relax

Author Topic: Vanished Astoria  (Read 124938 times)

Offline Bckay1

• Tourist
Re: Vanished Astoria
« Reply #345 on: February 08, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
I grew up in Astoria too at 28-40 34 th Street. I went to PS 5, JHS 126 and Bryant High School
And would like to find others. I now live in Tucson Arizona.

Offline Bckay1

• Tourist
« Reply #346 on: February 08, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Hi. I grew up at 28-40 34 th Street. I went to PS5, JHS 126 and Bryant High School.
I would like to reconnect with anyone from there.

Offline AncientAstoria

• Tourist
    • Ancient Astoria
« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:57 PM »
Great thread here! I enjoy reading all the stories and memories!
I have been in Astoria my whole life, Almost 30 years and have seen it transform completely!
I began a photo and research project titled Ancient Astoria, after seeing my corner deli close after 30 years of service  :embarrassed:

Please feel free to visit and share any photos or stories!

Instagram.com/AncientAstoria

Facebook.com/AncientAstoria
Instagram.com/AncientAstoria
Facebook.com/AncientAstoria

Offline NeedleinHaystack

• Tourist
« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
When I was growing up in Astoria during the 1960s, my mom would take me to an ice cream parlor called Jacobi's near Immaculate Conception Church and when my dad was off from work he'd take me to one called Mehlhop's between 33rd and 35th Streets on Ditmars Blvd.  Apparently my mom's crowd from 21st Road used to hang out at Jacobi's when she was kid, so she kept going there with me after she was married.  In my dad's case, he grew up right near Mehlhop's, so that was his favorite place.  Jacobi's was gone by the time I was in high school but Mehlhop's, under a different name (which I've forgotten), lasted into the 70s.

Hi, do you have any more info about Jacobi's store?
The reason I ask is that I joined Ancenstry and met a 2nd cousin.  I asked about my dad's side of the family, since I have not had much contact with them in decades.  My 2nd cousin advised me that  "My great grandfather Rudolph (Rudy)Jacobi ran a candy store in Astoria, Queens, called, ironically, Jacobi's. His wife's name was Alma (Tummel)."
[/size]Any info you have would be interesting to know.[/color]
Thanks,
Jeremy Rossi

Offline oggie

• Resident
« Reply #349 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »
I grew up in Astoria went to PS 5 on 29th Street and 30th and she called me I was on 30th Avenue between 29th and 30th Street I believe the story when I was in the third grade I ate and Jacoby third grade to the fifth grade and went to PS4 it was another ice cream parlor on 30th Avenue between 36 and 37th street called Rudy's there was also one on 34th Street and 30th Avenue I can't remember the name

Offline Wrestler55

• Tourist
« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2016, 06:14:18 AM »
I GREW UP AT 43 RD STREET AND 34 TH AVENUE,IWENT TO PS 70

Offline judy

• Tourist
« Reply #351 on: December 01, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
Who knows about PS 6?!

I just googled "PS 6, Steinway Street, Queens"
because when my son (26) visited NYC in 2002, he said there was no such thing.

I just learned that

NYCMacUser, President
Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Vanished Astoria, Reply #98 on: July 01, 2008, 03:42:07 PM

wrote that there was a PS 6 on Steinway Street:

"On Steinway Street, where the Municipal Parking lot is located, there used to be a school. PS 6.
This was one of those really old buildings and the school went from Kindergarten to 6th grade.
From there you went to your local feeder Junior High School which had grades 7, 8 and 9,..."

I lived at 3407 East 31 Avenue Queens, a 7 min walk, 0.4 mile.

I write to see what else you know about PS 6 where I went to first grade in 1950!

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
I recall PS6 on Steinway. I believe they tore it down around 1970.

The PS 5 on 29th Street burned down in the late 1960s, maybe 1968. I heard it was started by a student playing matches in a cloak room.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
Here's a photo of P.S. 6 from the Greater Astoria Historical Society photo gallery:

https://astoriahistory.smugmug.com/keyword/steinway%20street/i-hqrDP7T/A

and from the 38th street side:
https://astoriahistory.smugmug.com/search#q=public+school+6

Offline judy

• Tourist
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Great posts!

Who do we know that went to PS 6?  Remember the gym?

I remember a commons area or gymnasium, with tall vaulted arches, where we all stood in a circle and sang songs, 1950, first grade. (I cried because I didn't know the "Howdy Doody" song because we didn't have a TV.  TMI)

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »

I just learned that

NYCMacUser, President
Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Vanished Astoria, Reply #98 on: July 01, 2008, 03:42:07 PM

wrote that there was a PS 6 on Steinway Street:

"On Steinway Street, where the Municipal Parking lot is located, there used to be a school. PS 6.
This was one of those really old buildings and the school went from Kindergarten to 6th grade.
From there you went to your local feeder Junior High School which had grades 7, 8 and 9,..."

I write to see what else you know about PS 6 where I went to first grade in 1950!

Hi, Judy.  I don't have any information about your school, but I thought since you're new you might not know that NYCMacUser passed away a few years ago.  Letting you know so you don't wait for a reply from her.  Other people on this site would remember the time & place of your interest, so give them time and I'm sure they'll come along to share your memories.

Offline judy

• Tourist
« Reply #356 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
Thanks so much, Starwind51

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #357 on: December 04, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
Thanks so much, Starwind51

You're welcome.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Offline Jwizmerlin

• Tourist
« Reply #358 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
Nice pictures

Have  Great new group with over 500 members on facebook..people who love old astoria queens pictures will love my group.. tried to see ur pictures but they do not seem to be there.. have people in my group asking about pictures of kiddieland that use to be on ditmars and 31 st.. if anyone has please post them or come to my group to post them the link for the group is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1673945146245118/

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »

Today (Sunday) I had brunch with friends at Thirsty Koala.  I don't think I've ever been there for brunch.  Not sure if today was typical but there was one table that appeared to be newbie hipsters in the nabe, with their kids somewhat on the loose.  Another table of six women that appeared to be from a 'mommy and me yoga' kinda crowd...all young and two of them had infants, one in one of those infant backpack things.  Seems (at least from today) that some establishments are now catering to the baby stroller crowd.  What's next...'bring your infant to The Ditty Sundays'?!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life