relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 50998 times)

exastorian85

Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
I grew up in Astoria and lived on 41st Street between Ditmars and 21st Ave. I drank many a brew in the K of C.
Other bars in the area I remember were Suspenders, which used to be a place called Joe and Jacks, on 20th Av and Steinway. On Ditmars, Matty's Cafe on 32 St. On the next street was a place called Tom's, which is now a hair salon I believe, then McGivneys on 37th Street, (I worked there for awhile). On 45th and Ditmars was a place called Cheers, and another place I forget the name was on the corner of 43rd Street and 23rd Ave. That's where I had my first beer in a real bar. All this was around 1977-1987. Dooley's was also on Ditmars at 38th Street.

I just remembered the name of the topless bar you mentioned. It was called New Image. That was the mall which used to be Eintracht Oval, a pretty big soccer/football field with stands and everything. I remember the name because we used to refer to the place as "Nude Image".

I knocked down a few cold ones in the same bars.   Joe and Jacks later became Suspenders.  I also remember the Black Rock which was on Ditmars between 45th and 46st streets.  I also would go to Tootsies which was on 37st and Ditmars.

ABB

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
I like this topic

The bar with the black walls on B'way,if I'm thinking of the same one,was Caretta's.It later had an Irish name I don't remember.
Blackstones on B'way and 38th St was formerly Mary Maguires.Before that it was Chaunceys II(the original Chauncey's was in Long Beach).Before that it was Winnie's(officially Winnie the Pooh Pub).Before that it was The Green Castle,and going way,way back it was The Top Hat.
The White House was on 35th Ave. between Steinway and 41st St.
34th Ave. Inn was on 34th Ave. between 43rd and 44th Streets.Previously,it was McCormacks
Magnum Pub was also on 34th Ave. between 43rd St.and 44th St.(Not the same bar,there were two on the block).Before that it was called Hobos
Squires was on 34th Ave. and 42nd St.Years earlier there was a bar in the same location called The Graham Tavern.
J&B Lounge was on 30th Ave. between 35th and 36th Streets,
The Quays was previously The Pulpit,and bfore that,Coffey's
Scissors was on Steinway St.between 3oth and 28th Aves.(I could be a block off on this one)
The Horseshoe was on 31st Ave. and 44th St.
The Black Whale was on 31st Ave. between 34th and 35th Streets
The Yellowbird was on 35th Ave. and 35th St.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
I haven't been in the 21st Street/Steinway area in a couple of years, but there was a little tavern a block or two west of Steinway almost at the corner of 21st.   It reminded me a little of Kelly's, that gin mill that is a little closer to where I reside.   I have no idea how the place remains open, but I thought I read somewhere that it was a hangout for believe it or not Albanian gangsters?   Anyone ever been in that place or know its history? Is it even still open? It looks/looked like one of those neighborhood places that had been there for years.

Offline hellgateviking

• Activist
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »
  Not sure if anyone mentioned Walsh's on the south side of 28 Ave between 33 and 34 streets.  Also remember;
  -Gossip's on Broadway in the mid 90's, where the infamous Nubar was
  -Dempsey's on 30 Ave, about one or two storefronts next to where Fleming's is now.  I think Fleming's was Horgan's back then.  Dempsey's later became Gabby's Monkey for a while.  It had a pretty funky jungle design in it.
  -While on the subject of interesting decor, I remember a place on Steinway Street, just north of 30 Ave, that had an interesting African tribal motif, both outside and inside.  I am pretty sure it was where the Tone Lounge is now.
  -There was an old man bar on Steinway Street, between 34th and 35th Avenue, I think where the Latin Cabana place is now.  I forget the original name, but it became Wolfetones for a short while in the 90's, before it closed.
  -Speaking of the 90's, there was a place called 90's on Steinway Street, where El Forum is now, just south of 34th Avenue.  The 90's used to be in Sunnyside, on Queens Blvd and 46 Street if I remember correctly, and they relocated after the original spot was destroyed in a fire.
  I will try to remember a few more....

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
    -There was an old man bar on Steinway Street, between 34th and 35th Avenue, I think where the Latin Cabana place is now.  I forget the original name, but it became Wolfetones for a short while in the 90's, before it closed.
  - 

I do remember this place, though I never went in it.   I don't think it was open late, but I could be wrong about that.   At the very end -- before it closed -- I think they might have tried adding a music policy, which, obviously, didn't take.

Offline The Old Fox

• Citizen
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
Viking,the bar on stienway with the decor was called the bamboo hut .Trying to remember what it was called before that. I Remember they used to get the pay per view fights on their tv. It would be packed for the fight and empty five minutes after fights were over.

Offline c130guy

• Tourist
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »
Viking,the bar on stienway with the decor was called the bamboo hut .Trying to remember what it was called before that. I Remember they used to get the pay per view fights on their tv. It would be packed for the fight and empty five minutes after fights were over.

Vinny's Bamboo Hut?  Right across the street from the old Astoria movie theater?

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:45 PM »
Matty's  where  that  'Greek' bar is now on the same block as  'Mezzo-Mezzo' on Ditmars. Billy's , where  Fatty's  is now on Ditmars. Two of the last 'fun' places, gone. No Partners  was OK for  a while toll they stopped  selling 'draft' on 21Ave. Muzzy's  is till there, but, runs more  like  a 'biker'  bar.

Offline sorabji

• Activist
    • http://www.sorabji.com
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2008, 08:46:04 PM »
The place now called Broadway Sports Bar (B'way near Crescent) used to be called Dillon's. Before that it was called The Spinning Wheel.

I had long understood that before it was called The Spinning Wheel it was called The Empire, but a friend who has lived here longer than I've been alive says that before it was The Spinning Wheel that place was actually called The Colonial, and it had been called The Colonial for over 30 years.

Does anyone here know if the bar at that location used to be called The Empire or The Colonial? Both? Neither?

ABB

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
Vinny's Bamboo Hut?  Right across the street from the old Astoria movie theater?

My memory is a little fuzzy on this one,but I think that's the bar that became Scissors.

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2008, 08:39:02 PM »
I haven't been in the 21st Street/Steinway area in a couple of years, but there was a little tavern a block or two west of Steinway almost at the corner of 21st.   It reminded me a little of Kelly's, that gin mill that is a little closer to where I reside.   I have no idea how the place remains open, but I thought I read somewhere that it was a hangout for believe it or not Albanian gangsters?   Anyone ever been in that place or know its history? Is it even still open? It looks/looked like one of those neighborhood places that had been there for years.

There is a bar on 28th or 29th street between 21st and either 19th or 20th avenue named Gussy's.  It is around the corner from No Partners.  if that is the place you are referring to it used to be a biker bar.  I haven't been over there in about three years so I am not sure what kind of crowd hangs there now.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »
There is a bar on 28th or 29th street between 21st and either 19th or 20th avenue named Gussy's.  It is around the corner from No Partners.  if that is the place you are referring to it used to be a biker bar.  I haven't been over there in about three years so I am not sure what kind of crowd hangs there now.

I think this is the place.   It might be the place where the Albanians now hang.

ABB

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
Gussy's used to be The Cork and Bottle

Offline sorabji

• Activist
    • http://www.sorabji.com
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »

I think Gussy's is more of a NYPD/FDNY/Irish place. I've never been in but that's what I've heard, and the FDNY letters in the window would suggest as much. It's on 29th Street near 20th Avenue.

-mt

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
maybe alot of Astorians will remember Sunny's Tavern on the corner of 46th Street and 28th Avenue and Sal's Dug-Out between 45th Street & 46th Street & 28th Avenue  :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life