relax

Author Topic: Advice about Astoria neighborhoods  (Read 84222 times)

Offline DogBert

• Activist
Re: So how is Ditmars (lower) different from Astoria (steinway/broadway)?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:40 PM »
there's also a great supermarket 'hidden' in that shopping plaza on 36th street north of 20th ave.

it's more laid back over here than by bway and steinway. parking is pretty easy. I get pissed if I don't find a spot within say, 200 ft. of my place...

Offline Bookgirl83

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:21:53 PM »
I love that I always get a seat at Ditmars and that the train runs express sometimes.....

BUT I must say that almost every day/night you will be sitting on the train somewhere between 30th Ave, Astoria Blvd, and Ditmars waiting for a train in front of you to move out of the station. It can be very frustrating and in my experience lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes!

Other than that, it's great!  8-)

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 08:04:35 AM »
Ditmars appears to be changing every day.  We're getting lots of new stores and restaurants.  Funny thing, we don't have a Euro cafe.  I guess 30 Ave is Cafe Row.  I've lived all over Astoria and each one has its advantages.  But I can tell you this - my apartment at 20Ave and 27St is the quietest area of Astoria I've ever lived in.  It's so green it's like coming home to the country.  And since you have a car - the lower on Ditmars you go, after Steinway, the bigger the homes, and the nicer/bigger the yards!  It's total suburbia back there, I love it!

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
my boyfriend and i lived on 31st ave at steinway for a year. we just moved to 23rd ave in the 30's and i've got to say that the ditmars area is much nicer for us. not as crowded and dirty as steinway, and i find the same amenities (except for the cafe's, which for us is a plus). its much more of a neighborhood vibe, less larger buildings and more 2 and 3 family homes.  and you will be very close to the Best Yet Supermarket on 37th and 20th ave, which is great (it even has a real parking lot.. almost like the burbs).

being able to walk to the park is a major plus, as well as being much quieter than steinway.
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:25:08 AM »
I agree with what everyone has said on here so far.  I'm on 21st Ave in the mid-30's and my talk to the train is between 5-6 minutes (depending on speed).  As Daisy said, it's so quiet that you feel like you are in the 'burbs yet a block away (for me) there is everything Ditmars has to offer!

Welcome to our neck of the woods!

lobber

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Ditmars rocks.  That's not to put off central and lower Astoria (although I have not spent much time in lower except at Kaufmann -- but will now try Sunswick's too).  I do frequent central astoria (C&P's, the Rover, the cafe's on 30th, etc..), bit there is nothing like the homey feeling of strolling down Ditmars to the park, eating at the many local establishments too numerous to count, and getting a seat in the morning on the way to work.  Ditmars is a good choice, welcome.

Offline jayladdin

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:57 PM »
I echo Alison on just about all counts, seriously, since I also live on Steinway by 21st Ave (and hear the same trucks in the morning...grr).

I used to live on Broadway and 29th.  I really liked all the restaurants in the area (especially the falafel cart on 30th and Bway - I still drive back there every few weeks), and I enjoyed getting home a touch earlier from the city, but I've lived in this area for 4 years now and wouldn't go back to the Broadway area.  This area feels more like a family neighborhood to me than the Broadway area.  It's safe, street parking is way, way easier (I used to spend upwards of 30 minutes looking for spots at night near Broadway), and yeah, you always get a seat on the train.  Plus, I can't explain it, but there's something really wonderful about the cobblestone-ish Ditmars/31st St intersection.

You'll love it here!

TAG

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 12:47:47 AM »
I was just walking around Ditmars today and the difference from 30th ave (where I've been a couple years) hit me more than usual. I guess it's because all the cafebars are in full swing now with the warm (hot) weather. I would like  to move up there, away from the cafe madness, but hmm I wonder how much rents have jumped since I got my current place 2.5 years ago...

bostoncremeqtpie

Safe Neighborhood?
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I may be moving to Welling Court/12th Street and I was wondering if that's a safe area for a female living on their own.  It's a bit of a walk to the subway so I wanted to know if any of you guys can provide some insight on the area.  Do you think it'll be OK to walk from the station alone at night (say around 10ish)?

Thanks!

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Safe Neighborhood?
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »
I am a tough-as-nails, Astoria born, disabled, former teen gang member, female senior and you couldn't pay me to walk down there from the N train at 10:00 at night. Have your already signed a lease? Can you get out of it and find somewhere else. Of course, this is just my personal opinion.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

ChicagoCarless

General Neighborhood Safety
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 10:52:50 PM »
I'm a native New Yorker returning to town from four years in Chicago and strongly considering Astoria as my new neighborhood.  I've visited various parts of the neighborhood at various times of day in the past week.  I'd like to know what current residents think about neighborhood safety.  Do you think Astoria is safe in the evening, the late evening?  Are there areas you tend to avoid?  Do you feel comfortable walking around after dark (I'd love to hear responses to this from single women and gay residents, particularly). 

I ask because it seems to me that the diverse population of the neighborhood gets along at first glance, but I also have noticed tension on the street between members of different cultures/backgrounds too.  The reputation of Astoria is as a diverse but safe community where everyone more or less gets along.  Is it?

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
I agree with NYCMacUser. I am a female that regularly comes home to Astoria after 10PM, but I live very close to the train. I would not want to walk that far out at night. You'll find that the further you get away from the train station, the fewer people will be walking around you. Chances are you'll be walking that stretch alone most nights, and the distance between blocks is long. I would definitely advise against it.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 08:40:43 AM »
I'm also female and have lived here all my life. I've never even BEEN to that area and wouldn't
touch it even during the day.

There have to be other spaces in other areas of Astoria. It's your call, but if you can get out of it, then
do so.

Good luck.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »
There are so many better and safer areas of Astoria than 12th St.  Even during the day, that area can look very sketchy.  I would keep shopping, you have so many better areas to be looking in.

bostoncremeqtpie

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies!  I haven't signed a lease and will definitely NOT consider it anymore.  I'll continue looking.  Thanks again everyone!  :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life