relax

Author Topic: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone  (Read 39898 times)

Offline Chris

• Mayor
Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:33:05 AM »
I used to be really into bars when I was in my twenties.   Now that I'm well into my forties, I no longer go (as often), but I am amazed at all the bars that have come and gone since I moved to Astoria way back in November '87.    Let's list some of the bars that have gone.

1) On the east side of 21st Street just south of 30th Avenue there was a place called Mantle's.  It is now a private social club I believe.

2) Also on the east side 21st Street, just north of 30th Avenue, there was believe it or not a Czechoslavian bar.   It is a free standing brick building that became a used furniture store and is now an auto parts/motorcycle store.

3) On the west side of 21st Street, a two blocks or so below where Newtown and Astoria Blvd. come together, was believe it or not a disco!    It then became a bar run by a Jamaican guy and also billed itself as a clam bar.   I used to jog down 21st Street at night and run by the place and there was never anyone in there.   It is now some other kind of business, a restaurant maybe.

4) On the south side of 30th Avenue between 31st and 32nd Streets there was a "neighborhood" bar that is now a butcher shop.   You can still see the cool tin ceiling.   Pinnochio,  a restaurant on the southeast corner of 30th Ave. and 32nd St., and the butcher shop were located on the southwest corner of 31st St. and 30th Avenue and respectively moved when the building came down and the office building, now housing a bank on the ground floor, was built. 

5)  Tupelo, on 34th Avenue between 36th and 37th Streets approximately, was the last of three or four bars at the site that is now a Bravo supermarket.   If my increasingly faulty memory serves me correctly, when I moved here in '87 there was a bar on the site that went under and then it became one ethnic social club then another before going out of business until the stylish Tupelo moved in.

6)  I can't remember the name of it, but there was a bar on the west side of Steinway between Broadway and 34th Streets.   It was closer to 34th Street than Broadway and to narrow it down further it was south of the subway entrance.   I can't remember which storefront it was but there is another business there now.

7)  I believe there was a bar on the northeast corner of Crescent and 30th Avenue directly across from the hospital.   It is now a pharmacy.   I'm pretty sure it was a bar.

8)  There was a bar on the south side of Broadway between 31st and 30th Streets across the street (and on the same side of the street) from the supermarket.   It is now a nail salon.   I remember walking by and never seeing many people in there, but there was one regular I would see in there all the time who was in a wheel chair.    He quickly found a new spot because I saw him in the bar on Broadway diagonally across street.   That one is still open, albeit having undergone a renovation.

9) There was another bar, called "The Spinning Wheel" or the "Spinnaker" or something like that also on the south side of Broadway near Crescent.   When I moved into Astoria the place was closed, but reopened shortly after.    It has since gone out of business.

10) There used to be a bar on the west side of 31st Street and 36th Avenue that was part of the same building as the supermarket.   I walked by one day and the bar was gone. The supermarket expanded and took over the space.

11)  And I seem to remember an Irish Bar on the south side of 36th Avenue a block or two west of 31st Street.   I walked down that block for the first time in years and the bar was long gone, having been replaced by an Indian deli/store.

12)  When I moved into Astoria I remember going to a bar on the south side of Broadway between 33rd and 34th Streets.   Remember back then Astoria was bereft of cable TV (I didn't get mine until '92 or so) so I went to this bar to watch a sporting event and the odd thing about the bar is that it was painted all black inside.   There was a backroom with a pool table.   And they had some sort of electronic sports trivia game.  That place closed and a more upscale, and brighter, Irish bar opened in the space and was open for about a decade.   I noticed the Irish bar closed and it is now some other type of bar.   Of all the bars listed, this is the only one I ever actually went into.

13)   Maybe someone can help me out here and I'm stretching the boundaries of Astoria to include Long Island City, but were there ever two bars on the south side of Queensboro Plaza?    I remember one that had an Irish name that was right on the corner where you would pick up the bus when they were working on the N line.   It was open until fairly recently -- the last five or six years -- but last time I went by it was gone and replaced by a deli.    I could have sworn there was a second bar in that stretch, but could be imagining it.

14)   I never went in and never even walked by it, but as you made the turn on the N train either from or two Queensboro Plaza you could see a bar on the street just west of 31st Street, just north of the plaza.  It is long gone.    I'm not even sure it was a bar, but I could have sworn it was by the neon sign.

15)   This bar was closed before I stumbled across it, but two or three blocks west of the 39th Street subway station there was a corner bar.   It was closed when I walked by, but the facade was still there.   The facade is long gone and I can't even really remember where it was located.

BigBryan

Re: Astoria Bars That Are Gone, Gone, Gone
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
I remember #3 when it was the Village Tavern - really nice - bar and wine only with decent kitchen and excellent clams. Cuz and Timmy were bartenders. John was owner I believe.

#5 was originally the Studio Bar from when Paramount was there - became Yellowbird Lounge (still also had old Studio Bar sign up). Later closed.
 It then became Tupelo and part of it became Sign shop there.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:08:30 AM »
Another one I forgot about was on the north side of 34th Street, between 32nd and 33rd Streets.    The sign hanging read "Ryan's" so you thought it was an Irish bar, but it was an Italian restaurant that did not business whatsoever.   I remember eating there once or twice and no one was in there.    A guy I knew who grew up in Astoria knew the Ryan of Ryan's and stopped in there to see presumably the owner, "Buck Ryan" but learned it was an Italian restaurant.

