relax

astorians.com to shut down -> Read more here

Author Topic: This is not against gay people.  (Read 8150 times)

notgay

This is not against gay people.
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »
I moved to the United States in January 2000. To Manhattan. The homosexual situation there was too much for me so I moved to this area Astoria. I would like to preferace this by saying I am not anti homosexual in any way. I moved to Astoria because I felt this was a place for more straight family life, children and a very safe community.
I was referred to your site by a few friends who are as disgusted by it as me. Once again may I please say I am not anti homosexual or any preferace. Manhattan is  a great place to live if that is your way.
I write because where I am from they a have a much more intolerable (and admittedly wrong) way of dealing with this. I do not condone that in any way. A place like manhattan could not exist there. However it seems all of the people who are over populating Astoria now feel the need to bring this down morally as well.
I ask you please respectfully stop "gay clubs" or things of that nature not entirely but limit them to a more non family area of here as in manhattan. I do not mean to incite any ill will i just want to express a point of view for many people who now are very happy to be citizens of America and residents of astoria.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:29:02 PM by notgay »

Offline heff

• Mayor
    • TAWQ
Re: This is not against gay people.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
I've got several gay friends who have a better monogamous relationships then my straight friends.  And through them I've met some older gay couples who either adopted or had children before coming out, and having spent time with them and their children I can say that being gay does not negate being family oriented.

People often write off homosexuality as non-family and non-child safe, but is watching a straight couple getting it on any more family friendly than watching a gay couple get it on?  No its not.  What I think most people have a hard time with is that homosexuality is different from what most of us are used to from our childhood, and so rather than change their world view they elect to change the world to fit their view.  And rather than say, "Gay people creep me out so I don't want them around", which sounds kinda shallow, they reframe the argument into "Gay people aren't family oriented and are therefore bad for families".  Also not true.  I would recommend making an effort, while here in NYC and surrounded by so many people with different ways of life (from gay to straight, Christian to Muslim, etc to etc), to perhaps learn that its not what people are that define them, its how they behave.

(heff gets down from his soapbox)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »
I don't think Astoria is the place to be if you want to avoid gay people enough to actually move to get away from them.

Nice soap box, heff.

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
Not to state the obvious, but Notgay, you are homophobic. I'm not sure what you want Astorians to help you with but your post is offensive and ignorant.

PizzaTheHut

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
This thread is going to be a fun one.

flooz

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »
heff, i don't even think there is a need to answer that ________(fill in your own expletive) post.

oh sad sad sad sad people

and we're done here.

Offline heff

• Mayor
    • TAWQ
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:17 PM »
Just wanted to get a nice polite response in before it all goes to hell.

flame on

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
I suspect that this topic was created just to incite people. I wouldn't take it seriously or waste any energy or time responding to it.

notgay

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:10:05 PM »
Atleast in my area (Steinway street from Astoria Blvd. to 30 avenue) we believe strongly in family. Yes, gays can be very nice civilzed non violent and law abiding. This is not my complaint in any way.

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
Something is rotten in the state of denmark.  It reads like a borat impersonator.

Ya pick your toes in Poughkeepsie don't ya?!
Molwv Labe

Offline heff

• Mayor
    • TAWQ
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
If indeed he does live where he claims, plus on another post Mr. (ahem) Notgay is looking for good place to get lamb and chicken, its possible that he's egyptian or from that area.  Or a phony.  Maybe he's real astoria fella in polite dissenter disguise.

On scooby doo this is where we'd tear off the mask and it'd be Old Man Carson from the run down amusement park.

Offline real astoria fella

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
Whoaaaaa, Frap, Take it easy buddy. Just because the guy says he's from Steinway st., and happens to live in a very "Muslim" area, does not mean you can stereotype him as a Borat. Yeah, he's intolerant, and lives in a certain area known for a certain type of people, but going down to his level, to say he's a stupid Borat is wrong.  just my opinion.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
I know so many gay people, and I haven't met one that I didn't like (well, that's not entirely true, but that's not based upon their sexual orientation, but rather their personality). It does seem that I have met more gay people since moving to NYC, but I think that it is because NYC is more gay-friendly than many other areas of the country. That being said, I am of the frame of mind that gay people are everywhere (Astoria, Kew Gardens, Upper West Side, Coney Island, Staten Island, Kansas, Utah, Bible Belt, etc., etc., etc.), so I imagine you'll have a hard time finding that utopia of non-gayness that you are seeking. Good luck, though.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

notgay

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
nothing i've written should incite you to make a Borat joke. It seems a civilized conversation about wanting the neighborhood i raise my family is not allowed but racism towards Muslim is alive and well.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
I am big on family too. I think family is important. I think family is so important that I make a special effort to reach out to my gay family members and let them know that I love and support them. I think family is so important that I will become family to a gay person who has been alienated by his blood relatives.

I call troll.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life