relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 39950 times)

Offline Chris

• Mayor
Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 09:01:19 PM »
I forgot all about this place, but when I moved to Astoria there was a bar way down on the northeast corner of Steinway and 19th Street (the last east/west street) called Suspenders.   I never went in there, but there was also a bar called Suspenders on the East Side of Manhattan, maybe Second Avenue & 40th Street.    Before I moved to NYC in '82 someone had recommended the East Side Suspenders and I used to go there frequently in the 80's when I lived in Manhattan.   It was  big firefighters' hangout.   I have no idea if the Manhattan Suspenders is still there, but the Astoria Suspenders (I am pretty sure the owner of the two Suspenders was the same) changed the name to something else a number of years ago.   Last time I was by that corner the bar was still there, but I forget what it was called.

And I remember somewhere on Broadway in the 40's was a little bar on the north side of the street.   It was called "The Admiral's Club" or had some sort of nautical name or navy name.   I never went in the place and wonder if it is still there.

And one other bar/restaurant I did go to is on Broadway & 38th Street on the same block and Phelan  & Cronin.   It is still open, but has changed names and I assume owners since I moved to Astoria.   It might have been affiliated with another bar on Long Island.  I can't remember the old name and I can't remember the new name even though I walk by all the time.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 09:37:52 PM »

And I remember somewhere on Broadway in the 40's was a little bar on the north side of the street.   It was called "The Admiral's Club" or had some sort of nautical name or navy name.   I never went in the place and wonder if it is still there.

Yup, the Admiral's Club is still there.  I live a couple of blocks down from it.  It seems like an old school, no frills, Queens neighborhood bar, although I've never been inside.

Offline Ratchetrn6

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 06:55:13 AM »
oh  man, Flemmings, i can't believe i forgot about Flemmings. On Steinway where all the Egyptian places are now. I remember back in the early 90's i went to see the for rent apartment above Flemmings. Written in pencil on the wall near the phone said "Noise Complaints" and a telephone number. I can't imagine how it must have been to live about that bar.

Going back to the 80's, there was a local favorite hang out of my uncle called Anna's, it was on 24th ave between 23rd and 24th Street. Where Go Out NY is now...

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 07:41:28 AM »
Here i go showing my age, but Doyles' on 42nd and Broadway used to be called Roseanne's.  Mary Maguire's used to be Chaunceys and prior to it being Chauncey's it used to be called the Winnie the Pooh Pub.   Right on 37th street and Broadway where the fruit stand is used to be Flemings.  Down Steinway Street, where the Italian social club and the Egyptian Club are located on 25th Avenue & Steinway Street used to be a bar called Abbey Road. 

Pooh bar! that was one fun place.

There was also a bar on 37th and Ditmars, McGivney's or Givneys (sp.)? where Alba's pizza is now. 

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »
Right on 37th street and Broadway where the fruit stand is used to be Flemings.   

Flemings must have been gone by the time I got to Astoria in November '87 because that fruit stand was there when I arrived. 

Yup, the Admiral's Club is still there.  I live a couple of blocks down from it.  It seems like an old school, no frills, Queens neighborhood bar, although I've never been inside.

Someday I have to go into this place.   I haven't even walked or driven by in years and am surprised it is still there.  These bars, which continue to close, are a reflection of blue collar, working class Astoria.   What a name for a bar:  "The Admiral's Club."   For some reason it resonates with me.   

babahr

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
Tupelo had an amazing jukebox.

Tsolias was a bit sketchy. Bartendresses in hoochie-mama dresses coaxing tips out of delusional men.

Isn't there an "old man" bar somewhere still named Flemmings?

Offline ellieworm

• Senator
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 12:17:21 AM »
Anybody old enough to remember Gus' Tavern on 30th Ave. where Ellinikis Fruit Market is now? The big neon sign read "Gus' Tavern, Restaurant, Bar". Then the ice age came..................

Offline redmackadocious

• Resident Visa
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »
Mary Maguire's is no  more. I walked past this weekend and it's now the Blackstone. The awning is gone. The menu is the same. I wonder if the otb or whatever is still upstairs.
I think it was just a name change though.
wonder if their story will be as lame as gibney's/gilbey's

What is the deal with Gibney's changing to Gilbey's?

When I was little Gilbey's was 'The Clover'. My parents' friends (and sister's godparents) owned it and we went every year on paddy's day before heading on the N to the city for the parade.
That's my headshot up there next to the pepper steak, and don't you forget it.

