relax

Author Topic: Advice about Astoria neighborhoods  (Read 84169 times)

Offline Entangled

• Tourist
Re: Advice about Astoria neighborhoods
« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Would I would do  since u mentioned u can afford $3500,is either stick with the lesser rent or find a 1 bedroom in Astoria for the same price u pay now in Kew Gardens and save the rest of the would be rent money .  Then buy that condo .   U feel $2900 is too much for queens ?   Well don't ,   Astoria is one of the most wanted places around and plenty choose to live here over Manhattan like myself .  Rents are always going up here and the demand is still huge . In 4-5 yrs , that price can look like a steal .   BUT I really believe buying something makes a lot more sense .

Thank you! This is a sound advice. I am actually seriously considering that path. The rents are so high that it would probably amount to around $2500 a month with a mortgage. That condo was terrific, but the heat expense frightened me a bit. It's electric, so I'm sure it'll amount to more than $200 in the winter. We can easily be paying over $3K in the winter, for hot water, heat, gas and electricity.

Offline Entangled

• Tourist
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
I agree with these remarks.  A lot of long time Astoria residents gripe about it not being affordable.  Compared to 1985 Astoria, then yes, it's become very expensive.  Today's Astoria pricing is compared to living in Manhattan.  That makes Astoria very affordable while offering an easy commute to Midtown and a fantastic lifestyle.  I agree prices will rise according to pricing and supply and demand happening across the river and around Astoria/LIC.  I also agree that buying a property in Astoria is a very wise investment. The Queens waterfront is a market like no other part of Queens and that has to be realized before you can make quick judgments on price and value.

It's true that the area is desirable, however, what surprises me is how few units and buildings are attractive. My favorite buildings are from the 60s and 70s. They have thick walls, elevators and many have balconies. The pre-war buildings are large, but they have an aging infrastructure, no elevators and many lack closets.

Contemporary construction is my least favorite, yes, on the surface it's glamorous and glitzy, but it lacks overall integrity in the construction and layout. There are new appliances, spa-like bathrooms and perhaps a balcony, but the space is extraordinary small. Some of them are so small that the size of the living-room is the size of a small dining area in the kitchen - and that's what it looks like - eat in kitchen with no livingroom. The second bedroom can usually accomodate only a twin size bed, and the balcony is designed for one emaciated person who will just step out to feel the temperature and step back in (no space for a chair). Of course there are those with decks and large terraces but they are ultra-luxe for astronomical prices. Not to mention that the new construction economizes on resources and materials, so thin walls, floors and ceiling and the sound carries quite easily.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
More often than not, any new construction is going to be made with cheap material yet be called luxury.   Astoria really isn't known for coops.   If you want space - closets, elevators and laundry facilities - you're better off in Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights or other areas.  There are a few pre war coops in Astoria with elevators and laundry but you will have to seek them out.  Astoria is very desirable right now and Brooklyn is priced out so everyone is moving to Astoria.  It will be the most expensive area you look in - not counting LIC.  Good luck on your move!

Offline sweetgreekprncez

• Tourist
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »
i love Astoria:)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life