relax

Author Topic: Craft Group/Mafia general interest meeting  (Read 3408 times)

adornedbymorgan

Craft Group/Mafia general interest meeting
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
Hey!

I'd like to invite crafters, indie business entrepeneurs and anyone who likes to play with others in a setting that involves creative endeavors to come to a general interest meeting on Wednesday, May 23 at 7 p.m. I know some people had expressed they could not make the Astoria Crafty Knitty times, and this group would in fact be a separate entity so as to expand to other ventures and to preserve the ACK as it stands.

Let's get together and discuss the possibility of starting a group with regular meetings, events and workshops-- and even consider creating an Astoria craft mafia, if people are so inclined.

If you plan on coming, suggest a meeting spot (I know Tell Astorya was mentioned) and let me know you will be there! Sure I could go and craft by myself on Wednesday, but that wouldn't be as fun-- so if this is gonna happen, get on board and say hello!

Info about the craft mafia-ness can be found at: www.craftmafia.org.

Two things I will point out about starting that in Astoria: it involves a yearly membership fee and requires at least three creative members with different businesses (online counts) to start a group. Members do get the benefits of being part of a larger network, which is helpful in getting a name out there.

darcee

Re: Craft Group/Mafia general interest meeting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:05:49 AM »
I guess we need to firm up where we're meeting.  As far as coffee/cafes I know on this side of Astoria Blvd. there's TellAstorya, Esparks, Himalaya teahouse, and a few Starbucks.  What do you think?

Offline quinoa

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
I can definitely come at that time.

adornedbymorgan

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
Tell Astorya sounds fun, I'd try there if everyone is cool with that.

Anything you ladies think we should bring?

Or just show up with some fun ideas? =)

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
I definitely want to pop in, but i have a friend from out of town i might be having dinner with. If not, i will shoot up there.
Do we have a set location?
If it's Tell Astorya, is that the one that doesn't serve alcohol or is that Time Cafe that doesn't?
This week blows, i'll be wanting a drink on hump day.  :-D

adornedbymorgan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
Hey all! I'm not sure what the drink sitch is at Tell, I've never been=) But the address is 37-05 28th Ave.!

Also, Joey in Astoria (http://astorianyc.blogspot.com/) was kind enough to mention the g.i.m. tomorrow night, so let's make sure to show up and welcome whoever else wants to get in on the fun!

Start brainstorming...

<3 Rachel

adornedbymorgan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
Oh! And how should we recognize each other? Do I need to call this place ahead of time? I figure if we are just chatting and hanging out for now we don't really need to inform them what we are doing just yet... you know, until there's like, paint brushes and crafty elements strewn about.

I could wear a certain color and be a huge dork like that.

Keep me posted!

darcee

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Tell Astorya is relatively small- they have various tea, coffee, and snack items.  It's very low-key and laid back.  We should be able to recognize each other by crafting accessories and our general crafty cool aura. 

I think a tentative agenda is just introductions and discuss options for craft meetings including locations, dates, specialties, etc.  Anything else we need to add?

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »
wait...are we crafting or is this just a general "sit down" to discuss what we want to do.

If they're small it wouldn't be conducive to crafting.

adornedbymorgan

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 04:46:13 PM »
As of now, a general sit-down to really try and organize things and discuss forming a cohesive group.

Offline timarie

• Resident
    • Tache De Rousseur
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
This is happening tonight? I'm going to try and make it
for handmade jewelry: timarie.etsy.com

Offline quinoa

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:42:29 PM »
So the plan is tonight at 7pm at Tell Astorya?

I am as of now not sure I will end up making it this time. I have come down with a pretty bad case of bronchitis. I will see how I am feeling by tonight. But, if I don't make it I am 100% still interested in joining up with the group once it gets going. Normally Wednesdays are a good day.

Offline timarie

• Resident
    • Tache De Rousseur
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
anyone out there?
for handmade jewelry: timarie.etsy.com

darcee

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »
Just a quick meeting recap for those who missed it-
We will be meeting Wednesdays, 7pm at TellAstorya.
Three crafters attendend- representing yarn, jewelry, and paper crafts.

For next week we will be working on a group name.  Also, we are brainstorming ideas for a crafty summer kick-off bash at the end of June.  We're also going to have a bit of works-in-progress craft time and a bit of finished work show-and-tell.

I think I got everything- did I?

adornedbymorgan

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
Yup, you got it, Darcee!

It was so fun to sit down and chat with you ladies yesterday-- I'm already excited for next week.

I hope to meet everyone else next week, and as I was walking home yesterday-- I passed that Himalaya Tea House and noticed they have a cute outdoor eatery area, perhaps we could try there instead next week if the weather is nice?

You think in case, if we are bringing materials, we should clear it with the owners/managers first?

<3 Rachel

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life