized it officially as true genocide, and others have followed suit or have legislation in place to be reviewed.  There is a possiblility that it will be approved in America soon, since full recognition of the Armenian Genocide by Turkey is one of the issues holding up their acceptance into the European Union.

Offline LHT

• Mayor
Armenian Genocide
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 11:21:47 AM »
More info...  

Not sure if you're familiar with the band System of a Down, but not only are they a great band, they're a group of Armenian guys who strongly support Genocide recognition efforts and other Armenian political issues - see below for info on a local campaign to support American recognition - and at the end is info on Peter Balakian's newest book 'Burning Tigris'.  

Multi-Platinum Rock Band System of a Down Ask House Speaker Dennis Hastert to 'Do the Right Thing' in Support of Armenian Genocide Legislation

-- Los Angeles, CA - September 23, 2005 – System of a Down, one of rock's most daring and innovative bands, have just announced that they – along with their fans, the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA; www.anca.org), Axis of Justice (www.axisofjustice.org) and the Armenian Youth Federation (www.ayf.org) – will visit the Batavia office of Rep. Dennis Hastert on Tuesday, September 27 (Noon) to ask Speaker Hastert to ‘do the right thing’ and keep his commitment to hold a vote on the pending Armenian Genocide legislation.  If passed, the legislation will officially recognize Turkey’s destruction of 1.5 million Armenians between 1915 and 1923.   The band have invited their fans to join with them in this effort by attending the rally and have set up a system by which fans can directly email Speaker Hastert on the issue.

System of a Down’s four band members - Serj Tankian, Daron Malakian, Shavo Odadjian and John Dolmayan – are of Armenian descent and have made awareness of the genocide, and genocide around the world, a central message of the band. All have lost family members to the Armenian Genocide.

"Dennis do the right thing" stated Serj Tankian, “I just visited my 97 year old grandfather, my only link to the far past, and promised him that I would go and try to talk to Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House, and make sure that he takes this opportunity to bring up the Armenian Genocide Resolution to the floor of the House of Representatives. This is a personal issue to me and System.”

The System of a Down/ANCA rally will take place at the offices of Rep. Dennis Hastert - 27 North River Street, Batavia, Illinois (about an hour from downtown Chicago).  The rally is scheduled for 12Noon-2:00 PM on Tuesday, September 27.  The Armenian community, activists, and the band’s fans from across the greater Chicago area are expected to attend the rally.

Members of System of a Down and Aram Suren Hamparian, Executive Director of ANCA, are available to discuss the rally and pending legislation on Tuesday, 9/27 and Friday, 9/30, the day of their concert at Chicago’s Allstate Arena.   more. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Balakian’s 'Burning Tigris'  Wins 2005 Raphael Lemkin Prize

New York, NY -- Peter Balakian’s The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America’s Response has been awarded the 2005 Raphael Lemkin Prize for the best scholarly book in the preceding two years on the subject of genocide, mass killings, gross human rights violations, and the prevention of such crimes.  The award is given by the Institute for the Study of Genocide at John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY Graduate Center in New York City. The prize comes with a cash award and commemorates Raphael Lemkin, the legal scholar who pioneered the international legal concept of genocide. Helen  Fein, Chair of the prize committee called The Burning  Tigris “a book of enduring scholarly value and of important contemporary meaning.”  Previous winners include Samantha Power’s A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide (winner of the Pulitzer Prize), and Alison Des Forges Leave None To Tell The  Story: Genocide In Rwanda.

"We extend our congratulations to Peter on this well-deserved honor," said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the ANCA.  "In the spirit of Raphael Lemkin, Peter has truly contributed greatly to the field of genocide studies - raising unprecedented public awareness about the crime of genocide, warning of the dangers of its denial, and explaining - in clear and forceful terms - the moral imperative of its prevention."

zeno

Thanks LHT
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 07:46:23 AM »
Thanks again LHT for your very informative post. I'm going to track down the books and resources that you mention as soon as possible. I have still never been to the Holocaust museum in New York:

http://www.mjhnyc.org/museum_.htm

, but will seek to relieve my ignorance. Something that struck me was the phrase:
warning of the dangers of its denial,

I wonder what these dangers could be and where the United States of America stands in relation to this today, where our insitutions of learning can fall into this trap. Would it be true to say that the United States already has a history of genocide? If so, then is it true that we may have our own brand of revisionists? If it is not generally accepted that we have historically perpetrated the most heinous of crimes against humanity when if fact we have, then that must mean that the people re-writing history must be in power now. I'm not talking about the Executive level here, I am talking about the power held within every facet of our society, right down to the private citizen level. Or, maybe this is not malice or insensitivity at all, but rather a form of Freudian forgetfulness.

-Zero.

zeno

@blueeyes
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 01:58:49 PM »
Blueyes,

I just thought of another.

"W" - Is for War and "Dub'ya" Bush

-z "too intense"

zeno

RWANDA
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 11:06:49 PM »
Want to talk more on this subject.

What is present status of Darfur?
---------------------------------------
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rw.html
http://www.darfurinfo.org/
http://www.darfurgenocide.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict
----------------------------------------
How can we help?

Can we help?

And if we can, Will
We help?

Talking about the filming of a massacre (about half a mile from the Hotel)
"If people see this footage, they'll say Oh my God that's horrible and go on eating their dinners."-Journalist in Hotel Rwanda

What are the plans of WTO, World Bank http://www.worldbank.org/ , IMF,
Amnesty Internation, Red Cross, UNICEF, UN, CIA, EU, The Project for the New American Century http://www.newamericancentury.org/ , Democratic Campaigns... anything?
------------------------------------------
Also am orgaizing a trip to the Holocaust Museum in New York City this Winter.
Want to get more involved in the unsilencing of the Armenian Genocide in our schools and universities.
Am thinking about making a large email list.

-zen o

zeno

More Alphbets
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 11:14:30 PM »
P is for Picts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts [Genocide suspected]

[to be continued...]

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life