Online RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 11:25:24 AM »
Pooh bar! that was one fun place.

There was also a bar on 37th and Ditmars, McGivney's or Givneys (sp.)? where Alba's pizza is now. 

Wasn't that Tootsie's? Which then moved to 23rd and Steinway. then there was Dooley's (?) where the flower shop is now located next to Farenga's FH. funny story about that place. When I first moved into the area (1984!!, yikes), I was checking the local bar scene and did the Suspenders (which was a firemans bar that was geared to the Islanders-no thanks), O'Hanlons, Tootsies and others to check them out. O'Hanlons was too far for a quick beer, tootsies was okay, but it seemed to be crowded all the time. I went into Dooley's and found one of the typical "old man bars"- perfect. Cheap, quiet, dark and usually had a game on. I ordered my G&T and sat at the bar. I finished and ordered another. The Barman came over- took my glass, put 2 new cubes in, mixed the drink and put it down in front of me. then proceded to pick up the stirrer that was on the bar and stirred it and dropped it into the glass.  :-o Okay then,... I'll be drinkin beer next time.

Offline The Mayor of Ditmars

• Citizen
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 01:27:30 PM »
Tootsies. That place always cracked me up. Can you make it any more obvious that it's a coke bar? What about the bar that was right next to the funeral parlor on Ditmars and Steinway... where the flower shop is now? I was about 16 when I had my first draft beer there AND my first lude... it was St. Patricks' Day!
Until we get total disclosure on Area 51, Roswell, and the Phoenix Lights, I will continue to urinate in the alleyway behind the Commerce Bank on 31st

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »

9) There was another bar, called "The Spinning Wheel" or the "Spinnaker" or something like that also on the south side of Broadway near Crescent.   When I moved into Astoria the place was closed, but reopened shortly after.    It has since gone out of business.

The Spinning Wheel was there for what seemed like an eternity.  I would always see the old guys drinking there at 8 AM when I was on my way to work.  Then it closed and reopened a little while after as Dillon's.  I think they were trying to attract an upscale crowd by renovating, but the idea failed miserably, as Dillon's closed not too long after it opened.  HEre's a picture of the Spinning Wheel:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »
I was working the late shift last night and noticed that the bar that was Mantle's (and something else before that) before it became a social club is closed.   It was on the east side of 21st Street just south of 30th Avenue.   In fact, all the businesses on the southeast corner of 21st St.  & 30th Avenue seem to be closed.

Offline The Mayor of Ditmars

• Citizen
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »
This is for TRUE Astoria heads only! Does anyone remember the topless bar that was there for about a year, in what is now Best Yet's parking lot (20th ave and 37th street) or the K of C on 20th ave and 41st?
Until we get total disclosure on Area 51, Roswell, and the Phoenix Lights, I will continue to urinate in the alleyway behind the Commerce Bank on 31st

Special Ed

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »
This is for TRUE Astoria heads only! Does anyone remember the topless bar that was there for about a year, in what is now Best Yet's parking lot (20th ave and 37th street) or the K of C on 20th ave and 41st?

I grew up in Astoria and lived on 41st Street between Ditmars and 21st Ave. I drank many a brew in the K of C.
Other bars in the area I remember were Suspenders, which used to be a place called Joe and Jacks, on 20th Av and Steinway. On Ditmars, Matty's Cafe on 32 St. On the next street was a place called Tom's, which is now a hair salon I believe, then McGivneys on 37th Street, (I worked there for awhile). On 45th and Ditmars was a place called Cheers, and another place I forget the name was on the corner of 43rd Street and 23rd Ave. That's where I had my first beer in a real bar. All this was around 1977-1987. Dooley's was also on Ditmars at 38th Street.

I just remembered the name of the topless bar you mentioned. It was called New Image. That was the mall which used to be Eintracht Oval, a pretty big soccer/football field with stands and everything. I remember the name because we used to refer to the place as "Nude Image".

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
I was walking down Broadway just west of Steinway and noticed that old Astoria mainstay Cronin & Phelin was no longer open.   I don't know if they are closed for good or are renovating, but it looks like they are gone.   That place was there when I moved here back in '87.   I went in the place a couple of times, but never actually bought anything.   I remember finishing up my jog and stopping in there the night the Mets clinched a playoff berth in 1988.   Wow that was a long time ago.

These types of bars are getting fewer and fewer as Astoria continues to change, change, change.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life