relax

Author Topic: What happened to Pizza Palace? :(  (Read 6274 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
What happened to Pizza Palace? :(
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:35:42 AM »
I'm talking about the one on Ditmars and 31st. What has happened to this place over the last two years? When I moved here, a slice from there was delicious, the perfect size, well-balanced and nothing fancy. Just a plain old slice of pizza that tasted good. At some point, they decided to start selling "The largest slice in New York" or something fitting that description, and I don't doubt that it might be the largest slice- but now when I get a slice from them, not only does it cost a dollar more than it did two years ago (along with all the other pizzas being much more expensive), but it's gross. The blanket of cheese has become very thick, not enough sauce, and the slice is just unreasonably large. I would rather pay less for something much smaller. Crust is still nice and light, but I barely made it through half the slice before I started to feel disgustingly full of cheese, and I wasn't tempted to save the rest.

Has anyone else had this experience with Pizza Palace? It makes me sad because I loved that place when I moved here, but I feel that the pizza has changed for the worse very quickly and it makes me not want to go there anymore.  :-(

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
Re: What happened to Pizza Palace? :(
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:41:09 AM »
Don't know what happened essen but the last time I had a decent slice at Pizza Palace I was like, 8 years old, and it cost 35 cents, just like the bus.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »
I never liked the look of the place but I tried it once over a year ago.  The crust was so thick and spongy, I was so unimpressed.  It's whole wheat but that doesn't mean I want twice as much crust.  I never went back.  Maybe it was good years ago, but for the last 2 years, it's been just another yucky ugly looking fast food joint.

jentastico

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »
Frankies pizza is worth the block walk.  :)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:16:42 PM »
I realize there is other tasty pizza to be had in Astoria. I'm just wondering about this particular place.

jentastico

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
Whoa.  ooooooooooook.

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
I like this place okay. It is great to take my niece as it is a kid family atmosphere. Also I like to look out on the crowd bustling around 31st and ditmars. So it seems to be decent pizza, but there are other benefits to the place. Was anyone expecting gourmet? Its a pizza place.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
jentastico, I was just saying I'm not looking for pizza recommendations in this thread. We've had several pizza recommendation threads and this isn't another one... that's all.

Alexa, I do actually like the atmosphere there. It's fun and just seems like an old pizza place (which I guess it is if the slice used to cost 35 cents. No offense, 28Grand :wink: ). This is why I'm saddened to now pretty much hate the pizza there whereas I enjoyed it two years ago.

Offline vickles

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »
I have to agree that Pizza Palace is not what it once was.  My husbund went in the other day and spend $7 on 2 slices and a soda and was VERY disappointed.  Granted they do have huge slices but who cares how big it is if it you don't want to eat the whole thing.  Although I have to say that there meatball parm still kicks ass

Offline Ratchetrn6

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »
I ate there a few months ago after not being there for years and i agree, the slice was horrible. Too big and the cheese was thick and just..eww.....  ew....   

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »
I love the whole wheat pizza.

Offline bengalsnyc

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
Ate some pizza from there once, it wasn't memorable.  However, you do have to appreciate the music the blast out of the loudspeaker that can be heard within earshot of that place.  Good stuff. :mrgreen:

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
Nearly had a heart attack when I read the subject!! Thought they closed or something.

While I agree I get that "overdose on cheese" feeling, I love their whole wheat crust. In fact, the owner knows me as "whole wheat slice" each time I walk in   :-P

I'd prefer less cheese myself, maybe they sell just the whole wheat dough?? I've heard some pizza places will do that.

But I do like it there- fewer screaming toddlers now than in the past. I like that it's spacious and bustling w/o being overcrowded or totally empty (love the slices down the block under the station steps, but it's always deserted.)
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 01:15:48 AM »
I used to love Pizza Palace.  When I was a student at PS 122 for a year during the 6th grade, every time we had a school trip someplace, it was the official last stop on the school trip.  I'd put together some money with my friends so we could afford an entire pie, or sometimes we opted to get souvlaki and some french fries with cheese.  It was junk food heaven, and things were even better with the arcades in the back.  One friend of mine was just amazing at Cruis'n USA. 

However, in later years the place just came across as expensive for me.  The slices of pizza and everything else seemed to be everywhere from 50 cents to a couple of dollars more than at comparable establishments elsewhere in the area and the food wasn't really anything special.  I haven't been there in a while so I haven't seen these new large slices, however, but the high prices turned me off to the place.  When I still lived in that neighborhood, I tended to prefer Frankie's for pizza, or sometimes I'd trek up to Alba's, or Michaelangelo's in the last few months before I moved out, when it had first opened.

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
^^  I was also a student of 122 and remember the field trips for ending up at Pizza Palace.   They must have loved that.  What year did you graduate? 

I haven't been there as an adult because I'm afraid it wouldn't live up to the fond memories. 

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life