relax

Author Topic: Valverde at 36th Ave. & Steinway  (Read 11975 times)

Offline kambric

• Citizen
    • KambriCrews.com
Valverde at 36th Ave. & Steinway
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
Valverde just opened yesterday and it's pretty cute.  Very tiny space but there is seating and delivery.

I had brunch there this morning.  $10 brunch menu includes OJ or coffee and a selection of eggs, paninis or pasta entrees.  My friend and I both got Crostino di Valverde (scrambled eggs with parmesan cheese over toasted brioche) which came with baby potatoes and field greens.  The eggs were excellent as was the service.

They gave us a free slice of homemade ricotta cheesecake that was tasty.  The owner (I think) said everything is made fresh from scratch, even the pasta.  They were super nice and very happy to see us there.  I'll be stopping by again for sure.

They didn't have a lunch menu for me to take yet...they're in the midst of printing them.  Dinner menu was posted in the window and seemed very reasonable with an average price for entrees at $15.

Offline nancy_in_dutch_kills

• Activist
Re: Valverde at 36th Ave. & Steinway
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
Thanks for the review. I was wondering about this place after having seen it under construction the past weeks.

I have a friend coming to visit next week and we'll definitely have to try it out.

Offline kambric

• Citizen
    • KambriCrews.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:15:19 PM »
I hope y'all enjoy it and I hope they do well.  I'm happy to see something other than a tire shop or lighting supply store on that corner!

Yuzu

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
Just walked by this today and it looks good. The sign on the window outside says something about fresh local produce/farms, can't remember exactly what else - but it sounded like a move in the right direction.

They also have a doggie station outside with water... aaaw.

Yuzu

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
Just coming back to say that we went tonight and had a great meal. The owners were very very friendly, happy to answer questions, and quite knowledgeable. They know their food!  It's still BYOB/W, but the liquor license is being processed. We had the branzino, a delicious grilled, white fish from Italy (seriously, the fish was amazing), and fettuccine with prosciutto and radicchio in a cream sauce... also delicious. We're looking forward to going back to try the brunch and will definitely go back for dinner again. Although we didn't possibly think we could eat another bite, we had the homemade ricotta cheesecake for dessert and it was light and delicious with a hint of lemon.

A place like this is a great addition to the neighborhood - I hope you all give it a try so they can stay in business!!

Offline rachelpink

• Tourist
    • Rachelpink Rides the Bus
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:00:06 PM »
I agree with everyone here--it's a great addition to the neighborhood.

I live right across the street, and I've eaten there four or five times. The staff is fantastic and the food is really yummy. I've had dinner and brunch--and the meals were all delicious. The caprese salad is especially fresh and delicious.

The staff is nice and accommodating to kids, food is fresh and good--I hope they're in business for a long time. It's a real neighborhood place which makes it a great addition to my stretch of Steinway.  Not that I don't love Captin Tire. . .

Offline mronda

• Citizen
  • Grrly snoozing on her stuffed monkey (pillow)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
I had dinner there this week and they did have wine - a really nice Spanish red, the name of which escapes me - so perhaps the liquor license has been secured.  I wholeheartedly agree that the caprese is very nice - the creamiest homemade mozzarella I've had here in the 11103.  I also had some fine lasagna. And of course the yum homemade focaccia.

It is a small place, warm and welcoming, and as others have said the staff are very friendly and knowledgable - they also read Astorians.com and welcomed my suggestion that they initiate their own web site to make delivery easier for internetted people in the hood.

Michelle

Offline JavaJay73

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 07:17:09 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree that the caprese is very nice - the creamiest homemade mozzarella I've had here in the 11103.

Actually they are in 11101.  I wish it was 11103 because then I would be living in Astoria again.

Offline mronda

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
Thanks Java for the correction; at least they are walking distance from my zip and doorstep. And BTW sweet beagle!

We had delivery for 4 people from them last night and food arrived within 35 minutes, hot, labeled and spill-free. If you are a pesto fan, the linguine pesto is really, really tasty.

Offline kalhel

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »
yummmmyyy... Anybody else had the lobster here? I have to say --that is some good stuff. I'm going back for the pesto; it seems they know about this pasta.

Anybody have tried their desserts?

Offline jwphotonyc

• Citizen
    • jwphotonyc.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »
Happy to add praise for this place.

I've been twice and both times the food was top notch and the service very welcoming, but not in a trying-too-hard type of way--just a good host (sorry, i don't know the gentleman's name yet.)  And prices are amazingly low for such high quality preparation.  They've got a nice "wine-tasting" to go along with the meals where they pour you a few different glasses for, i think, seven bucks.  I'd encourage everyone to stop by to ensure this little oasis thrives in such an odd location. 

One suggestion to the owners; if at all possible, replace those fluorescent lights! 

Offline mronda

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
Last time I ordered for delivery they sent a complimentary slice of a pretty tasty tiramisu. Was it the best tiramisu ever?  No. But it was light, not-too-sweet and delish. And free.

Offline kambric

• Citizen
    • KambriCrews.com
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 11:44:15 PM »
After having great breakfasts there a couple of times, I finally had dinner and was not disappointed.  If only pasta were diet friendly, I could review it for you.  Instead we had chicken (me lemon with thyme, him something with mushrooms) and enjoyed our dishes thoroughly.  We started out with salads which were hearty enough to split one serving and, as usual, the service was just perfect:  attentive enough without being overly so.

mc

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:29 PM »
I'm glad that you resurrected this thread; I've been meaning to add my review too.  I had a really delicious dinner of risotto with sausage ragu, and the ricotta cheesecake for dessert.  I highly recommend both!  The risotto portion was large enough that I brought half of it home for lunch the next day.  The owner brought us a sample of the linguini with pesto sauce which I will definitely try next.  I really hope that this little place does well.

By the way, has anyone tried the panini lunch special yet?

Offline kalhel

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »
I did --yummyy. Try the mozz & tomt. The Salmon panini is yummy as well. javascript:void(0);

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life