The restaurant closed and it became a late night bar catering to Latinos and is still that today as far as I know.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:28 AM »
How could I forget this one?   It probably is the latest casualty.   The Tsolias (sic) Bar on Hoyt Avenue South, a couple of blocks west of 31st closed.   That one had been open for years and only in recent months has it closed.  I jog by there virtually every day and looked in one day and noticed it was closed.    Now a for rent sign is up. 

I never went in the place, but remember when we had the first blackout a couple of years ago -- not last summer's more recent blackout -- but the blackout that affected all of NYC?    I went for a jog that night and remember Tsolias remained open (one of the few businesses to do so).   They had set up a generator on the sidewalk and that was powering the place.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
Two more quickies.

Wasn't there a bar on the corner of 33rd Street and Astoria Blvd. (across the street from the Burger King, which was a Roy Rogers)?  The space is now the recently closed "Blue Deli?"

And wasn't there a bar in the space where Dunkin' Donuts now is on the corner of 31st & Hoyt Avenue South, hard by the Astoria Blvd. subway station?

BigBryan

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
And Billy's Pub was a bucket of blood joint where Fatty's is now

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »
Perhaps the bars have been overun by cafes?  I see a lot more people hanging out in cafes vs. bars. 

jentastico

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
The Pharmacy (30th ave and Crescent) was called "Neils" I think or something very similar.  I remember a co-worker used to go for drinks on her cigarette breaks.  Niiice.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »
Perhaps the bars have been overun by cafes?  I see a lot more people hanging out in cafes vs. bars. 

No question the demographics of the neighborhood have changed.   What the Germans and Irish did was hang in bars.   As they have died off or moved the bars closed.   The Greeks and others I guess prefer cafes to bars.

The Pharmacy (30th ave and Crescent) was called "Neils" I think or something very similar.  I remember a co-worker used to go for drinks on her cigarette breaks.  Niiice.

So my memory is correct.  I thought there was a bar on that corner.   Then one day I walked or jogged by and there was a pharmacy there.   I said to myself "wasn't there a bar on that corner."  Now your co-worker can walk down a block or so to Kelly's for her drinks/smoke.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:37 AM »
Was there ever a seedy looking bar on the south side of Astoria Boulevard just west of 21st Street?   It was a few storefronts east of Fishbein's and the bottle shop that were on the corner.    I seem to remember a sinister looking place there that didn't have windows or small slits that passed for windows.   It is long gone, but I seem to remember a bar being there, though I only walked by and never went in.  I would have been afraid to go in.

Offline Chris

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
Tsorias, the bar on Hoyt Avenue South a block or two west of 31st Street, can no longer be considered the latest bar closing.    On my corner, 28th Ave. & 34th Street, is or was until yesterday a little cafe/bar.   I just walked by and there is a police sticker on the metal gate saying "closed by order of the New York Police Department."   God only knows if it will reopen.   Kind of weird because just a couple of weeks ago on the other end of the block the Japanese place on 30th Avenue and 34th Street was closed by the NYC Health Dept, but has since reopened.

I moved into my current apartment in '01 and the now closed bar @ 34th & 28th has had four distinct iterations.   When I moved in it was a Columbian restaurant that was open for breakfast and lunch only.   Then new owners took over and it still remained a Columbia restaurant.   I never went in.

Then it had a third iteration when it was turned into a bar/restaurant by a different group of Hispanics -- Mexicans maybe -- that served dinner and remained open late into the night.   They tried everything to make a go of it, doing take-out,  changing the menu and even broadcasting pay per view boxing matches (which seemed to draw a crowd).   But no one came.   I felt bad for the owners because I saw how hard they worked to make a go of it and stopped in two or three times late in the afternoon to knock back a Heineken or two.   I had the place to myself usually.   They also were generous with their buybacks, giving you the third brew on the house.   

They finally gave up the ghost and a fourth set of owners, who weren't Hispanic, took over.   They looked like Slavic people from one of those countries that was formerly part of Yugoslavia.   They seemed to be doing better.   I would see people in there, but surprise, surprise, surprise when the patrons show up today and see the sign.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:41 AM »
Hopefully NuBar on Broadway joins this list sooner rather than later.
Caos, which was across the street is also a place of the past.

Oodus

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 10:26:26 AM »
Some cafe/bar near me has been suddenly boarded up.  I couldn't read the sign outside well, but it had something to do with alcohol.  It's on the corner of 34th Street and 28th Avenue.  Anyone got info?

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 10:41:48 AM »
Is Bungaloo on Broadway out of business or is it just under renovation?  That place used to be Amnesia.  I think.  It's always coming back as a the same bar, renovated, new name.  Reincarnation every few months/years?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 10:43:29 AM »
Bungalo is about to re-open.  Willie just did a complete renovation.  I hear it's going to look amazing.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life