relax

Author Topic: Spitzer's gay marriage bill  (Read 2815 times)

Offline angledge

• Activist
    • It's Quiz Time.
Spitzer's gay marriage bill
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
Does anyone think it is going to pass?

What should we be doing to help it along?

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
Re: Spitzer's gay marriage bill
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »
Spitzer doesn't even think its going to pass.  He's pushing it as a part of his campaign promises.  But you're not going to see too much strong arming from the gov to get this one going.

The good thing is that everyone will have to put their cards on the table. 
Molwv Labe

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
It will pass, but not this year.  The best we can hope for this year is passage by the New York State Assembly.  I think we have a solid 66 Assemblymembers ready to vote for marriage, and we need 76 to pass.  There are just over 50 members on the fence.  Once we get the numbers of committed yes votes up to 80, we will see a hearing in the Assembly Judiciary Committee, followed by a vote by the full Assembly.  In the Senate, the Republican leadership will not allow the bill a vote. 
As to what you can do, join Marriage Equality New York for the Wedding March over the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, May 19, 11 a.m. congregation in Foley Square, followed by a March over the Bridge and a rally/show in Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn.  It will be fun and will help raise awareness.  Letters to Assemblymember Michael Gianaris and State Senator George Onorato asking them to co-sponsor the bill are also in order!

Offline angledge

• Activist
    • It's Quiz Time.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:05:13 PM »
March, letter, letter.  Done, done, & done!  Thanks McDirk, it was good to hear the numbers & solid predictions on what will happen to the bill.

barrister15

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:40:55 AM »
McDirk, thanks for the info.

Anyone here planning on going?

Offline angledge

• Activist
    • It's Quiz Time.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »
I am definitely going to be at the Marriage March.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »
Glad to be of service. I'll be at the Wedding March (hopefully with my boyfriend in tow).  I'm the Political Director for MENY, so I'll be coordinating the elected officials participation.  We have a GREAT rally planned (Congressmember Anthony Weiner, Council Member John Liu, State Senator Tom Duane, Assemblymembers Danny O'Donnell, Dick Gottfried and Matt Titone all coming!)  (Matt is the newly elected openly gay Assemblymember from Staten Island!  Can you believe it!?)
I know Joepocky and his boyfriend (who is also on the MENY board) are coming and think we'll have a good sized Astoria contingent!  Maybe we can meet up and go as a group on the train?

Offline deaghaidh

• Citizen
    • Deaghaidh Recipes
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »
The boyfriend and I will definitely be there... the former just doesn't know it yet... ;o)

Offline deaghaidh

• Citizen
    • Deaghaidh Recipes
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
oops... won't he be delighted by the fact that I've inadvertently posted using his username!

-l'amour de deaghaidh

Offline angledge

• Activist
    • It's Quiz Time.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 09:45:33 PM »
oops... won't he be delighted by the fact that I've inadvertently posted using his username!

HAHAHAHAHA!  Well, see you there!  I'll be the girl in running gear & a shirt that says "Team in Training Mentor".

barrister15

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the gf and I will be in attendance as well... apparently she's been telling me about it for ages but I guess I, uh, wasn't paying attention.  :oops:

And to think, we're not even married... yet. :wink:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life