relax

Author Topic: Vanished Astoria  (Read 124939 times)

Offline Chris

• Mayor
Re: Vanished Astoria
« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
Where was Bobbi's Beat?  I remember two small records stores, one on Broadway just east of Steinway that went out of business in the early 1990s.  The other was on 30th Ave., also just east of Steinway that only went out of business in recent years.  I forgot what they were called.

Offline Carla99

• Citizen
« Reply #331 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
There was a record shop on Steinways St a few doors down from where Rizzo's Pizza is.  It burned down sometime in the mid 70's.  Forget the name.  I bought my first album there.  Waiting for the Sun by the Doors.

As for the QP flea market.  It was originally in one of the old factories in LIC.  It was on the waterfront a block away from the Pepsi sign.  This was in the mid seventies.  There were many factories in the area.  By the seventies most were abandoned.  Most of the streets in that area were cobblestone or just an unpaved dirt road.  If you did not know the area you would never be able to find it.  Then they moved it to Queens Plaza sometime in the late seventies.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
I remember the record store, but not the name. It had mostly electronics, but had several record bins as part of the counter.

Offline ABB

• Tourist
« Reply #333 on: June 28, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
The record store you might be referring to  was Records Spectacular.
I mentioned way,way back in this thread that I remembered the rumors that if you asked for chocolate chip cookies it was actually code for something smokable.I was too young at the time to know if it was true.

Offline TheOriginalBoo_Boo

• Tourist
« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
I was born and raised in Astoria and moved in 1986. I just found this site and am thrilled. There is little about Astoria, from that period, almost 30 years that I don't recall. I just wanted to express sadness re: Lanterna's closure. I loved this place and went back when I graduated with my Masters Degree in 1995. I also grew up on 34th and 30th avenue. :smiley:

• Tourist
« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
Oh more vanished restaurants. I feel queazy thinking about La Boccaletta, but especially The Bank, as I remember going there for dinner when my father was reposing at Quinn's Funeral Home. Odder because today would have been my dad's 94th birthday.  :sad:

• Tourist
« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
If u rember those places u must b as old as me. I went to ps5 on 29th street ate lunch at jacobes ice cream paralor. also the keystone restraunt both on 30 ave.there were two other ice cream palors on the ave Gerkins an Rudys.I went to JHS126 on 21 street an had lunch at the green shack in back of the school there was an old diner on 21st called Bills . there was a bar under the el on 31st between 31ve an bway called Jonny Jays.As akid i worked in Sauls kosher deli on 30 ave Gold bell jewlers on steinway st chow chow cup.do u rember the lowes triboro cameo bway no air condiong an strand movie theaters.ther used to be alot ov vacant lots in astoria we used to play in on 34st newtown rd .also the alleys used for the houses from 35st to38st.In the early 50 the streets of astoria were filed with kids all baby bommers . no air condioning no video games no internet.So evrey day rain or shine winter or summer we were out side playing in the street.If u r from 34 st there was akid calle Malony he did the original ring ding commercial for tv.

• Tourist
« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
I went to P.S. 5 and was a student there when it burned down. I also went to 126. Bartels on 30th ave near 30th St. had the best hamburgers, Gerkins had the best fries and homemade ice cream and I will never forget my first piece of pizza at Joe's Pizza on 30th ave between 34 -33 streets.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #338 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
Oh more vanished restaurants. I feel queazy thinking about La Boccaletta, but especially The Bank, as I remember going there for dinner when my father was reposing at Quinn's Funeral Home. Odder because today would have been my dad's 94th birthday.  :sad:

La Boccaletta and The Bank were both great, nothing compares to La Boccaletta, I only ate there once as a kid, then they closed.  As a teen I went to Bank a few times, food was great.  The Bank closed after  owner died n car accident. Aldo, real nice guy, and great for area, he was active in community issues.

Offline oggie

• Resident
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »
BO BO if u lived on 34stan 30 ave i would like to know what years. we may know a lot of the same people :cool:

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
I miss the wiz, papaya king, the old movie theater, coconuts ... genovese ... the list goes on
I feel so old yet I'm only 26 but I grew up around here and it's sad to see so many stores closing
haagen daz still closed, that puerto rican place that took over where kfc is doesn't look like it has much business

I feel the same way -- miss a lot of the old places on Steinway Street where I used to spend time when I was in high school.  Spent a lot of time in the Wiz looking for tapes and CDs later on.

Offline The Old Fox

• Citizen
« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »
This is for DogBert I used to buy comics there also. I only remember getting then from one place and this is the guy who ran it with his wife. if I did the link right it will take you to an article in the queens chronicle. He is closing his shop on skillman ave.

http://www.qchron.com/editions/western/comic-book-heaven-to-close-its-doors/article_689a100d-4487-58f5-a6f3-b8af77174b3c.html

Offline oggie

• Resident
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
Does any one remember Suies an Ernies on 34st an31ave.Or helphands drug store on 35st an31 ave :lipsrsealed:

Offline FkNutZ

• Tourist
    • facebook
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »
I am a real real old timer although not that old...the apartment i was born in my mother also lived in when she was a child at 34-33 42street. my maiden name is Ferland I am one of 4 children right on the corner from me used to me jules deli his wife name was shirley and diagonally across from that was bordens milk co. a block further down was bordens park lost a few teeth on the swings and the monkeys bars there as a kid. going towards the other way from my house now 34th ave was a dry cleaners on the corner, a hobby store around the corner on the ave. and if you cross the street going towards steinway there was a car lot dont' remember the name then king kullens on one corner later became a salvation army the wiz whcih used to be pc richards and sizzler was by the subway stairs. walking up steinway from that point on wiz side there was a pet store, then a bridal shop then a toy store Werners the owner of that stores wife was my teacher in PS 70. next to the next set of subway stairs was another werners store but that was mainly baby furniture and a dentist next to him. further down the block was a bank on the corner and diagonally across was a luncheon i used to love there cherry cokes and pretzels that was broadway and steinway. i was there when woolworths was there and when not only was the astoria theater still up but i spent many days playing hooky and sneaking in the loews. i moved out of astoria when i was 14 and now live in ozone park i still have many nieces and nephews living in astoria.
both my brother and my sister are on this site they both passed away my sister more recently. if you knew them please go and light a candle or even say a small note.
type in ferland in the search on left column
http://www.last-memories.com/search

Offline oggie

• Resident
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
I lived on 34st between 39an 31 ave , ther was apool romm upstairs on bway an steinway st , Also abowling alley in the basment later onanother pool hall aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaA lunchonet on the bway side , Father an Son shoes an Cid Diamonds pants across the street. There was also an army navy store an a daviga store :grin:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life