relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 51451 times)

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
And one other bar/restaurant I did go to is on Broadway & 38th Street on the same block and Phelan  & Cronin.   It is still open, but has changed names and I assume owners since I moved to Astoria.   It might have been affiliated with another bar on Long Island.  I can't remember the old name and I can't remember the new name even though I walk by all the time.

i remember that bar , it used to be called chaunceys II ( i had a crush on one of the bartendresses there  :smitten: ), then it became Mary Mcguiers, then someting else, then /now it is called blackstones.
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline hellgateviking

• Activist
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
Chris,
  Cronins reported that they were going to close for a few days for some renovations.  They should be open again by the weekend.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
Our apartment on 30th Ave. was right next door to Terry's Bar. Always filled with neighborhood
regulars - mostly our dads! - it was the place everyone went on Sunday afternoons to watch a
game or just relax. I remember when the Mister Softee truck came around, all of us kids would
run into Terry's and ask for ice cream money - which we always got.

Also, the Backstreet Bar that used to be on the corner of 30th St. & 30th Ave. - where Tradefair's
parking lot is now. Dark inside, always gave the impression of being cool and sophisticated - at least
to a teen.

I miss those places.....

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
What is the deal with Gibney's changing to Gilbey's?

When I was little Gilbey's was 'The Clover'. My parents' friends (and sister's godparents) owned it and we went every year on paddy's day before heading on the N to the city for the parade.

I remember Gilbey's/Gibney's when it was "The Clover"!   I lived near there and went in there once after a Met game on a weeknight back in the late 1980s.   It was the only time I set foot in there.  In the late 1990s they renovated and changed the name and I went in there for a couple of times.

The Spinning Wheel was there for what seemed like an eternity.  I would always see the old guys drinking there at 8 AM when I was on my way to work.  Then it closed and reopened a little while after as Dillon's.  I think they were trying to attract an upscale crowd by renovating, but the idea failed miserably, as Dillon's closed not too long after it opened.  HEre's a picture of the Spinning Wheel:

I remember when the Spinning Wheel opened.  Whatever had been there before had closed.   I think it had been another bar or a seafood restaurant maybe and was definitely closed when I moved to Astoria late in '87.   Shortly after it opened as the SW, but I never stepped foot in the place.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
I'm personally delighted that NuBar/Ultra (Broadway between 33rd and 34th Streets) now belongs on this list!   :mrgreen:

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
I'm personally delighted that NuBar/Ultra (Broadway between 33rd and 34th Streets) now belongs on this list!   :mrgreen:

Was this the one that was the Irish place and before that the one with the inside painted black.  The Irish place/black interior place was on the south side of Broadway.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
It was.

Now it's going to be Gleason's - a tavern of sorts with karaoke from what I understand.  Looks like they are fixing it up (and hopefully soundproofing, something NuBar/Ultra NEVER did, at least not successfully).  I'm hopeful they won't stay open and blast loud music until 5 a.m.

Offline NYCprincess

• Citizen
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
Does anyone remember Cagney's on Steinway?  That place was like Cheers for my friends.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
I remember there used to be a place that was more of a restaurant than a bar, but it did have a bar called I think "Nickelodeon" and it was on Steinway diagonally across the street from the old theater @ 30th Ave. & Steinway.   It was a nice to play to go to grab a drink before or after a movie. 

I know "Nickelodeon" is long gone and I can't off the top of my head remember what is there now, though it might be another restaurant.

Offline kathyjean

• Council Member
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Now a social club, on Ditmars, between 45th and 46th streets. It was The Black Rock Bar.

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »
Does anyone remember Cagney's on Steinway?  That place was like Cheers for my friends.

man i used to love Cagney's,and Nickelodeon's, now The Zone 
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
anyone remeber Side Street ? off Ditmars and 24th st i think.............its old school, real Astorians prob know it
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

exastorian85

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »
Does anyone remember the Astoria Park Tavern across from the park?  It had a pool table, bad jukebox and 25 cent beers!  Joe Kelly introduced me to my first Jack and Coke. May he RIP.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Does anyone remember the Astoria Park Tavern across from the park?  It had a pool table, bad jukebox and 25 cent beers!  Joe Kelly introduced me to my first Jack and Coke. May he RIP.

Was this one on the corner of Ditmars and the street that runs along the eastern edge of the park?   I think there is a restaurant/tavernia that has been there for a while.   There has been a restaurant at that spot since I can remember, which goes back to 1989 when I started running around the park.   I think restaurants have come and gone at that spot, but as soon as one closes, another opens.   I have never been to any of them, but it looks to be an inviting spot.

There used to be another bar on the northern (or Con Ed plant side) of Ditmars, just west of 21st.   Is that one still open?

Offline c130guy

• Tourist
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:53 AM »
I grew up in Astoria and lived on 41st Street between Ditmars and 21st Ave. I drank many a brew in the K of C.
Other bars in the area I remember were Suspenders, which used to be a place called Joe and Jacks, on 20th Av and Steinway. On Ditmars, Matty's Cafe on 32 St. On the next street was a place called Tom's, which is now a hair salon I believe, then McGivneys on 37th Street, (I worked there for awhile). On 45th and Ditmars was a place called Cheers, and another place I forget the name was on the corner of 43rd Street and 23rd Ave. That's where I had my first beer in a real bar. All this was around 1977-1987. Dooley's was also on Ditmars at 38th Street.

I just remembered the name of the topless bar you mentioned. It was called New Image. That was the mall which used to be Eintracht Oval, a pretty big soccer/football field with stands and everything. I remember the name because we used to refer to the place as "Nude Image".

Corner of 43rd Street and 23rd Ave was Patterson's.  It was called George's later on.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life