relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 39951 times)

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:23 AM »
Does anyone remember the bar that used to be on the corner of 31st Street and 36th Avenue?  Food World took it over a few years back and the block was never the same.  I remember the bartenders were great, the drinks were cheap and it was really a neighborhood chill spot, for better or for worse.  One of the regulars was a guy who sang Italian operas and Brat Pack tunes at the bar. 

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 11:06:42 AM »
Does anyone remember the bar that used to be on the corner of 31st Street and 36th Avenue?  Food World took it over a few years back and the block was never the same.  I remember the bartenders were great, the drinks were cheap and it was really a neighborhood chill spot, for better or for worse.  One of the regulars was a guy who sang Italian operas and Brat Pack tunes at the bar. 

I remember it well, though can't say I ever went in there.    There are a couple of other bars on 36th Avenue west of 31st that are still there.  One, between 31st and 32nd now caters to Hispanics.   The other, which still maintains a white ethnic clientele and looks like it hasn't updated its decor since 1947 (which gives it a certain charm) is between 36th & 37th.  I've never been in either.

If you notice, or at least I've noticed, there were numerous bars located around the subway stops.   This is no doubt due to the working class nature of Astoria.   Back in the day the blue collar men no doubt would stop by after work for a pop or two before heading home.   For anyone who has ever done physical labor all day you know how refreshing a cold beer at the end of the day is.

As the demographics of Astoria has changed, more and more of those bars are closing like the one adjacent to the supermarket.    I don't go to that part of Astoria often but one day I walked by and the bar was gone.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
I remember it well, though can't say I ever went in there.    There are a couple of other bars on 36th Avenue west of 31st that are still there.  One, between 31st and 32nd now caters to Hispanics.   The other, which still maintains a white ethnic clientele and looks like it hasn't updated its decor since 1947 (which gives it a certain charm) is between 36th & 37th.  I've never been in either.

I've been in both as I was the 36th Avenue Lush.  The Hispanic bar has had so many different owners that I lost track.  I liked it best when it was just a hole in the wall, primarily Columbian spot that had no pretensions and was crazy laid back.  The current management tries to hard to please and, in my opinion fails miserably.

I used to go to the other one you are referring to, but I believe it's between 34th and 35th.  It's next to the old school cafe where they filmed a scene of Glen Gary/Glen Ross.  I never became a regular, but I knew that a lot of people from the bar at one time. 

Gummo

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 02:06:56 PM »
When I was growing up there was a bar on 30th Ave and 30th St, right where the "parking lot" for Trade Fair is. It was called the Piano Bar. My buddy and I used to run errands for one of the barmaids there.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
Some cafe/bar near me has been suddenly boarded up.  I couldn't read the sign outside well, but it had something to do with alcohol.  It's on the corner of 34th Street and 28th Avenue.  Anyone got info?
When I came back from my jog I noticed the sign on the metal gate over the door says the NYC Liquor Control Board closed the place.   And, if you walk by, believe it or not there is a xerox of the complaint taped to sidewalk.   It is about 20 pages.   I flipped through it and it looks like the owner was actually arrested.   Two complaints cited were serving liquor to minors and serving after hours.   I don't think "The Elite," which is what the bar/cafe is called, will be reopening soon.

I used to go to the other one you are referring to, but I believe it's between 34th and 35th.  It's next to the old school cafe where they filmed a scene of Glen Gary/Glen Ross.  I never became a regular, but I knew that a lot of people from the bar at one time. 

I think I know what that "old school cafe" is.  I remember walking by there and they were filming a movie, but that was in recent years.   That cafe had that great old Coca Cola sign on the outside circa 1947.    I was sad to see the place close and the business that opened got rid of that antique sign.   Growing up you'd see signs like that all over the place.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »
I think I know what that "old school cafe" is.  I remember walking by there and they were filming a movie, but that was in recent years.   That cafe had that great old Coca Cola sign on the outside circa 1947.    I was sad to see the place close and the business that opened got rid of that antique sign.   Growing up you'd see signs like that all over the place.

