relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 39897 times)

Offline hellgateviking

• Activist
Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Chris, in regard to your inquiry,
6.  Are you thinking of the old Villanova?  I believe it was called Wolfetones for a brief time in the early 90's.  When you walked in, the bar was to the right and there used to be one of those old shuffle/bowling games against the left wall.
13.  The bar you are thinking of on the corner of Queensboro Plaza sounds like the Dublin Bar.  A bit of a divey pub, but a good place to get a quick drink or two back in the day.
14.  I think the place you are referring to was called the Brazilian Circle, or something similar. It was on 41st Avenue, just north of Queensboro Plaza, and just south of the old LIC HS.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
Chris, in regard to your inquiry,
6.  Are you thinking of the old Villanova?  I believe it was called Wolfetones for a brief time in the early 90's.  When you walked in, the bar was to the right and there used to be one of those old shuffle/bowling games against the left wall.

Sounds about right. I don't remember even seeing a name on it. There wasn't an awning or any kind of sign.  Just a door and then a window and that is about it. I just remember when I moved to a very different Astoria in '87 there was a bar on the West Side of Steinway between I believe 34th & 35th Streets. It wasn't that disco/nightclub on the corner of Steinway & 35th St., which was a nightclub ever since I've been in Astoria. The bar I referred to, which most certainly was the Villanova, was mid block. It was kind of a low-key, blue collar place. It might have changed names before it closed because I remember walking by one day and being surprised to see a sign advertising music in the place.

13.  The bar you are thinking of on the corner of Queensboro Plaza sounds like the Dublin Bar.  A bit of a divey pub, but a good place to get a quick drink or two back in the day.

I do remember that place.  First the bar closed and was replaced by a convenience store/news stand and then they knocked the whole building down. It is now I believe an empty lot. It was located right near the entrance to the stairs that lead to the N train. I remember if they worked on the stretch of the N line between QB Plaza & Ditmars, you'd wait for the buses right in front of the place.

I never set in foot there, but imagine it did good business after work when Eagle Manufacturing had a big presence in LIC and the workers would stop in there to knock back a couple before heading home. Whenever I walked by, it wasn't very busy & QBP was a bit sinister in the 80s & 90s during the "Bladerunner Years" in NYC.

I am probably wrong about this, but was there ever another bar besides the Dublin on that stretch of the plaza.  For some reason -- and my memory may be playing tricks on me -- I thought there were two bars there
[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
14.  I think the place you are referring to was called the Brazilian Circle, or something similar. It was on 41st Avenue, just north of Queensboro Plaza, and just south of the old LIC HS.[/size]

I do remember seeing that Brazilian Circle bar from the subway and the train made the the turn away from QB Plaza. I only saw it from the subway. I never got out to investigate. I was never sure what it was other than it was some kind of bar. You could see the sign.[/size]

Offline paulgervais

• Tourist
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
Our apartment on 30th Ave. was right next door to Terry's Bar. Always filled with neighborhood
regulars - mostly our dads! - it was the place everyone went on Sunday afternoons to watch a
game or just relax. I remember when the Mister Softee truck came around, all of us kids would
run into Terry's and ask for ice cream money - which we always got.

Also, the Backstreet Bar that used to be on the corner of 30th St. & 30th Ave. - where Tradefair's
parking lot is now. Dark inside, always gave the impression of being cool and sophisticated - at least
to a teen.

I miss those places.....

Hi

Just wondering about the location of Terry's bar. Do you remember where it was and when it closed down?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life