A while back, after Glen Gary/Glen Ross, someone tried to start a cafe there.  I went there one time and got so sick that I vowed never to go back.  Shortly after, it shut down, again! 

Does anyone remember the Mexican bar, not restaurant, that was on the northeast side of 36th Avenue and 31st Street.  In the summer of 1996, there were three murders directly related to the bar.  Surprisingly enough, it stayed open with the same management and the same name for another two or three more years.  There weren't any more murders, but plenty of fights and illegal dealings going down.  They had great Mexican food, though.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 03:12:29 PM »
Does anyone remember the Mexican bar, not restaurant, that was on the northeast side of 36th Avenue and 31st Street.  In the summer of 1996, there were three murders directly related to the bar.  Surprisingly enough, it stayed open with the same management and the same name for another two or three more years.  There weren't any more murders, but plenty of fights and illegal dealings going down.  They had great Mexican food, though.

I think I remember that bar, which is now a Mexican restaurant is is right across the street from that Hispanic bar that we were writing about.   What is odd is that on 31st Street right next door or two doors down from the Mexican bar cum restaurant was a barber shop that appeared to be run by thugs.  I remember going in there in '00 and got a real bad vibe.   They had a pit bull tied up back and this place was no doubt the site of nefarious activities.   It was called "The All-stars" or something like that.  It has been closed for several years now and I wonder if those fights and illegal dealings had something to do with the "All Stars."   That place was fishy.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 03:45:17 PM »
What is odd is that on 31st Street right next door or two doors down from the Mexican bar cum restaurant was a barber shop that appeared to be run by thugs.  I remember going in there in '00 and got a real bad vibe.   They had a pit bull tied up back and this place was no doubt the site of nefarious activities.   It was called "The All-stars" or something like that.  It has been closed for several years now and I wonder if those fights and illegal dealings had something to do with the "All Stars."   That place was fishy.

LOL!  Those were my friends from the Ave!  They used to come into the bodega that I drank/worked/chilled at on the north side of 36th between 31st and 32nd St. (the world's worst pizza joint took over the bodega) and say 'hi."  I knew most of them and their parents from the days of working and hanging out in the video store on 36th Ave between 32nd and 33rd so we were cool.  I would never get my hair cut there, though!

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »
I think I remember that bar, which is now a Mexican restaurant is is right across the street from that Hispanic bar that we were writing about.   

Last I checked, which was about two weeks ago, that Mexican restaurant is now a Brazilian bar.  That basically completed the Brazilification (is that a word?) of the north side of the block!

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »
Some cafe/bar near me has been suddenly boarded up.  I couldn't read the sign outside well, but it had something to do with alcohol.  It's on the corner of 34th Street and 28th Avenue.  Anyone got info?

Well "The Elite" is back.   After being unceremoniously closed by the NYPD, it was open for business on Saturday night when I walked by.   Whatever problems they had they apparently solved.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
Mary Maguire's is no  more. I walked past this weekend and it's now the Blackstone. The awning is gone. The menu is the same. I wonder if the otb or whatever is still upstairs.
I think it was just a name change though.
wonder if their story will be as lame as gibney's/gilbey's

Offline rosey723

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
Here i go showing my age, but Doyles' on 42nd and Broadway used to be called Roseanne's.  Mary Maguire's used to be Chaunceys and prior to it being Chauncey's it used to be called the Winnie the Pooh Pub.   Right on 37th street and Broadway where the fruit stand is used to be Flemings.  Down Steinway Street, where the Italian social club and the Egyptian Club are located on 25th Avenue & Steinway Street used to be a bar called Abbey Road. 

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
Cassidy's was Bottoms Up before it was Cassidy's (we all thought it was going to be a gay bar!)

jentastico

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »
ahahah well the former owners of Cassidy's named their Rock Club "Bottoms Up" so if you were single, I'd say there was still hope!   :mrgreen:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
Thanks!  Craig would kill me though - but I do like the name!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life